PDA

View Full Version : Honey (Hunny) flavored popcorn appreciation thread

MotorBoat Cruiser
01-10-2004, 11:01 AM
For the last two months, my friend and I have been trying to get a taste of the honey flavored popcorn but everytime we went to the stand (near splash mountain) they were always out of it. I think we tried at least 6 or 7 times. Last week, we went and asked about it and found out, much to our delight, that there would be a batch ready in about 5 minutes. The CM was just putting the finishing touches on it. While standing in line, the person behind us stated that this was worth the wait and in his words "Awesome". So we waited...

Lo and behold, we finaly got our box of this treat and it lived up to our expectations. It was still warm but nowhere near as sticky as we thought it might be. The honey flavor was quite prevalent and yummy. Two of us were unable to finish the box, it was just a little too much sugar for one sitting, but we gave it our best try and loathed throwing away the remains of what we had waited so long for.

As an aside, this all occurred at around 10am, not too long after we arrived. We knew this was going to be a good day in the park because it started on such a happy note. And it turned out to be wonderful. We walked over to the monorail and were waiting in line right before the ramp. There was a wonderful cast member there named Terry who played a Disney trivia game with us and he was a really nice guy. He asked some hard questions too! Then, when it was out time to board, we were able to get the last car on the monorail, something I had always wanted to do since I was a little kid. We ended up making a round trip and it was fantastic. All in all a great Disney day that started with a box of the best popcorn I had ever tasted.

Darkbeer
01-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Popcorn is Happy Food!!!!!!:fez:

poohbunnieshutch
01-10-2004, 01:41 PM
But wayyy tooo much sugar for my diabetic heart :)

Andrew
01-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the report! I've walked by that cart a few times and considered trying the new flavor, but always found some reason not to. I'll be sure to try it next time.

Originally posted by MotorBoat Cruiser
Two of us were unable to finish the box, it was just a little too much sugar for one sitting, but we gave it our best try and loathed throwing away the remains of what we had waited so long for.

What did you do with the rest of the box, then? Or did you toss it anyway?

I would hesitate at giving it to the ducks, because I don't know if the additional sugar would be healthy for them. Then again, these ducks eat french fries all day...

Then, when it was out time to board, we were able to get the last car on the monorail, something I had always wanted to do since I was a little kid. We ended up making a round trip and it was fantastic.

Do you mean the tailcone? I thought their bogus "security restrictions" had them not loading the tailcone any more. Good to hear they've lifted, if true.

Thanks!

Darkbeer
01-10-2004, 02:21 PM
They have been loading the tail cone, but not the Drivers compartment for awhile now....

YAY Popcorn!:cool:

Disneyfreak
01-10-2004, 03:51 PM
The carmel popcorn at DCA is better then the honey popcorn you get at Disneyland! You can find it in condor flats.

Darkbeer
01-10-2004, 04:49 PM
You can also find it near the sun in Sunshine Plaza, though it got moved to near Greetings for Santa's Beach Bash.

CarlieB
01-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Mmmmm, "hunny" popcorn...:)

We meant to try this last time but never got around to it (too many churros:D ) Gonna have to try it next time now - thanks for the review:)

MotorBoat Cruiser
01-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Thanks for the report! I've walked by that cart a few times and considered trying the new flavor, but always found some reason not to. I'll be sure to try it next time.

The best time to approach the cart apparently is while they are still in the process of making it, and waiting for a few minutes. It is worth the wait and it will be still warm. It didn't look like they are able to make a very big batch at a time and my understanding is that it sells out pretty quickly.

What did you do with the rest of the box, then? Or did you toss it anyway?

It saddens me to say that we did, indeed, throw it away. We considered giving it to someone but decided that nobody would take it for obvious reasons.

Do you mean the tailcone? I thought their bogus "security restrictions" had them not loading the tailcone any more. Good to hear they've lifted, if true.

Yeah, it was the tailcone section. I've seen quite a few people in there recently so the restrictions must have been lifted a while back. It was a little warm in there at first but a CM offerred to turn up the air for us and then it became far more comfortable. What a great view there is.

MotorBoat Cruiser
01-10-2004, 07:09 PM
A question...

Do the other caramel corn stands in DCA have the same honey flavor or are they standard issue caramel corn? The honey taste is what really sold me.

Polar33
01-10-2004, 09:17 PM
The hunny corn is indeed very tasty...especially when it's one of my batches. :D

Unfortunately it takes a very long time to make it. One batch from start to finish takes about 25-30 minutes. And one batch is only enough for about 15-20 boxes, so it's usually always gone way before the next batch is ready. We do make some backstage and deliver it to the wagon as well, but even with that added support it sells out frequently.

Last time I was at DCA (December) their popcorn wagons were selling the hunny corn as well. I tend to not pay too much attention to DCA ODV's daily changes so if they have gone back to selling regular carmel corn since then, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Disneyfreak
01-10-2004, 10:21 PM
The carmel popcorn is different. What is good about the carmel popcorn is that 2 people can actually finish the thing. It is sweet but not so sweet you can hardly finish half the box. It is chewy, hot, and delicious. Mouth watering.....:D

David Disney
01-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Polar33, we meet again...

This is iluvdisneyland on LaughingPlace.com, by the way.

"Pop 7," as it's known backstage, or the Wunny Hagon as I lovingly call it, is an exceptionally slow wagon. As my coworker Polar33 said, it takes roughly a half an hour for one batch to prepare, and then it sells amazingly fast.

You can purchase both regular, salt/buttered popcorn and the honey-flavored popcorn, along with Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, or Dasani, at this wagon. A regular scoop of Popcorn costs $3.00, while a scoop of the honey-flavored popcorn will cost $4.00.

The honey-flavored popcorn is flavored with real honey and a type of caramel popcorn mix. In my opinion, it's great! :)

kijay
01-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Huuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy
God can't wait for May.:D

BryanPeek
01-11-2004, 07:18 PM
This is some awesome stuff...Way better then I expected. I can't wait to go back and get some more!

Darkbeer
01-11-2004, 09:18 PM
In case you don't know where the "Popcorn is Happy Food" quote comes from, it was a newspaper article from last year...

http://www.thesunlink.com/redesign/2003-05-07/features/food/142025.shtml

Popcorn is happy food. A handful has the heft of air. Its crunch is delightful, its smell irresistible.

Americans treasure popcorn. Each of us crunches through 58 quarts a year. Movies enjoyed at home or in theaters are the perfect complement to popcorn and its hybrids -- caramel corn and kettle corn.

:fez: :cool:

swtkissez
01-11-2004, 10:09 PM
DCA has stopped selling honey corn, just caramel and regular...

thank goodness, it was a pain to make...