View Full Version : Tower of Terror Event Announced

AVP
01-09-2004, 02:28 PM
EVENT: THE TWILIGHT ZONE TOWER OF TERROR EVENT

EVENT DATE: April 22-23, 2004

EVENT LOCATION: Disneyland Resort

EVENT TIME: Evening

EVENT INFORMATION:

Take a journey back in time to the 1930's when Hollywood was at its height and big band music filled the halls. Face your fears as you experience a misadventure at the new Hollywood Tower Hotel. It's sure to be a scream!

TIP-TOP CLUB Event Package

Exclusive Dinner in The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERRORattraction (4/22/04)
ONE (1) night accommodation at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel® (4/22/04 only) *
Breakfast at a Disneyland Resort Hotel Restaurant (maximum dollar limit and other restrictions apply)
Lunch at Golden Vine Winery (4/23/04) (maximum dollar limit and other restrictions apply)
Hors d'oeuvres & Refreshments
Swinging Entertainment
Ride on The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERRORattraction
Opportunity to Pre-Purchase The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERRORMerchandise (Pins, Art & Collectibles)
Commemorative Gift

TICKET SALE INFORMATION:

Tickets for the TIP-TOP CLUB event package are $1,595.00 per person. Limited to 50 tickets.

No discounts will be offered in conjunction with this package.

*Standard accommodations; one person per room. Includes room rate and tax only. Couples purchasing the "TIP-TOP CLUB Event Package" will be offered a second night hotel accommodation (consecutive to the first night - 4/22/04) in a standard room/double occupancy at the Disneyland Hotel in lieu of two rooms for one night. Subject to availability.

ALL ELEMENTS OF THE EVENT ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. No items in this package may be redeemed for cash, and all items (and portions thereof) are non-refundable, non-transferable and will be forfeited if not used in conjunction with The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERROREvent. Other restrictions apply. Separate admission is required to enter Disneyland Resort Theme Park prior to the event.

Reservations for The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERROREvent will be accepted via www.DisneyGallery.com beginning, February 9, 2004 at 9:00 a.m. (Pacific Time).

The Twilight Zone® is a registered trademark of CBS, Inc., and is used with permission pursuant to a license from CBS, Inc.

Disney

__________________________________________________ _________________

SUNSET ROOM Event Package

ONE (1) night accommodation at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel® (4/23/04 only) *
Breakfast at a Disneyland Resort Hotel Restaurant (maximum dollar limit and other restrictions apply)
Entry into Disney's California AdventureÔ park (on 4/23/04 - Evening Event only)
Swinging Entertainment
Ride on The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERRORattraction (4/23/04)
Opportunity to Pre-Purchase The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERRORMerchandise (Pins, Art & Collectibles)
Commemorative Gift

TICKET SALE INFORMATION:

Tickets for the SUNSET ROOM event package are $465.00 per person. Limited to availability.

No discounts will be offered in conjunction with this package.

*Standard accommodations; one person per room. Includes room rate and tax only. Couples purchasing the "SUNSET ROOM Event Package" will be offered a second night hotel accommodation (consecutive to the first night - 4/23/04) in a standard room/double occupancy at the Disneyland Hotel in lieu of two rooms for one night. Subject to availability.

ALL ELEMENTS OF THE EVENT ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.

No items in this package may be redeemed for cash, and all items are non-refundable, non-transferable and will be forfeited if not used in conjunction with The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERROREvent. Other restrictions apply. Separate admission is required to enter Disneyland Resort Theme Parks prior to the event.

Reservations for The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERROREvent will be accepted via www.DisneyGallery.com beginning February 9, 2004 at 9:00 a.m. (Pacific Time).

The Twilight Zone® is a registered trademark of CBS, Inc., and is used with permission pursuant to a license from CBS, Inc.

Disney

__________________________________________________ _________________

STARDUST ROOM Event Package

Entry into Disney's California AdventureÔ park (on 4/23/04 - Evening Event Only)
Swinging Entertainment
Ride on The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERRORattraction (4/23/04)
Commemorative Gift

TICKET SALE INFORMATION:

Tickets for the STARDUST ROOM event package are $125.00 per person. Limited to availability. No discounts will be offered in conjunction with this package.

ALL ELEMENTS OF THE EVENT ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.

