PDA

View Full Version : Eisner Mentions Disneyland Only Twice in Speech

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Klutch
01-07-2004, 12:40 PM
In Michael Eisner's January 6th speach to Smith Barney, he mentioned Disneyland only twice and sure didn't say much:

- "Meanwhile, Bob was at Disneyland, where it rained."

- "In 2005, we will conduct a global celebration of Disneyland's 50th anniversary, which will feature new attractions across our parks and should drive attendance worldwide. "

That was all in a very long speech about the Walt Disney Company.

Here's the link at CNN.com, which makes pretty interesting reading:

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/cb_headline.cgi?&story_file=bw.010604/240065895&directory=/cnnmoney&header_file=cnnmoney_header.shtml&footer_file=cnnmoney_footer2.shtml

You can really get an idea where the priorities are these days with the company. It appears Disneyland is not among these priorities.

ToursbabeC3po
01-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Oh man you said the "E" word I think I need some prozac now!

malin
01-07-2004, 02:04 PM
But got a couple of plugs for DCA in there,with special mention of Tower of Terror coming in the Spring,and increase in attendance

Why do I get the funny feeling that the main purpose of the 50th isn't so much to celebrate Disneylands 50th,but to help get Hong Kong Disneyland of to a good start with a successful campaign.But than again it does make sense from a business point of view.

Klutch
01-07-2004, 04:10 PM
I was somewhat surprized Eisner didn't mention Disneyland more. He sure tooted the horns of ever other successful enterprise within the company. Perhaps if he had said, "Meanwhile, Disneyland California continues to pack 'em in", it would highlight how poorly DCA is doing comparitivly.

I also found it disconcerting how often he bragged of how cheaply the company was doing things ("small financial box"). We shouldn't expect any significant investment in the West Coast park. Buzz Lightyear will likely be it for a long while.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-07-2004, 04:52 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

God, how I hate that man.

sediment
01-07-2004, 04:59 PM
As the recent park figures show, Disneyland is not a profit growth venture. Wall Streeters want to know how earnings will increase.

Why didn't someone say or ask, upon hearing about DCA park attendance increase:
1. "Well, after a similar drop in 2002 from 2001, the increase is only 6% from 2001 (and that's not a not-full open year, combined with 9/11 tourism drop-off)."
2. "And how much more revenue did DCA pull in?"

I guess no questions were allowed.

What new attractions are going in at Disneyland in 2005? It does say a celebration across all parks, which should include Disneyland.
Whole 50th thing sounds more like, "We're going to Disneyland for your birthday, but we're buying toys only for your siblings there."

Disneyfreak
01-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Well at least he said "Disneyland's 50th anniversary." He could have easily said the golden anniversary. From the way things were going, they weren't really going to advertise Disneyland over the other parks. I thought it would just be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the theme parks in Disney. After all, WDW gets four new attractions if im not mistaken on our anniversary.:rolleyes:

Loric
01-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
After all, WDW gets four new attractions if im not mistaken on our anniversary.:rolleyes:

And we're quite thankful for them! *takes a quick polaroid of happy FL folks and fedex's it to Eisner*

Happy happy Floridians! Don't change a thing!

(Like you wouldn't do the same if your park got all the attention.)

Disneyfreak
01-07-2004, 10:16 PM
I take offense to that remark.:eek:
WDW should get squat for our anniversary. I dont agree with this world wide celebration sjhajgkldkjgdl if you know what I mean. It should be our celebration not yours.

CoasterMatt
01-07-2004, 10:20 PM
What did Disneyland get for WDW's last major anniversary?

or for that matter, for the 100th anniversary of Walt's Birthday?

Disneyfreak
01-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Yeah!!!!! My point exactly. It is totally rediculous that we get squat when they get all the rides. After all, without Disneyland, your precious WDW wouldn't be standing.:confused:

Loric
01-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
What did Disneyland get for WDW's last major anniversary?

or for that matter, for the 100th anniversary of Walt's Birthday?

You're right, WDW should have another major anniversary or celebration - need a good excuse to open another ride :)

I don't really think naysaying what WDW gets is a good idea though... Jealousy is so petty amoung siblings.. and besides, we're going to give you back your desk - your precious, precious desk.. eventually.

But, if we're upset.. we might get forgetful.. might not use a coaster.. and your precious desk.. can't have that happening now can we? :~D

MWHAHAHA *cough* ha *cough* *cough*!!

No, but seriously, he who holds the desk holds the power, and look what you did with it? DCA? Not our fault you chose the path of evil...

Neon Cactus
01-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Keep in mind who his audience is. They just want dollar figures. You have to wonder if he's actually ever watched one of his direct to video sequels, the way he gushed over how wonderful they are! Just hope Universal keeps upping the ante, Disney will have to respond.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Loric, you are not funny. This issue is very serious to those of us that feel that WALT'S ORIGINAL PARK is being used and abused in the name of Florida.

There should be no celebration anywhere but Disneyland. Not in Florida, not in an overseas park, not even in DCA or DTD.

Disneyland is IT, THE park, THE ORIGINAL, the one with all the "firsts", the first damn theme park to ever exist. Why should it's bratty younger cousin get to unwrap gifts too?

Disneyland doesn't get to keep any of the money it makes.....it received a cheap, crappy, lazy, knock-off neighbor....nothing worth mentioning was done there for its creator's 100th birthday....and now even it's own birth is being doled out like so much booty.

God, how I hate that man.

