PDA

View Full Version : Costco selling a 4 day DLR ticket for $79

Darkbeer
01-09-2004, 12:17 AM
I don't have the details yet, but I just got notice of this new deal... will check it out....

scanmom
01-09-2004, 04:24 AM
That is a great deal! Let us know the details ASAP!! Please!:p

FoodLover
01-09-2004, 11:14 PM
That's pretty amazing.

I'm going to try to get over to Costco tomorrow and get some details!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Darkbeer
01-09-2004, 11:31 PM
OK, here are the details...

This is the basic Play 4 days ticket that was offered last summer...

For $79 (all ages 3 and older), you get 4 single day admissions to a park... this is NOT a ParkHopper, you get to go to EITHER Disneyland OR DCA on each of the 4 days... (And all 4 days are to be used by the same person)

The ticket expires March 30th, 2004, and all 4 visits need to be used by that date...

You MUST be a SoCal or Baja resident, how this works is you get a voucher from Costco that you turn in at the Main Entry Ticket Windows, you must show your ID (zip code) to get your tickets (One SoCal can get up to 5 tickets).

Also available at the SoCal Costco's are....

Legoland tickets, 2 tickets for $41.95 (expires 12/31/04), basically 2 tickets for the price of 1...

San Diego Zoo, $24.99 for adults, $14.99 for kids

San Diego Wild Animal Park, $19.99 for Adults, $14.99 for kids

FoodLover
01-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info, that saves me a trip. :D

I'm going to add this to my site right now.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

spectromen
01-12-2004, 07:40 AM
If they were to get rid of the SoCal pass, I think I'd use this...it sounds like a really great alternative.

sediment
01-12-2004, 09:36 AM
If you plan to go for only four days (and no more) in the next 79 days, AND you do not plan to go to DLR on a SoCal-non-blocked-out day the rest of the year, then this definitely is the deal.
Otherwise, why bother with this instead of the SoCal AP? You do get Saturdays with this deal.
Might be just a way to get people hooked.

spectromen
01-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Oh I just meant if the SoCal pass got canned, this would be a saving grace of sorts.

sediment
01-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I know what you meant. I was just comparing the two.
If DLR got rid of SoCal AP (which I'm slightly against -- getting rid of the SoCal AP, that is -- as it tends to fill the park during the off-seasons), then this would be a meaningful alternative idea.
I'd increase the expiration and include the SoCal AP block-out days, though. Basically, I'd make it a 4-day SoCal Parkhopper Pass. Yeah, I'd let them park-hop. The offseason rate would be half the regular season, which seems about right. (It was that way in the olden days.)
It's possible that DLR is checking for responses on this, to see if the SoCal AP can be discontinued.

Phydeaou
01-12-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't mean to sound like a complete tool, or :geek: but I ran some numbers and this definately looks like a losing deal for the consumer, in the long run. Look at it this way:

$79 for the Costco pass, divided by the number of times you can go max (4) = $19.75 per trip

If you buy the SoCal AP at $105/4 = 26.25 per trip.

Just on those numbers alone, only $6.50 more per visit, it would be better to get a SCAP. One thing I don't know is if the Costco Pass has any blockout dates, but that would be the only advantage. But let's look a bit deeper.

Say you decide to compare the total price of the Costco Pass (CP) with the SoCal AP (SCAP), and you are a family of 5 (all members over 3 yrs old). This also assumes that the family is traveling in 1 car.

5 x $79=$395 + $32 for parking = $427

5 x $105=$525 + $40 for 1 parking pass = $565

So the difference in the passes is $138. If you had a family of 5 and had enough expendible cash to support the incidental costs of visiting 4 times in a 3 month period (food, possible lodging, etc.), wouldn't it make more sense to save the extra month or so and save another $138 and buy the SCAP? That's less than $28 more per person to get an all year pass. It makes sense to me.

On another :geek: -ly note, if you purchase less than the 5 passes, the difference per person isn't as good, but the extra amount is less [these costs all include parking for 1 car (4x) or 1 pass only]:

5 - $138 - $27.6 dollars per person
4 - $112 - $28 $/person
3 - $86 - $28.67 $/person
2 - $60 - $30 $/person
1 - $34 - $34 $/person (duh)

The SCAP allows you parkhop as well, so that's another in the positive column for the SCAP.

The only reason I could see (as I've stated before) that the CP is better is if there are no blockouts, you could go on MLK weekend or Presidents' Day weekend...along with everyone else and their mom.

sediment
01-12-2004, 05:07 PM
I thought I did this analysis -- without the numbers, of course.

SoCal is superior, due mostly to parkhopping since a whole day at DCA almost qualifies as torture. Unless you are an infrequent guest who suddenly has the urge to become one only for the next 79 days, this really isn't much of a deal.

Now, if I could buy one of these that's good for four family members for one day, I might buy one. One.

2hot
01-13-2004, 10:42 AM
how exactally do these passes work? i am coming to DL in Feb. i have relatives in Scal , can they buy these passes and give them to me to use? Or are they just for Scal residents?

Thanks

wai

Phydeaou
01-13-2004, 10:44 AM
It's true, sediment, you did. but being very :geek:-like, I was curious about how much the difference really was. I agree with you about the relative worth of the Costco pass.

FoodLover
01-13-2004, 12:19 PM
OTOH, for a family that is planning a one-time 3 or 4 day visit to Disneyland and probably won't be coming back for another year or two, the 4-Day pass is a better deal than a So Cal AP.

For many families who live a bit further away (like San Diego or Northern Baja), a trip to Disneyland tends to be a once-a-year or once-every-two-years proposition. The two or more hour drive on each end of the visit tends to put a damper on frequent visits for those who are not as (ahem) "enthusiastic" as we are about Disneyland.

It all depends on your needs and circumstances.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Phydeaou
01-13-2004, 12:22 PM
You make a good point. The $138 you save could be spent on some extras during the trip. Thanks for the input, FoodLover.

sediment
01-13-2004, 12:39 PM
I believe that's how I outlined it, possibly in reverse:
Costco deal is superior to someone:
1. Planning to spend 4 days at DLR over the next 78 days;
2. Not planning to return for at least a year; and
3. Does not mind the No-Parkhopping option.
Perhaps a deal at the hotel might sweeten the offer?

kodakdog
06-03-2004, 11:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone has bought and used the Disneyland passes that Costco is selling?
Thanks,
Paul

Opus1guy
06-03-2004, 01:01 PM
The ones mentioned in this thread that:
The ticket expires March 30th, 2004

...or something new that you know about that they are now offering?

AVP
06-03-2004, 01:28 PM
There's a new Costco pass now on sale. It's good through June 30.

AVP

The old man
06-03-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm a little new to this but I don't see how the SOCAL pass is good versus the Costco pak. The SOCAL has massive block out dates. If I wanted to go this Sat., I couldn't. In fact I couldn't go until, I guess, the end of Aug. and then again not until Sept. 11. How does this compare to the no-block out dates of the costco date? Especially for people who are an 1 1/2 hours away and wouldn't be going there on a weekday.
David