PDA

View Full Version : TOT: afraid and excited all at once!

Pages : [1] 2

CaliforniaCrazy
01-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Is anyone else like me, anxiously waiting for the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror to open? Being a person who has never been to Florida to experience the original Tower, I am both excited to ride it, but kind of scared at the same time because I've never been on a drop ride before. My love of the Twilight Zone will definitely get me into the building and the elevator itself, but it's a fear of the drop that I can't get out of my mind. Does anyone have any advice for me who has actually ridden the one in Florida?

ppmuse
01-07-2004, 06:43 AM
I was there in Florida on opening day. The place was packed. When we finally got into the ride, the inside decor was awesome. Then you enter the elevator shaft, and when your in Florida, you KNOW your in the elevator shaft. The environment goes from ice cold to hot and sticky. Then you go up a little, door opens, and you plummet, and it scared the you know what out of me.

Over the past three years, I've been back to WDW twice, and the ride is no longer scary. Why? Instead of a plummet, kind of like that of Splash Mountain, you go into this bungee jump kind of ride. Goes down, goes up, goes down goes up. Think the Maliboomer with the blast off. It's also less scary than the Maliboomer because you are in the complete dark. I was even able to wear my glasses, and it didn't do anything to them.

It's definitely a fun ride, one that I would recommend. The original plummet definitely took your breath away, but so did Splash Mountain on your original ride. But I'm guessing you've been on Splash Mountain so many times that the main plummet is as scary as the second drop in Pirates of the Carribbean.

Hope this answers your question.

efoxx
01-07-2004, 06:50 AM
ToT should be intimidating. that is what it is designed to do.
it does "drop", excelerate, faster then gravity literally pulling you out of your seat. then as CCarzy said you bounce. but it is an unpredictable bounce so it still has some surprise element even if you have been on it 20 times or more. and unlike the maliboomer it has great theming and a cool story. well worth the wait.

IndianaJenn
01-07-2004, 07:08 AM
I went on the ride several times last November. I thought it was very well done. There are many drop and rise sequences, so you don't know which ride you are getting! My biggest concern is that the ride at Disney MGM was so beautifully put together and landscaped - I hope our version is not a cheap-o.

CaliforniaCrazy
01-07-2004, 09:25 AM
I've been on Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain many times, and I've gotten used to their surprise elements, so I hope that once I go on TOT that it will be one of my favorite rides. I have never been on the Maliboomer however, and I think I know why. I don't like rides that go up high in the air, but I like rides that if they do go up high, they are in an enclosed amount of space such as TOT. I've never even been on most of the rides at Knott's Berry Farm. I just don't like the feeling that I can possibly fall without a certain amount of space around me such as a building. I've never even been on Supreme Scream at knott's (that's how pathetic I am). But I love Space Mountain, because it is in an enclosed building. I know, it sounds like I have real issues with thrill rides, but only certain ones. ;)

mamabot
01-07-2004, 09:59 AM
I was never a fan of drop rides. Always hated being dragged on Freefall at Magic Mountain. Now that I am medically relegated to non-thrill rides, I am going to miss out on TOT. :(

I wonder if they will let me go through the line to see the theming and then take the chicken exit out?

ppmuse
01-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey CaliforniaCrazy, if it's anything like WDW, you will have nothing to worry about. My mom, who also isn't a big thrill rider, went through the line with us and got off right before the ride started. They have this line, which I haven't seen at Disneyland, that lets parents with young children have one parent watch the kids while they ride the ride, then they switch. With my mom, we just dropped her off at this switch zone, and met her at the exit. That way you can see in the hotel, watch the beginning video, and go into the next area, that is, if it's like WDW.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-07-2004, 10:41 AM
I adore thrill rides and a new one is definitely a point of excitement. :)

Drop rides are great because (at least for me) they are scary every single time. Even tiny old Freefall at MM still gets my best scream. :D I love the Maliboomer too.

Not Afraid
01-07-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm excited about it. It's a thrill ride that won't send me into traction - and I need more of those!

mystycalchyk
01-07-2004, 10:44 AM
I loved the one in WDW. I was nervous in the queue but didnt want to announce that. It really was freaky and at the time I just wanted it to be over. But afterwards I loved it. I will do the one in Disneyland.

