PDA

View Full Version : Soarin Over California Disappointment!!

awinner
10-01-2001, 01:49 PM
So. when I was at DCA on 10/29...I walked on over to Soarin. Now keep in mind, as I am sure you are all aware of that is just 1 of only a few attractions there that are awesome. Now I have seen it about 30 times or so in the past 2 1/2 months....While I was watching it this time in the theater to the right I notices that the entire left side, towards the bottom of the film on the screen is all scratched, it looks like it is raining on one have of the projection. When the ride ended I told a CM, and they were fully aware of this...her comment was that it is too expensive to replace the film & that it would be a while before they changed it once again. I guess they have replaced the reels before. Come on...to have a premiere ride have this big of a boo boo on the screen is no excuse. They should have either replaced the reel or shown it out of the left theater only until they fixed the right.

stan4d_steph
10-01-2001, 03:46 PM
I noticed this as well when there on Sunday (Sep. 30). I didn't say anything, but this goes beyond a few specks of dust. Pretty bad since it was in a couple of different scenes. Still a cool ride, but not the type of problem you want on one of the few highlights of DCA.

Napsto
10-01-2001, 10:07 PM
i haven't watched it in a while, i hope it isn't as ad as it sounds.

merlinjones
10-01-2001, 10:13 PM
They were too cheap for a wetgate and dust control housing I'll bet.

9oldmen
10-01-2001, 10:36 PM
As well as being too cheap to have digital projection, which in the long run, would have probably saved money.

JeffG
10-02-2001, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
As well as being too cheap to have digital projection, which in the long run, would have probably saved money.

The current digital projection technology is not yet capable of producing an image with the resolution of IMAX film. Even matching the resolution quality of 70mm would require so much storage currently that it would likely be impractical even for the short films in the various theme park attractions.

Right now, digital projection is fairly competitive with the quality of 35mm. The DLP projection systems that are showing up in consumer theaters don't quite reach the resolution of 35mm film, but the extra sharpness and lack of scratches, splices, or other flaws generally makes up for that.

In another 5 years or so, it might be practical to use digital projection for an attraction like "Soarin'". Right now, film is still the only viable choice.

-Jeff

Nigel2
10-02-2001, 11:23 AM
Since you have some knowledge about film and projectors, could circlevision have Digital, or is the film size incorrect?

JeffG
10-02-2001, 11:56 AM
The projectors in Circlevision are 35mm, so it is feasible that they could use digital projection. The cost of digital projection systems is extremely high right now, though, so it would definitely be a very expensive prospect to use nine of them in one attraction. The size of the projectors might also be a bit of an issue.

-Jeff

Nigel2
10-02-2001, 12:08 PM
Thats the part I was thinking about also, since (4?) many of the projectors actually could bulge into the RR track. Also, it would be interesting if they were projected from the rear, and at ground level (if you look at the origial desigin it was like this) and you would walk up to a platform and it would be like looking out at eye level.