No items in this package may be redeemed for cash, and all items (and portions thereof) are non-refundable, non-transferable and will be forfeited if not used in conjunction with The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERROREvent. Other restrictions apply. Separate admission is required to enter Disneyland Resort Theme Parks prior to the event.

Reservations for The Twilight Zone TOWER OF TERROREvent will be accepted via www.DisneyGallery.com beginning February 9, 2004 at 9:00 a.m. (Pacific Time).

Disney

DISNEYLAND DelivEARS & Walt Disney Event Services will not accept any phone calls, faxes or e-mails regarding these events at this time.

MonorailMan
01-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by AVP

Tickets for the TIP-TOP CLUB event package are $1,595.00 per person.

:eek:
But I so want too...

Morrigoon
01-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Stardust room sounds good enough for me. Too bad I have no money :rolleyes: Ah well, one of these days I'll be a successful stockbroker and can afford the nice stuff....

innerSpaceman
01-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Um, how about I pay nothing and just not be among the first 500 people to ride? I think I can live with that.

So, when are preview days?

Not Afraid
01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

So, when are preview days?

I thought they were the 22 & 23.

Well, I will either get a FP or wait and wait until sometime in October.

I an NOT doing the expensice Disney scramble anymore.:mad:

zapppop
01-09-2004, 06:45 PM
I agree with iSm.

I'll wait til my 25th b-day and ride it for free then.

Darkbeer
01-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Wait, the cheapest package is more expensive than Knott's Winter Solace, which comes with 2 nights hotel, 3 meals, and a lot of exclusive time in the park....

I will ride ToT if they offer AP previews for free, or wait until May 4th...

But I am going to Knott's Winter Solace!!!!!!!:fez:

Oh yeah, at Knott's, they give you a free T-Shirt, and do not try to sell you merchandise, the only thing they do is sell raffle tickets to raise money for charity, and you can win some cool stuff for just a few bucks....

NirvanaMan
01-09-2004, 10:20 PM
That's freaking insane. $1600 a person....wow where can I get some of that cracy they are smoking.

Not Afraid
01-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by NirvanaMan
That's freaking insane. $1600 a person....wow where can I get some of that cracy they are smoking.

Yeah. For $1600, I can go to DLP for a week with a bit of Paris on the side.:rolleyes:

KarenW2
01-09-2004, 11:17 PM
You'd think at the Tip-Top price, or even the Sunset price, a couple should be able to get their room for BOTH nights at the GCH, not one night at the GCH and then the second night at DLH!! If I paid that much money, I wouldn't want to have to change hotels!!

It sure would be nice to be at the "exclusive" dinner tho.

I wonder if this event will have as many event changes as the Sleeping Beauty NON-Ball event!

Thanks for posting the info Adrienne!

kijay
01-10-2004, 09:04 PM
And for that $1600 fleecing, ahem, event, how many times do you get to ride the ride? Bet only once. Guess I can wait to ride it for free too. Can even ride it more than once if I want to. What a racket Disney has cooked up. Only thing scarier is the suckers, ahem, people, who will actually pony up their money for this. BTW, can we get a name list so I can sell them a certain bridge in Brooklyn, or some prime Arizona beachland? :rolleyes: :~D

DrIndianaJones
01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Hehehehe...I bet you could try selling them dehydrated water, just add water and shake!

If I had $1,600 I wouldn't spend it on this. How silly that they make you change hotels too, what a drag!

adriennek
01-10-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm not surprised by the tip-top package- I have some theories about why Disney's offering it - and why they've probably mis-judged the popularity of the package.

The idea of putting a high value on a meal inside an attraction started with the Haunted Mansion. When they charged thousands per person for an exclusive intimate dinner at Haunted Mansion, it was very popular. More than once, even.

I'm sure that they are thinking: People paid for all these perks to eat in that ride, they'll do it again. But I think they're underestimating the attachment many people feel for the Haunted Mansion. People paid to eat on the HM not just because it was a ride but because it was the HM- they have such strong attachments to that attraction.

I personally doubt that people have that strong of an attachment to TOT.

AVP wrote a great article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/aam031007avp.htm) on merchandise events in October and I think it really addresses how Disneyland, at one time, made events that many felt were worth the higher price-points. It would seem that with the changes to the non-ball, they're starting to find out that these events aren't quite attracting the crowds they once had.