I WILL NOT ride the Maliboomer. I rode the Supreme Scream thingy at Knotts and I literally shook for 10 minutes afterwards. NOT and enjoyable experience. I'm afraid the Maliboomer would do the same thing to me.

As was said earlier, if I cant see that Im up that high it's OK.
Weird though, I wont ride the slidey cars on the Sun Wheel (did it once..... freaked me out) I will ride the red ones (even though I can see, I feel 'enclosed')

jswtsang
01-07-2004, 11:04 AM
I have to say that in FL, I think the theming might be scarier than the ride...it's a pretty scary theme and some of the bellhops do a great job of scaring you. The ride is varied, but I've had the doors open, drop, pull back up drop again and then the up and down so many times you cant tell if you're up or down...luckily you're in the dark so it just feels like your floating out of your seat or smashing into it.

I once saw a guy hyperventillating and they let him leave through the 'chicken' exit...you can just go in and say you've rethought it...no biggie

jt

mad4mky
01-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaCrazy
. Does anyone have any advice for me who has actually ridden the one in Florida?

TOT is my favorite ride at WDW (course, I haven't been in a couple of years...since Space opened)...But I love TOT.

The themeing of the ride is what sets you up for a great time. And the drops...are hilariously/scary fun! My youngest girl went on it once...and wouldn't go back. But the rest of us kept running back around.:D

What makes it more fun...you don't know how many times you are going to drop...!:D

hazlnut
01-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ppmuse

Over the past three years, I've been back to WDW twice, and the ride is no longer scary. Why? Instead of a plummet, kind of like that of Splash Mountain, you go into this bungee jump kind of ride. Goes down, goes up, goes down goes up. Think the Maliboomer with the blast off. It's also less scary than the Maliboomer because you are in the complete dark.

I disagree. The new TOT in WDW (Tower 4, I think they're calling it) is way more scary than the original--the ramdomness makes it a new ride each time--kind of like Indy.

This past xmas our first and fourth drops had plenty of plummet, the middle two drops made random stops at the open upper doors, and being in the pitch dark made it, for me and my son, way more intense than maliboomer. TOT in WDW rules and I bet our's will be better. Three shafts are better than two.

rcman2001
01-07-2004, 02:26 PM
I am so excited to ride this. Even if they ride doesn't have the tower 4 program installed, or if it looks cheap-o, I still want to ride it so bad. Plus, I think the ride wil aways be more popular in florida for a few reasons, even if the drop sequence is the same or similar.
1. The ride doesn't look as scary or dark, and ohh yea, I didn't know buildings burned purple :rolleyes: People probibly wont be drawn to the building as badly.
2. Secondly, the same reason. When you are in mgm, you see it from behind, and walk toward it down sunset bulivard, closer and closer, getting you more pumped up to ride. dca doen't have that.
3. Landscaping. Since when did trees stop growing after 3 years in the ground, and when was the last time you saw an unkept building without overgrown weeds, a bad pavement? Top knotch holywood hotel? 50 years ago. Whats with the blue shutters?

Sorry about my b*tchin, I'm needy, and the fact that I know there are better out there makes me jeleous but I still think its cool and want to ride it really bad :)

hazlnut
01-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by rcman2001
I am so excited to ride this. Even if they ride doesn't have the tower 4 program installed, or if it looks cheap-o, I still want to ride it so bad. Plus, I think the ride wil aways be more popular in florida for a few reasons, even if the drop sequence is the same or similar.

I'm sure the attraction program will be the same or better. I think comments on this board about the building and the grounds are way premature--I'm sure that they will look great, too. And the drops will be a little bit different everytime. No ride will be exactly that same. Just like Indy.

It will be more popular than the one in FL simply because the lines will move faster because we'll have three shafts.

