PDA

View Full Version : New parade and fireworks viewing policy in effect at Disneyland Resort

AVP
03-02-2017, 09:49 AM
https://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/261390-2/MSEP11-011917-AVP.jpg

The Disneyland Resort has implemented a new guest control policy for that is designed to keep the sidewalks of Main Street clear during more of the day.

Effective immediately, visitors can no longer reserve space on Main Street to watch parades or fireworks before cast members install the ropes which designate the boundaries of the viewing areas. This change follows a similar policy change made for the Fantasmic show, before Disneyland implemented Fastpass for that show. (And before the show's hiatus due to the Star Wars Land construction).

The new policy targets visitors who claim a space on the sidewalks of Main Street hours before the parade begins, sometimes using blankets or tarps to reserve space for large parties who do not wait with them. Disney now asks that visitors wait until the viewing areas are open to take a seat along the parade route, and not to save spots for other people.

A Disneyland spokesperson tells MousePlanet that this policy change is designed to allow park visitors to enjoy Main Street during the daytime, and reduce crowding on the street before parades. Visitors can still sit on the curb to enjoy a snack or take a short break, but if it becomes clear that they are waiting for a parade, they will be asked to come back with the viewing areas open. Depending on the day and location along the parade route, viewing areas open anywhere from 35 to 90 minutes before the first parade of the evening.

Since Disneyland does not remove the ropes between parades when there are two performances in an evening, guests can claim a spot for the second parade as soon as the first parade has cleared the route. Even after the viewing areas open, visitors are asked not to use blankets, towels or bags to mark their space, nor save space for other people who are not present

We are not certain how the park will manage the viewing areas once Mickey's Soundsational Parade returns on March 25th. The entertainment schedule shows that parade will run at 4:30 p.m., with the first Main Street Electrical Parade stepping off at 8:30 p.m. We suspect Disney will remove the viewing area set up after the Soundsational Parade ends (around 5:15 p.m.), and then re-set the areas around 7 for the Electrical Parade.

The good news for most guests is that they may enjoy a much shorter wait for the nighttime parade and fireworks, but the downside is a potential crush on Main Street when the viewing areas open.

cstephens
03-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Visitors can still sit on the curb to enjoy a snack or take a short break, but if it becomes clear that they are waiting for a parade, they will be asked to come back with the viewing areas open.

I feel sorry for the cast members who have to make this assessment, and the potential abuse they're going to get when they have to approach people. I know that in the past, I've definitely sat on the curb just to enjoy the atmosphere.

Niwel
03-02-2017, 10:43 AM
I feel sorry for the cast members who have to make this assessment, and the potential abuse they're going to get when they have to approach people. I know that in the past, I've definitely sat on the curb just to enjoy the atmosphere.

And especially on Main Street - I've seen people outside Gibson Girl and the Candy Palace sitting on the curb just eating.

currence
03-02-2017, 11:43 AM

And especially on Main Street - I've seen people outside Gibson Girl and the Candy Palace sitting on the curb just eating.

I'm guessing the people who are just sitting to enjoy the view don't have a giant blanket spread out! I know at least one group was selling "prime" viewing for Fantasmic before the Fastpasses there were implemented. It wouldn't surprise me if that group had moved on to Parades/Fireworks. Even if they hadn't, it was definitely an advantage of being an AP that you could spent all day waiting or prime viewing because you could always come back a different day to ride the rides. I think this policy, if implemented correctly, should help.

olegc
03-02-2017, 11:58 AM
I like it (and an AP holder). One comical thought was roving groups of people with blankets walking g in a big circle around Main St. A la musical chairs until the ropes come up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lweigel
03-02-2017, 05:08 PM
I think this is a great idea. I understand that having one person sit and save a spot an hour before the parade is reasonable, however I feel that over the years it has gotten out of control if not bordering on the absurd. A person laying claim to a large section with multiple blankets hours, upon hours before the actual event. Enjoy the park during the day and when parade time comes enjoy the parade.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

cstephens
03-03-2017, 05:25 AM
So the new policy only applies to Main Street? That means people can still stake out space ahead of time everywhere else on the parade route.

binki
03-04-2017, 08:23 AM
This is a great idea. People camp out 4+ hours before the parade.

ZestyHarper
03-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Can you watch the parade from the train platform?

Malcon10t
03-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Can you watch the parade from the train platform?Yes and No. There is seating there for VIP Tour guests. There are areas that are available on either side of center. But to be honest, if you are not in the front row of the area, it isn't a good view.

sjhanksaz
03-07-2017, 06:07 AM
I like the changes they have made. Hope it improves things.