PDA

View Full Version : Monorail delay

DisneyBob
01-10-2004, 08:41 PM
I was in line at Dowtown Disney to get on a monorail when a CM announced on the PA that there would be a delay for monorail operation -- she announced that there were people on Autopia who had stopped their vehicles, got out, and went running around on the track. For safety percautions, all 600 volts on the monorail beam were cut, Autopia temporarily discontinued sending more cars through, and the steam trains also stopped. The delay lasted about 45 minutes. In the end, the 2 boys were caught... a CM at the Tomorrowland station told me that the boys and their father (especially) got in very big trouble.

kijay
01-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Did they actually announce all that over the PA? What kind of idiots did this? And what is really big trouble? Make them ride Superstar Limo repeatedly until their minds melted (probably once, all it took for me)? Goes to show that people check their brains at the gate. How inconsiderate of these people, that their little stunt caused so many others problems. Probably will go and brag to their fellow morons about how much fun they had. Losers.:mad:

DrIndianaJones
01-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Hopefully these idiots got permenently banned from the park.:eek: They could have gotten themselves killed, or worse, caused another person, either guest or CM, to be injured or killed.
The park is already stuggling with an "unsafe" image as of late, that could have compounded the problem.

MonorailMan
01-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I've heard that this is why the Disney lawyers want to install over-the-shoulder restraints on the Autopia.

kijay
01-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Great, give the lawyers another excuse to meddle with another ride. The lawyers would have us walking around in bubble wrap if they could get away with it, not riding anything or doing anything but shopping (btw, was Pressler or Harris lawyers? Sounds like their logic to me.:p )

Dlandmom
01-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by kijay
Great, give the lawyers another excuse to meddle with another ride. The lawyers would have us walking around in bubble wrap if they could get away with it, not riding anything or doing anything but shopping (btw, was Pressler or Harris lawyers? Sounds like their logic to me.:p )

Don't blame the lawyers. Blame those few idiots that cause problems like this. The lawyers are just trying to protect their company from ridiculous lawsuits. You can bet that if those boys got hurt during their stunt, they would've sued Disney for millions.

Remember the Roger Rabbit incident? CM's are now more wary about having adults ride on the outside of a ride vehicle. While waiting in line with my daughter at Peter Pan, a CM instructed a dad to please move over to the outside of the pirate ship and have the children sit on the inside. He actually had a bit of an attitude about it, but thankfully did it without too much commotion. Okay, even if a CM didn't tell me to do this, don't you think it's almost common sense to have a larger person sit on the outside so that a small child couldn't fall or climb out?!

By the way, I'm not a lawyer...I just play one on MousePad.

Phydeaou
01-12-2004, 09:47 AM
For the benefit of the human race, we should leave the 600 volt monorail beam on and hope that they come in contact with it.

Dlandmom, I completly agree with you about the lawyers. They are just covering their assets.

Dlandmom
01-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Phydeaou
Dlandmom, I completly agree with you about the lawyers. They are just covering their assets.

CYA, right?;)

MrVor
01-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Generally we don't mind telling guests the problem so long as it's not a direct safety concern on an attraction itself. Of course we won't tell you if a guidewheel fell off, but we will tell you if it's a CFA run or a "guest-caused" delay. Generally people understand much better when it comes to human stupidity/health as opposed to mechanical concerns... and of course, and this goes without saying, if there's a small child around we generally will not go into any details regarding downtimes for obvious reasons.

We tend to get "out of bounders" from autopia rather frequently (once-twice a week usually), and it's typically a pretty painless affair. It's usually because someone will put their young child in a seperate car, then decide, for some odd reason, to stop during the middle of the ride, get out, and bring the child to their own car. There's a ton of CM's posted on the track to make sure this doesn't happen, but it's not impossible in the least. There's been several times I recall empty cars being pushed in by the car behind them because of drivers switching.

The specific downtime the original poster spoke of only lasted about 30 minutes, and from what we were told on the scene, turned up no "offenders".

efoxx
01-12-2004, 03:11 PM
stupid people are the problem, as are the lawyers. but most of all it is juries (also stupid people). lawyers wouldn't take cases if they knew juries would consider common sense instead of deep pockets.
yeterday we saw a mother with a small child, under two. the child was riding on the roof of a kiddie car attached to the top of a shopping cart. it would have been about a three foot drop onto a hard floor, asuming that nothing hit him in the head on the way down. and you bet that if that had happened some lawyer would take the case to sue the grocery store for not putting warning labels or some such thing. never mind the stupidity of the mother. but the lawyer would know that a jury would see the deep pockets of the corp. and gladly pay out. that is if it even made it to court. many companies know their odds, and pay out quickly to avoid even higher costs.

mountainrange
01-12-2004, 04:40 PM
this is at least better than people picking up their cars and driving aroungd the landscaping like they used to.

I hope that dad got a night in jail.