PDA

View Full Version : The new Space Mountain?

Pages : [1] 2

ajinterpreters
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Hello all!!! First time posting here. Here is simple question, what exactly is the new Space Mountain going to be like? I know they painted the outside, but I am wondering about the ride itself. I heard that they are getting some new track, but is the whole ride going to be different? It seems that the amount of time that the ride has been down they could totally replace the entire ride! Thanks for taking the time to check out my question! Jeffrey

Freerider127
01-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Its totally the same just there putting new track in there because they found stress fractures.

Phydeaou
01-08-2004, 03:09 PM
And while you experts are explaining new SM stuff...
Are we going to see the FedEx commercial on the in-line queue still?

Cadaverous Pallor
01-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, just replacing the entire ride with identical track.

By the time they closed it, they were welding every night just to keep the thing operational. They had added cars with speakers which put stress on the ride in all the wrong places.

That's the crux of it. :) Welcome to the boards!

Dlandmom
01-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Aren't they also upgrading the sound system? Or was that done already...or was that idea scrapped?

I'm so out of the loop.... :crying:

Andrew
01-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Dlandmom

Did someone say loop?!

LIMANDL4EVA
01-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Did someone say loop?!

yea Andrew didn't you hear?
hahahahahahahaha:D :D

zapppop
01-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Dlandmom
Aren't they also upgrading the sound system? Or was that done already...or was that idea scrapped?

New ride vehicles w/ an updated (working) sound system have been created. They weren't cycled in this year since the attraction was going to close for a major refurb.

TDA and WDI are considering having 2 soundtracks for the ride; one for the daytime and one for nighttime. This idea has not been approved yet so take this with a grain of salt.

As others have stated, the actual track itself will be the same, only this time it will be able to support the sound system. The addition of the sound system back in 1990's threw off the coaster's center of balance, which is why there were so many stress fractures occuring.

Originally posted by Phydeaou
And while you experts are explaining new SM stuff...
Are we going to see the FedEx commercial on the in-line queue still?

FedEx no longer sponsors the attraction and an updated queue & loading area are in the works, so I doubt those commercials will be back. The special effects in the ride will be udated as well.

http://members.aol.com/lunerds/spacemtn.jpg

Tref
01-08-2004, 04:00 PM
I heard they were going to add seatbelts. Can anybody back this up?

Cadaverous Pallor
01-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Tref
I heard they were going to add seatbelts. Can anybody back this up? Add seatbelts to the lapbars? :confused:

Rallymonkey23
01-08-2004, 04:27 PM
God I wish they would surprise everyone and have the track different. But as eveyone else has stated, everything will be the same minus the poo paint job.

Tref
01-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Add seatbelts to the lapbars? :confused:

Well, I heard they had to remove the lapbars due to new goverment ordinances to curb the influx of immorality in our cities.

zapppop
01-08-2004, 04:47 PM
In space, there are no seatbelts.
It would increase the load time.

innerSpaceman
01-08-2004, 04:50 PM
There is no space mountain.

cemeinke
01-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
In space, there are no seatbelts.
It would increase the load time.

Nonsense - Passangers could get loaded in DCA or Downtown Disney
;)

cstephens
01-08-2004, 06:08 PM
The first rule of Space Mountain is not to talk about Space Mountain...

Disneyfreak
01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
It will be basically a new ride. Lets just leave it at that. They said everything will be state of the art. What I hear is that there will actually be holograms that actaully follow your car while your on the track moving! So the ride will be interactive, and be different every time due to more special effects. Im sure we will have some very impresive space effects and colors. With the projection technology they have these days, the coaster could well be the most impressive one on earth. So just hold your horses, there is a reason why it's taking so long.:)

Disneyfreak
01-08-2004, 06:53 PM
I also have pictures of the new rockets. I will post it on superiorpcs.com

CoasterMatt
01-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks for providing me with my second biggest laugh of the day. ;)

Most impressive coaster on the planet? No amount of projection effects would push Space Mountain anywhere near that level. As for the reason it's taking so long for the project, the ride's original track and supports are being dismantled, plus it takes time to design and manufacture replacements (Vekoma gets the honors). To top it off, the new track is being put into a pretty tight spot, being a bit beefier than the original. This is providing some very interesting situations for the reconstruction crews. One thing that may be very interesting, is that the new track has two rails, with a third support beam and cross ties, as opposed to the original truss type track. They could build a support structure that would allow for more space inside space, which would pave the way for plenty of cool special effects. But remember, while there have been some press release type things talking about state of the art special effects, the main goal of the project is to build a safe, strong track that can handle the added weight of trains with sound systems.

Disneyfreak
01-08-2004, 07:56 PM
I didn't say the best "coaster," I said most impressive which is not the same thing.

MonorailMan
01-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
Most impressive coaster on the planet? No amount of projection effects would push Space Mountain anywhere near that level.

Yea. But then, that's personal opinion, No?

I could say that Gadget's Go Coaster is the world's best coaster. ;)

CoasterMatt
01-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I could say that Gadget's Go Coaster is the world's best coaster. ;)

I know a few people that would agree with you ;)

There are some neat possibilities for Space Mountain's future, but unfortunately at the moment, I'm gonna say wait and see...

ModHatter
01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Whatever happens, I hope it's updated so that 6'9" people stop fearing decapitation, dagnabbit.

Disneyfreak
01-08-2004, 10:09 PM
HAHHAHAHAHAH! Really you thought you were going to be beheaded. Im sure there was plenty of clearence between your head and the beams. Probably a good 5 feet.

ModHatter
01-08-2004, 10:13 PM
You know, I met someone shorter than me who said he hit... something on the ride.

I quit riding DL SM, not only because the dang beams seemed a bit too close for comfort, but also because my knees quit fitting under the lap bar. The MK ride cars are infinitely better. Though really, they're less lap bars, more inner thigh bars, the way I have to sit.