PDA

View Full Version : I would like to clear up the SAC for you all

ToursbabeC3po
01-09-2004, 09:43 PM
SAC cards are for those who have Nonapparent disabilities like neurological disorders or children with autisum that is the only people that will be getting this pass from now on. If you have a wheel chair or you rent one they WILL GIVE YOU THE pass but they will mark it saying you have a wheelchair.....That means if the line is wheelchair accessible you will wait in the line even with the pass......If you walk up to a cast member with a pass that says wheelchair on it we will tell you to go get your wheel chair and wait in the line.....These rules are not going to change they are here to stay.....I myself am disabled and I think these new rules are wonderful!!!! It was completely out of control for a long time! Disney is following the ADA law because the lines that will be required to wait in are ADA approved for wheel chairs to wait in.....The only reason one would need to go to the exit is if the line was built before the ADA law was passed and a wheelchair cannot fit through the line.
Disney can ask for a doctors note or proof if they wish because a SAC card is a courtesy that they provide....It is not something we have to provide...We can also ask for ID's to prove that the person on the note is you.....This is not descrimination.... Discrimination is when you deny someone something because of who they are or what they look like...Disney is not denying anything from anyone....(unless you are faking)

adriennek
01-09-2004, 11:12 PM
So why then, when a family walked in with a note from the Children's Hospital at Stanford University, explaining their child's needs, were they completely denied anything to help them??

The system isn't working.

Adrienne

The Mouse Is Back
01-09-2004, 11:48 PM
I am curious, when you say children with autism, do you mean children of any age? My daughter is an adult with autism, meaning she has the full spectrum of behaviors. When she was younger, I asked many times for some kind of special assistance pass, and was refused.

Most of the time when we go to DL, she is okay to stand in the lines. In fact, I think it is probably one of the best ways for her to practice her focus and socially appropriate behavior, because it is a safe environment and people tend to be nice to her once they realize she is disabled.

Anyway, my question is, if she is having a particularly hard time with lines, would she be eligible for a card.

And BTW, I read the post about the little girl with the note from the Children's Hospital, and really, what an idiotic stance that was for the staff at City Hall to take. I would hope they get their act together soon so something like that doesn't happen again.

-Allegra-

ToursbabeC3po
01-09-2004, 11:53 PM
So why then, when a family walked in with a note from the Children's Hospital at Stanford University, explaining their child's needs, were they completely denied anything to help them??

If they had a note saying that the child is unable to stand in line because of there condition and a wheel chair would not work for them they would not deny the pass to them......Sometimes when people are angree about things they start making stuff up....
Did this happen to you?
What was the childs needs?
Each situation requires a differant action......If the note simply said that the child could not stand in line because he or she had a broken leg yes guest services would tell them to go get a wheel chair because the child can still sit in a chair......IF the child has a mental imparment and can not stand or sit in the line that is differant so disney would handle that differantly.....Another big one is sun allergies....They will put on the pass that the guest can not wait in the sun so the guest would only have to wait in the portion of the line that is out of the sun......They are accomidating each need the way it needs to be accomidated instead of throwing a pass at anyone who ask for it....This is the way the system should have always been and people got spoiled by it....Now like little kids they are whinning and crying because they are not getting there way......
I have a son that is autistic, I myself have health issues and I think this is a fair system.....

The Mouse Is Back
01-09-2004, 11:59 PM
toursbabe, how old is your son, and how is he doing?

I would still like to know if my daughter could get a pass, should she need one.

Also I am curious, how long have they recognized autism as a disability at DL? It doesn't seem like it was that many years ago, during a time when my daughter was going through some terrible problems with behaviors and medication changes, that I asked on more than one occasion for a special assitance pass for her, and was denied. One CM actually told me that autism was not a disability.

-Allegra-

ToursbabeC3po
01-10-2004, 12:11 AM
My son is 11 and is doing great he is verbal now and does not stop talking LOL.....Yes you can get the pass for your daughter but what I tend to do with my son is have him wait in the fast pass que at least because it teaches him to be socail and to learn to wait for things.....IT is healthy for him to wait in line a bit but if the line is more then 30 mins and there is not fast pass we go through the specail acess doors....