Disneyphile
01-08-2004, 01:51 PM
I say they should paint WDW's castle entirely gold, just for the occasion. :~D :p

And that's all the celebration WDW gets in "honor" of DL's 50th.

Not Afraid
01-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Loric

I don't really think naysaying what WDW gets is a good idea though... Jealousy is so petty amoung siblings.. and besides, we're going to give you back your desk - your precious, precious desk.. eventually.

But, if we're upset.. we might get forgetful.. might not use a coaster.. and your precious desk.. can't have that happening now can we? :~D

MWHAHAHA *cough* ha *cough* *cough*!!

No, but seriously, he who holds the desk holds the power, and look what you did with it? DCA? Not our fault you chose the path of evil...

Well, that's quite a derail. I believe we were talking about Disneyland. NOT having an US vs. THEM discussion about DL and WDW. If we're going to do that, shouldn't we at least invite the other parks to participate. Then we could have a real fun game that, sadly, no one would watch due to lack of interest.:eek:

I would hope that Eisner would treat DL with more respect, instead, he treats it as an insignificant speck in his giant dust pile. It shoud be the jewel found in the dust.

For me, the frustration comes from the fact that I have no control over the situation. I wish I could make Eisner see how valuable DL is.:crying:

Disneyphile
01-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
For me, the frustration comes from the fact that I have no control over the situation.
Here, here! Let's hope Roy's plans work, and soon. :(

ftroop6
01-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Cadaverous Pallor you are right on the mark. !!!!!! Disneyland is the original, and it is a shame that it is not being kept up as it should. 2005 is the birthday of just one park and that is where it should be celebrated. I am leaving for my first trip to WDW at the end of this month. I am so tired of all the "oh you will like WDW so much better that DL" talk that I get. I even got that from the concierge at the Polynesian. I am sure that WDW will be a fun vacation but my heart belongs to Disneyland!!!!!!

Disneyphile
01-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ftroop6
I am so tired of all the "oh you will like WDW so much better that DL" talk that I get.
I hate that too. I just tell 'em that Magic Kingdom doesn't even shine compared to DL, with the exception of their Tomorrowland. And honestly, I'd rather keep our Tomorrowland than have their Tiki Room "Under New Management". I still need therapy after seeing that show. :eek:

cemeinke
01-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't mind celebrations at the other parks - just as long as the best party takes place at and for Disneyland.

I don't need a new attraction either - just a celebration/party that will truely honor the park (i.e. I don't mean a "merchandise" event). Show me a party like the 25th or 35th - only bigger. Pass out parrty favors, cake, and ice cream - keep the park open for a once in a lifetime entertainment review/fireworks/concerts/whatever. Make it exciting. Make it a celebration and I'll be happy.

Loric
01-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Loric, you are not funny. This issue is very serious to those of us that feel that WALT'S ORIGINAL PARK is being used and abused in the name of Florida.

In short: It's a very funny issue to those of us who realize the problems with DLand are created by the very people who expect so much from it. Over on my side of the world, we actually pay for park admission - and thus we reap the rewards.

innerSpaceman
01-08-2004, 04:54 PM
What in the world are you talking about, Loric?

Loric
01-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
What in the world are you talking about, Loric?

A good chunk of what makes DLand a crowded mess are the APs and "Two for one" tickets. Compared to WDW, where most guests are using full price park-hopper tickets or using AP's for trips only once or twice a year.

MrVor
01-08-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm sure you have just as many people using deals and two for ones as we do at DL (I honestly don't know if AP's even exist at WDW, so I can't comment on that). The actual numbers are probably pretty similar, but the percentage of "penny-savers" to full priced guests is where the difference comes up. If we have 10,000 Penny-savers in the park, that's 20-25% of our attendence, where as you have lord knows how many parks to tuck them away into, and they maybe make up 3-4% of your attendence figures. Granted, multiple parks require more overhead, so there IS that aspect to consider.

I think the true problem is that WDW is more of a "world destination" as opposed to DL which is more of a "Well, we did WDW last year, lets see where it all began this time" kinda place. I mean, why would someone coming from europe or japan pay to fly out to DL when they could spend roughly the same amount of money to fly to WDW and have a virtual Disney cityscape before them rather than the just a city block of DL. Disney has one upped itself by really doing well with WDW, and the result is DL becoming more of a novelty than a realistic world wide attraction anymore. I dispise Eisner, but from a business standpoint, it really doesn't make much sense to funnel money into something that can only hope to simply maintain it's current status, and never really be anything more than a "first".

Disneyfreak
01-08-2004, 07:51 PM
What the hell are you talking about? The annual pass holders have given so much money to Disney it is pathetic. Just do the math and you will see that the annual pass holders generate more revenue then people who pay full price to get in. The pass costs over 200 dollars; if you have 2 tickets to get into the park that would equal about 100 dollars. So where do you get the idea paying full price makes them more money. I do agree though it makes things crowded, but they make a giant boat load of money because of it. Our park should be kept up the most if anything. You have the Eisner attitude which I really dislike. I’m still not done with the other profits they get from the annual pass holders. You get more people visiting per year, which makes the parks restaurant attendance go up a huge amount. I go about 30 times a year, and every time I go I eat at one of the Disney restaurants. So they are making about 800 dollars off me instead of 150 per year. So I want you to tell me why the annual pass holders are a bad thing? Plus you buy souvenirs, and you also get more people to buy the passes because you bought one. I got 3 people to join me and get annual passes because I bought one. So Disney is making a bundle off of me and every one else who has one. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Disneyland Resort makes 3/4th of what WDW makes. For the size advantage I would say Disneyland does quite well.