PDA

View Full Version : Food recommendations?

Aimz
01-08-2004, 01:05 PM
I have a couple of questions about food recommendations in the Disneyland park. My family will be making a trip there in a couple of weeks and we have lunch reservations at the Blue Bayou. I've eaten here many times previously, and usually have the prime rib, but I'd like to try something different (and less expensive!). I've read the menu posted on Mouseplanet. Can anyone recommend any of the entree salads they serve? I've heard about a salad they serve that is supposed to have caramelized walnuts on it, and most people have raved about it. Is this served on the lunch menu?

I've been to DL every year since I was a young child, but I know there's a lot I haven't tried there yet- I tend to get stuck in a rut. For instance, I've never tried the Bengal BBQ (though I've heard a lot of good about it). I'm thinking of putting it on the list to try this time around for late afternoon snacks. Any recommendations for any particular item from this place? Is it relatively inexpensive? I'm checking out the food reviews on this site, but would love to hear from others on the board, as well.

Thanks!

adriennek
01-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Aimz
For instance, I've never tried the Bengal BBQ (though I've heard a lot of good about it). I'm thinking of putting it on the list to try this time around for late afternoon snacks. Any recommendations for any particular item from this place? Is it relatively inexpensive?

When I saw the subject of your thread, my first thought was: BACON WRAPPED ASPARAGUS SPEARS! hmmmmmmm, GOO-OOD. It's more of a snack place than a dining place, IMO, but you can certainly eat enough for a meal there. It's inexpensive from the stand point that it's a walk-up counter service place. The asparagus isn't the best bargain in the park price-wise but it's WONDERFUL. We usually get them with some bread sticks and diet cokes for an afternoon snack.

Adrienne

jswtsang
01-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Monte Cristo! As good as everyone described!

jt

spectromen
01-08-2004, 02:40 PM
The Chicken Fusili Pasta dish at Buzz's in Tomorrowland or at Pizza Oom Mow Wow in DCA is a darn good dish for theme park food!

luvsdca
01-08-2004, 11:54 PM
For lunch or a light dinner, my husband and I like to split a meal at Rancho del Zocalo (the chicken & ribs combo is very tasty and filling). He likes that he is able to refill softdrinks since he can drink two or three large cups of diet coke at one meal. I'm not big on softdrinks and I like that you can fill a cup with ice and then get water at the sink out in the seating area. I'm pretty sure the water is filtered because it doesn't taste 'chlorine-y' like tap water here in Anaheim usually does.

danyoung
01-09-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
When I saw the subject of your thread, my first thought was: BACON WRAPPED ASPARAGUS SPEARS! hmmmmmmm, GOO-OOD.

In all of your mouth-watering excitement, you neglected to mention WHERE this tasty treat can be found. I'm not a big fan of asparagus, but I love the bacon, so I'd be willing to try it out.

Aimz
01-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations, so far! My husband LOVES asparagus, so that's a good one to know. Dan, I'm sure that Adrienne was saying that this could be found at the Bengal BBQ. All the other recommendations sound good, too. I've never tried the Rancho Del Zocalo, but I've been interested- thanks for that tip!

adriennek
01-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Aimz
Thanks for all the recommendations, so far! My husband LOVES asparagus, so that's a good one to know. Dan, I'm sure that Adrienne was saying that this could be found at the Bengal BBQ.

You're welcome!

Yes, I only quoted/answered Aimz's comments and questions about Bengal BBQ - that's where they are.

I have to chime in on behalf of Monte Cristos, too. If you're looking at a salad, I'd consider negociating-- maybe split a monte cristo and a salad. One MC is usually too much for me to eat alone, but splitting it is much more satisfying than one or two bites of someone else's ;)

Adrienne

danyoung
01-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
Yes, I only quoted/answered Aimz's comments and questions about Bengal BBQ - that's where they are.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for my confusion!

ppmuse
01-09-2004, 09:31 AM
As JT said, Monte Cristo is the way to go. My parents loved it, and my brother and I shared one, they are pretty big. We both also got a bowl of clam chowder and that was pretty good.

My wife and I are pretty big on the Mexican Restaurant next to Thunder Mountain. Great nachos, or you could get bar-b-que. That's the rut we're are personally stuck in.

Dlandmom
01-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Monte Cristo is the way to go! However, it is quite filling, especially if you're not a big fan of fried stuff.

I really like Rancho del Zocalo. I haven't eaten there in a while, but the few times I have, the portions have been huge, and the food not bad (I've only eaten the bbq...haven't tried the Mexican dishes).

Bengal BBQ is neat, too, but I haven't had good luck with the skewered chicken...every time I've tried it, it's been dry and overcooked.

Aimz
01-09-2004, 12:55 PM
It's good to know that the Blue Bayou allows you to share meals. I have been to restaurants that specifically tell you that you cannot split the entrees. My daughter eats like a bird and there's no way she'll be able to eat more than one-half of a Monte Cristo. Obviously taking a doggie bag for the uneaten half of the sandwich won't work at Disneyland. Splitting a meal with someone else sounds like the way to go at the Bayou. And, it'll save money- I like it!

