PDA

View Full Version : New Tomorrowland idea

ModHatter
01-08-2004, 10:24 PM
I was on another site discussing new attractions for TL, and I was on a Tron kick I guess. I was imagining Star Tours overlayed as a Tron tank, or an Inner Space-inspired ride where the Omnimover is themed as a Solar Sailer, and the riders are digitzed and thrown into the world of Tron.

But then I took it another direction.

If anyone has the Tron DVD, think of the deleted scene where Tron spends the night with his little ladyfriend. The SFX in that scene are dynamic and simply amazing.

Now, imagine a giant black tarp or dome over TL, creating a permanent night-time. With TL more or less enclosed, Buzz could use the entire People Mover track for its layout someday. Then, fill the area with soft neon, blacklighting, etc. Fiber optics. Mica in the sidewalks, attraction walls covered in polished steel paneling. Sort of like a Pleasure Island 2055 feel. Then, all the attractions can be themed as "what amusement park rides will be in 2055."

Sound doable?

Rick
01-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Intresting concept. Good idea.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
I have always been a fan of the "permanent night bubble" idea.

Back when they opened Batman at SF Magic Mountain along with the Gotham City area I felt that they should have domed it to make permanent night there. It's never daytime in Gotham, is it? ;)

Good idea, ModHatter. :)

SzczerbiakManiac
01-09-2004, 10:09 AM
You have no idea how much I love this idea! (But Not Afraid might...)

jerhow
01-09-2004, 10:37 AM
The "Tron" concept visually would be an interesting idea for a Tomorrowland, however, I have to disagree with enclosing the land. To me, what makes Disneyland visually impressive is the fact that it feels very different when you walk through the park during the day vs. at night. Try riding the Jungle Cruise during the day - when you can see everything. And at night when the jungle is shrouded in darkness. Very different feel.

The same concept works with Tomorrowland. To me, Tomorrowland works the best at night - when the lighting and color schemes take over - but you get this feeling because of the contrast with how it looks during the day.

And finally, personally I like Disneyland as a "park" - for most people who are indoors all day working their 9-5 jobs, this is literally a breath of fresh air. Enclosing the land would give it more of a Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas feel. Not quite the same.

ModHatter
01-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Jerhow

I agree with your point about Jungle Cruise. But, to use this example, this is clearly an area that looks lush and beautiful day and night. The west side of the park is so well themed, down to the Mardi Gras soundtrack you hear coming into NOS from the train.

Since 98, TL doesn't have that rich day-to-night magic. For one thing, the entrance is mucked up. If anyone has been to MK, most entrances to their TL immediately tell you you're entering a magical tomorrow.

We don't have that quality here. If they redid our Tomorrowland in such a way that it looked as good during the day as it does at night, I'd be fine with that. But right now, our Tomorrowland, especially in daylight, looks like it's perpetually waiting for something. I remember the Space Mountain queue being pretty barren. And there's a large plaza between Star Traders and Innoventions that just seems like space-age ghost town. And let's not forget Starcade, which I seem to recall as full of space age stuff like... brown tile?

Countries, Towns, and Squares excepted, there are four lands in Disneyland. Three may or may not need attractions, but have amazing theming. TL needs some TLC.