PDA

View Full Version : ToT VS Mummy

malin
01-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Ok this year will see the opening of both Tower of Terror,for Disney's California Adventure,and Revenge of the Mummy for Universal Studios Hollywood.Now I have experienced the WDW version of TOT,and while its good,I felt it was too over hyped,and I don't have huge hopes for DCA's version.And my hopes are even lower now that I have heard about USH Mummy Coaster.And I was just wondering which one you guys are most looking foward to riding this Spring/Summer?

To read more on Revenge of the Mummy please read this article.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004000883,00.html

disneydude
01-08-2004, 04:51 PM
I am really excited about both, but I am slightly more excited about ToT. The reason being that I have been watching the construction for a long time and I am getting more and more pumped about it. Another reason is that I don't have anything to base Mummy on, other than the press release. I am sure it will be great, though.

innerSpaceman
01-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Mummy sounds like it will be a thousand times better that Tower.

Unfortunately, I may visit Universal once a decade, but am at the DLR more than 50 times a year. Ugh.

DisneyDustin22
01-09-2004, 12:03 PM
heres what the difference will be...and i think many of you can agree with me on this one...

as far as thrills go...MUMMY will probably win that category. hearing about the effects and such in that ride seem incredible, of course we shall see when it opens. but i have a feeling Universal made a good choice with this one. so TOT loses that category.

as far as overall experience? well, judging from history, when you walk onto any ride at DL or WDW for that matter, you are engulfed into a complete surrounding of theme and actions. Everything from the doorknobs on doors to the cobwebs that will be on the lights, the theming behind a Disney attraction is always top priority. not to mention, usually about 80% of the time, you have a CM who is into the theme and provides a unique ride experience by either acting out improvised acts based on the ride, or something totaly unique, (MAYNARD!) im sure with universals Mummy, some kid who doesnt want to be working on his friday afternoon will be like, "keep your hands and arms inside, bla bla bla, yeah have a good day, i forgot were supposed to mention that." so as far as overall experience, TOT should give Mummy a run for its money. But we shall see in the end.

MonorailMan
01-09-2004, 04:24 PM
I really don't know.

However, I hated the Mummy movies, but love old spooky buildings, and elevators.

I have a clear winner. ;)

mriverej6
01-09-2004, 07:09 PM
if you need to compare the new mummy attraction to something it would go along the lines of the spiderman attraction at universal studios island of adventure. except for the 3-d glasses.

but as for thrills i can easily say the mummy attraction will win, based on my view that we have a good assumption on what the premise of TOT will be, basically a drop ride (like freefall at six flags magic mountain), as for the mummy no one will really know till its ridden. it may end up being similar to indy , except in maybe a bigger space

as for ride longevitiy, TOT may win this, the reason i believe this is space. universal studios hollywood has no space ground to work with, unlike DCA(which in my eyes weren't used to its fullest potential). for what i remember about universal studios is that its basically been a one in, one out situation for attractions.

this is is no specific order.

lose star trak adventure to lose nickelodeon theater----gain shrek 4-d (good move)

lose miami vice - gain waterworld (bad move, im biased)

lose e.t. adventure - gain the mummy (im guessing this is a good move, but did e.t. have to be sacrificed?)

lose conan - gain spiderman rocks (this one did have a lot of unused time before spiderman rocks opened up)

lose fivel's playland - gain terminator 2:3d (great move)

lose kitt car - gain bedrock game area (i still miss that car)

lose beetlejuice graveyard revue - gain blues brothers stage show

lose wild wild wild west stunt show - gain ?

i dont think its right to compare the 2 against each other, only because there 2 different attractions. we might as well add journey to atlantis from sea world into this debate.

all in all, 2004 is looking to be a new attraction pilgrimage to DCA, sea world, and universal studios hollywood

Darkbeer
01-09-2004, 07:13 PM
I have been watching the big 4 being built, and all of them have me excited, but my number 1 is Revenge of the Mummy, everything I have hear and read about this attraction makes me very excited, some folks have said this will be better than Spiderman, which is the current best ride.

Number 2 is Journey to Atlantis, they finally have all the track installed, and are now working on the buildings, and the effects.... This is near home, and will be a great coaster, and a dark ride water flume ride.....

Number 3 is Silver Bullet (Yes, I am a coaster fan), looks like Knott's has a winner in the design of this new coaster.

And at the bottom of the list (number 4) is ToT, I am afraid it won't be as good as the Orlando version.... A fun attraction, but a quick one, it will be the shortest length (in time) of all the attractions listed.

But it should be a good year for SoCal Theme Park fans, Legoland is adding some stuff, WaveHouse has started to take down buildings at Belmont Park, Knott's has two new flat rides coming this spring, and USH is redoing the Maze area to Van Helsing.

:fez:

kijay
01-10-2004, 08:16 PM
No matter what, it is a win-win situation. New rides all around. But, as usual, we are getting a hand me down, already been done ride at Disney. Mummy is totally new, and as was pointed out, no one knows for sure what exactly it is, or how it will ride. (BTW does anyone know when Mummy is opening?). I am planning a trip for this year and will purposely make it after the Tower opens because I am excited to ride it. But I already have a pretty good idea of what I will experience from reading about the WDW Tower. Mummy is exciting because we just don't know. But its nice to get these new rides. :D

Darkbeer
01-10-2004, 08:23 PM
No official date has been announced by USH regarding Mummy, the rumors have AP previews in late June, with an Official Grand Opening in early July, but only time will tell.....

kijay
01-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks Darkbeer. Guess Mummy will have to wait for next year. No way I'm going in the summer, and don't want to wait until the end of May (but I'm gonna have to). But I am looking forward to ToT. I'm just hoping its not a let down.:(