Adrienne

kijay
01-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Great point Adrienne. I would love it if no one at all signed up. But there are those ones who have money to waste who just have to be the first at everything who will pony up the money to do this, further encouraging the money hungry sharks to keep doing this type of stuff. I just can't imagine wasting that kind of money to do this.

Maus
01-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Will AVP be attending?? :D

Brian Noble
01-11-2004, 06:56 AM
I'm not so sure this will be a failure. They only need to find 50 people with the discretionary cash and desire to do this. In all of the LA metropolitan area, I'm guessing that 50 such people exist. After all, can you *really* tell me that what you get for Club 33 membership is worth the price? It's not the concrete benefits, but the exclusivity, that is the perceived value. Saying up front that only 50 tickets will be sold may increase the perceived value enough to motivate 50 people to plunk down the cash.

AVP
01-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Maus
Will AVP be attending?? :D Gosh, my $1600 discretionary fund just went to purchase this (http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/PDF/d100.htm), so I guess I'll have to pass.

(I think I made a better investment, anyway!)

We may do the cheapest package - we're still discussing it. I want to know when the AP previews are. If they are before this event, why would we pay anything to ride again?

AVP

adriennek
01-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Brian Noble
After all, can you *really* tell me that what you get for Club 33 membership is worth the price? It's not the concrete benefits, but the exclusivity, that is the perceived value. Saying up front that only 50 tickets will be sold may increase the perceived value enough to motivate 50 people to plunk down the cash.

Yes and no. I think comparing a place like Club 33 to TOT is apples and oranges. I personally think that the quality of the C33 experience is overrated, but then, I've been there. Before I'd been, I didn't think that. I just don't think that the dinner food was worth the $ and I'd rather go spend that money on a better dinner at Napa Rose or the Cellar in Fullerton.

But C33 has a history and a legend feel to it. Eavesdropping light fixtures, talking vultures, etc etc.

Yes, it has the exclusivity thing, but there's also a story behind it to get people attached to the value of it.

Now, when DLR announced the ball I defended their pricing. (No time to look for the link, sorry. I'm doing a lot of hit-and-run posting these days.) I thought: there are people who will pay it or they wouldn't offer it. Like I said, they had to scale down the ball, so the people that I thought would go for it, must not have.

The other part of defending the ball was that having been on a Creative Advisory Council team, I thought that there would be people interested in the Ball based on discussions we had during our meetings. Looking at the TOT event, I just don't know if the draw is there to eat IN the tower. The ride isn't even original. It's a little different, but it's a ride that already exists! I don't see it as something that has an attachment (like HM) or enough mystery (gee, I wonder what TOT is!) to generate that much interest in a $1600 event, especially if customer satisfaction with special events is falling.

Adrienne

KarenW2
01-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Your assesment of Club 33 is pretty close to mine. We've been there for dinner twice and tho it was interesting to look around at the club, I felt I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, for a better dinner at a better price. My favorite in the area is "The Hobbit" restaurant, in the city of Orange. Maybe the club was more "magical" closer to when it opened.

I'm surprised they didn't change our "ball" to something more like what they're doing at WDW on 2-4! In fact, after reading that description, I'd much rather go to that event, than what they offered us here originally, or what they've changed ours to currently.

ToT is our all-time favorite ride at WDW and we look forward to our own version closer to home, despite the changes, but we're not willing to plunk down that much money to eat there. Our current plan is to get the "Stardust Package", if the AP previews aren't held before then. I would really be surprised if they were tho, especially if they want to sell tickets to this event, even at the cheapest level.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes after registration opens on 2-9!!

Maus
01-11-2004, 09:56 PM
I love Club 33 and have dined there several times throughout the years. I think the price is reasonable in that it includes admission into the park. If you subtract $47 from the cost it’s actually quite a value when you take into account the ambiance, exclusivity and all around fine dining experience. Now, if I had to pay $1600 for the privilege I would have to pass! (Obviously I’m not a member ;) ) So, since TOT is my favorite WDW attraction, I’ll be at the AP preview, the CM preview and I’m looking forward to plunking down $125 for the Stardust package. Yes, it’s pricey for the opportunity to purchase merchandise—and I probably won’t even buy anything—but I’m looking forward to the experience. Just as I look forward to visits to Club 33.