SteveSatch
01-10-2004, 12:13 AM
We went today and they would not give my son a pass. He is four. He's deaf, has sensory integration disorder, and A.D.D. Making him wait in line is torture for him and everyone in line around him. I'm quite angry right now.

ToursbabeC3po
01-10-2004, 12:14 AM
I just read the rest of your post and it amazes me that they did that to you? Are you sure you were at Disneyland because before if you just asked for a pass they gave it to you no questions asked.....Now they are going to ask you what type of assistance do you need.....And if you explain that your daughter is autistic it should not be a problem.

The Mouse Is Back
01-10-2004, 12:50 AM
toursbabe, yes indeed, it was at DL. Probably about ten(?) years ago, and when I asked for a pass (I didn't know the right name of it) and told the CM at City Hall that my daughter was disabled, he asked what type of disability. When I told him autism, he said that autism was not on their list of disabilities! She was having horrible problems at the time and couldn't tolerate standing in line, she would be running back and forth and going under the chains, etc. because she was so hyper.

He told me that I *might* be able to get a pass if I brought documentation from her doctor and her school.

I said it in one of my other posts, but I totally agree with you, waiting in line at DL is a fantastic way for our kids to learn patience and practice their social behavior. My daughter loves to touch ladies' hair, especially if it's straight with bangs, and she'll just reach out without asking. And since she doesn't appear disabled at first glance, she has not always gotten a friendly response. Depending on how well she's doing, she can handle a line of 30 mins. or maybe a little more, but the noisier and more crowded it is, the faster her behavior starts breaking down. I get concerned because she will start doing the "hair petting" thing with children, and the parents are quite startled sometimes.

She is much better than she was during the time that I was actually asking for passes before, but she still has her moments and it isn't easy to predict when she'll just kind of bottom out.

SteveSatch, I am sorry and appalled that your child was not given a pass!! That is not right.

They really need to have only senior CMs (leads?) doing the SAC until everybody gets trained better.

-Allegra-

ToursbabeC3po
01-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Well all I am going to bed I have to be at work in a few hours.....Just to let you know I did not write this post to upset anyone as I too have several medical conditions on of them is Fibromyalgia my son is also Autistic....I am just telling you what was told to me so that you may understand it more. I just think that the system needed to be changed.... Maybe they are going about it the wrong way I don't know but something had to be done it was out of control.
One thing I have learn is that you can never make everyone happy. So no matter what Disney ends up doing someone is going to get upset about it......But we will still come back because we love it there :-)

cstephens
01-10-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by ToursbabeC3po
I just read the rest of your post and it amazes me that they did that to you? Are you sure you were at Disneyland because before if you just asked for a pass they gave it to you no questions asked.....

I thought that was a rather odd question, asking if he was sure he was at Disneyland. I would think he'd know which amusement park he was at.

And I might get slammed for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. ToursbabeC3po - just a friendly suggestion: your posts have some interesting information but are really difficult to read because everything is run together. Instead of using ellipses (...), perhaps breaking the blocks up into paragraphs would be a good alternate. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

adriennek
01-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Re: the child with the note from Stanford, I'm in a rush so I don't have time to link it, but the story came from a MousePad member who posted it in the Theme Park Access Guide Forum. If you go to that forum you'll see a lot more about this topic and experiences of people who NEED passes but are no longer being given passes.

Originally posted by ToursbabeC3po
I just read the rest of your post and it amazes me that they did that to you? Are you sure you were at Disneyland because before if you just asked for a pass they gave it to you no questions asked.....Now they are going to ask you what type of assistance do you need.....And if you explain that your daughter is autistic it should not be a problem.

See, this is the problem exactly. People who SHOULD be getting passes are being denied passes on a regular basis. With all due respect, as a CM on an attraction, you're not going to be seeing this. You'll see the people who are given passes or cards. You'll see people with wheelchairs. But you never saw the child from Stanford because her family did not go on ANY rides during their visit. They couldn't.

Adrienne