Has the set-up at the Rancho Del Zocalo improved since it's opening? I remember reading about it being confusing with their scramble service- lines for the different types of foods not being clearly marked, etc.

dsnylndmom
01-09-2004, 01:40 PM
My SIL & I like to split the campfire fries at Rancho and have a cup of soup with it. I also really really like Plaza Inn's Cobb Salad(mmmm)and my SIL and 9 year old love the fried chicken at Plaza Inn also.

Oh and we are also big fans of Ariel's Grotto at DCA, my kids love the kids meals my SIL and little brother love the fish and chips and I love the onion soup and cobb(detect a pattern here?)

And the kids love Mickey Mouse pancakes at Riverbelle!

CarlieB
01-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Adding my voice to the Monte Cristo fan thread...I had it for the first time in Nov and it was *good* (too good, in fact. I now have cravings:~D ) however, the idea of splitting it is an excellent one. It is just too much to have it all in one helping (imho). I don't like pasta salad, so I had the house green salad instead (the one with the yummy pecans in it) & I can totally recommend this combo. My bf had the andouille stuffed mushrooms as a starter, and said they were great (I think he had the pork loin as a main and it was excellent, but again, it's a big meal)

We are big fans of Rancho del Zocalo. I like the atmosphere and the food is quite yummy. Also, if you are in DTD the Uva Bar is a great place to have a light meal - we always go here at least once.

kijay
01-10-2004, 08:37 PM
I am very glad to hear such wonderful things about Blue Bayou's Monte Cristo (just discovered this delight not to long ago) can't wait till May to have one. Mouth is already watering:p

MonorailMan
01-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by spectromen
Pizza Oom Mow Wow

Humm...

last time I heard that someone called it:
"Pizza? Eww! Ow! Ow!" :D :~D

Darkbeer
01-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Just say NO! to that Pizza served at DCA... if at DCA, Wine Country Trattorria is my first choice (Downstairs)... the Cove Bar appetizers are also quite good..

If I want cheap, a Wetzel's Pretzel Hot Dog and Lemonade/Soda is less than $5 with the AP discount... if I want a full meal, ESPNZone has a great selection!

I am not the biggest fan of the food served at Disneyland (except Club 33, but that is a much different story ;) )... Popcorn is always a good choice.... I think my favorite is the Bread Bowls at NOS, or the Chili Bowl inside the Golden Horseshoe.

dsnylndmom
01-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Also, if you are in DTD the Uva Bar is a great place to have a light meal - we always go here at least once.

Uva is a must stop on our lists every trip too! We love their chips n salsa and calamari(oh and the Purple Haze and Aqua Chill) ;)

nursemelis374
01-12-2004, 10:28 AM
I have to agree with all of the raves about the Monte Cristo! It is delicious and I will continue to eat it even with my New Year's diet! I believe it is only available at lunch though. I also like to go to Wetzel's. I also like hot dogs from anywhere! If you are feeling like walking, we always go to one of the places on Harbor, like Mimi's or Denny's. It is worth it to save the money and get a delicious meal.

Christiii
01-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Lately we have been LOVING the Rainforest at downtown Disney!! The food is wonderful!! there is always a HUGE line to get in...but you can eat in the bar...they have tables and everything...most people dont know that secret..my mom and I have gotten a table every time!! The portions are big, so its good to split thngs...we always just order ice water too...drinks get really pricey!! Im not cheap...but I just hhate spending a ton of $$ on foodI really wanted a bloody Mary there..but I just couldnt bring myself to pay 8 bucks..no matter how good it was...we always stay at the Hojo..LOVE it!! so a stop at Mimi's for the french onion soup is always a must..Mimi's food it really amazing too!! The campfire fries are really good at the Meixcan place..and really filling for the price...We just gt back last Tuesday..and we are ging again on Friday, since I got Regis and Kelly tix...
I may have to try to Monte Cristo...tho the powdered suger and cheese doenst sound like too great a combo...hmmmmm

CarlieB
01-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I may have to try to Monte Cristo...tho the powdered suger and cheese doenst sound like too great a combo...

Christiii, I must admit I felt that way before I tried the MC too...the idea of the sugar just seemed weird. But it all comes together to taste divine..hard to explain, but so yummy:D

Re: The Rainforest Cafe: we ate there twice on our last visit. I really enjoyed breakfast there. The place was really quiet, and our server said we could wander around and check out the rest of the restaurant (we were downstairs). We did, and it was really cool. I had their version of French Toast, and it was huge but yummy. The coffee was good too - enormous mugs which just kept getting refilled (I'm a coffee fiend, so this was good:~D )
Dinner wasn't as good, imho. We had drinks at the bar first, which was fun (nice drinks, too). So, I would definitely go back for breakfast, but not so sure about dinner.

dsnylndmom
01-12-2004, 01:15 PM
We've had hit and miss at Rainforest. We always had GREAT drinks there and a couple of great meals followed by a couple of mediocre meals. I think I'll try breakfast though, as a fellow coffee fiend that sounds wonderful! LOL! My kids love Rainforest whether hit or miss though.

Aimz
01-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the additional food ideas- too bad I'm only going to be there for two days! So much food, so little time.

About the Rainforest Cafe ( my kids love it there, so I know I'll be there at some point)- we've only eaten dinner there, what's the breakfast menu like? Good variety? Maybe I'll try that for breakfast this time and have dinner elsewhere.