This past xmas, we got to the front just as one shaft broke down--after they made the announcement that the wait would be twice as long, you could hear the groan all the way back outside.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by mystycalchyk
I WILL NOT ride the Maliboomer. I rode the Supreme Scream thingy at Knotts and I literally shook for 10 minutes afterwards. NOT and enjoyable experience. I'm afraid the Maliboomer would do the same thing to me.
My husband has a fear of heights. When we went on Supreme Scream he freaked out, saying he stopped breathing he was so scared, and would not go on it again. But he loves the Maliboomer! The Maliboomer is the opposite of SS - it shoots you up instead of dropping you, so your time being up high is limited. You might want to consider giving it a shot (literally!). :)

disneydreams
01-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaCrazy
Does anyone have any advice for me who has actually ridden the one in Florida?

I LOVE TOT! I only went on it once on my first trip to WDW, but that was like 3 years ago. I couldn't really understand the story then cuz 1, I didn't see the movie back then, and 2, I wore glasses so Mom made me take em off cuz she was afraid that they might fall off so I couldn't see anything, nor the 5 guests that mysteriously disappeared...

When I'm on the actual thing, when it drops, i get this weird yet ticklish feeling in my chest, ever time we go down. Same thing happens in Splash. Oh well. It kinda makes me scared when it comes, but then again, I'm excited and all.

But you'd really enjoy it cuz it's just a vertical drop with lots of ppl screaming. :) :)

Icy Bacon
01-07-2004, 05:27 PM
I'd say the Maliboomer would be an excellent first drop ride. Supreme Scream is the last thing I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't been on one before, although it's tamer than Drop Zone up north at PGA which is a more frightening perfect freefall... Anyways, I love drop rides, and although I didn't feel the slightest bit of fear, apprehension, or nervous excitement stepping onto Supreme Scream for the first time, Tower of Terror is really going to give me the heebies. Can't wait! :D

And California Crazy... if you just don't like the exposed feeling of drop towers, and want to conquer that feeling, try something like an inverted coaster, or lean up against the glass in a tall building, and work with that fear slowly. If you wind up visiting something like the Eiffel Tower it'll come in handy to have beaten that uncomfortable feeling and you'll probably enjoy it more. :)

Maus
01-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Did I hear that the DCA version be all seat belt seats? So I won't have to push folks out of the way to get my favorite seat? (aw come on, you know what I mean :~D)

TheatreTech
01-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I have never ridden the WDW one and that doesn't matter because I am soooo excited for ours to open. Every time I see it, i get all giddy and feel like running franticly toward it with my arms flailing in the air. (hehe...funny visual)
I really hope it will have a single rider line.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by mystycalchyk
Weird though, I wont ride the slidey cars on the Sun Wheel (did it once..... freaked me out) I will ride the red ones (even though I can see, I feel 'enclosed')
Not to um...burst your bubble. But, that's the only thing that I don't like about the Sun Wheel. (the "enclosed" feeling) I know it's very unlikely, but, if, for some reason your "car' were to um...plumit into the "bay", there is no way one would be able to obtain oxygen. (ie. get out of car submerged in water to breathe and stay...alive)
(...Don't stop riding though. I think the odds of that happening are on your side.) ;)

I get excitedon the Sun Wheel too because I can see more of TOT.:rolleyes: :|

mystycalchyk
01-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Quote by Theatre Tech:

if, for some reason your "car' were to um...plumit into the "bay", there is no way one would be able to obtain oxygen. (ie. get out of car submerged in water to breathe and stay...alive)
(...Don't stop riding though. I think the odds of that happening are on your side.) ;)

:eek:

*goes and sits in the corner and slowly starts rocking back and forth holding herself tightly*

Main Street Magic
01-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Maus, just so you know, all of the seats in TOT are now seatbelted!

rcman2001
01-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Is the seatbelt fact a good or bad thing?

sediment
01-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I guess "good thing," because otherwise people will be literally flying all around the ride, banging into each other.
That's simple phyisics. Your arms by themselves will not hold you in your seat at the acceleration (not necessarily the speed) the ToT will hurl you. And even if your arms somehow can hold you in your seat, your arms will not be available to block others' bodies from ramming you.
Seatbelts = good thing.

Maus, do you want the seat that doesn't have seat belts? Just wondering.

mystycalchyk
01-08-2004, 01:09 PM
I simply cannot imagine it NOT having seatbelts. My butt came right out of my seat...the seatbelt was the only thing holding me down! Did the one in WDW used to NOT have seatbelts?? :eek: