PDA

View Full Version : Autopia - are the cars electric?

missm
02-04-2017, 10:01 AM
I was at the Disney Store yesterday and the CM and I started talking about Autopia. She told me that the cars are now electric since they are sponsored by Honda. Is this true? I feel like I have been there since Honda was the sponsor and that they still smelled strongly of gas. Did they switch to electric recently? If so I will be super excited because the gas smell gives me a headache.

stan4d_steph
02-04-2017, 10:40 AM
No, the cars are not electric.

AVP
02-05-2017, 11:34 AM
If so I will be super excited because the gas smell gives me a headache.I'm sure every cast member who has ever had to work that attraction would agree with you 1000%. I wish they would / could switch the cars to a hybrid electric engine, but the expense is probably not something Disney or the sponsor wants to pony up.

missm
02-05-2017, 07:13 PM
I'm sure every cast member who has ever had to work that attraction would agree with you 1000%. I wish they would / could switch the cars to a hybrid electric engine, but the expense is probably not something Disney or the sponsor wants to pony up.

I can't imagine how bad it is for them. We had an issue while we were waiting and a car broke down. We stood waiting for them to fix it for about 10 minutes down on the platform. Just 10 minutes and I had the worst headache.

sjhanksaz
02-14-2017, 05:47 AM
Nope

They still leak oil and backfire. If they do ever go electric I hope they add some of those sounds back in to the ride.

SteveMartin
02-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Nope

They still leak oil and backfire. If they do ever go electric I hope they add some of those sounds back in to the ride.

and the shuddering!

sjhanksaz
02-14-2017, 07:25 PM
and the shuddering!

and the way they bounce back and forth if you decide that steering the car is just way too much work.

experiment626
02-14-2017, 08:03 PM
They really need to update the cars. They were in terrible condition when I was there this past May.

pixar
02-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Would be great if Tesla was the sponsor. :)

SteveMartin
02-15-2017, 07:37 AM
and the way they bounce back and forth if you decide that steering the car is just way too much work.

As young teenagers, we had grand schemes of how to get one of the cars off the track. Of course, we never thought about where we would go once we got one free. :)

Engine74
02-17-2017, 04:20 PM
As young teenagers, we had grand schemes of how to get one of the cars off the track. Of course, we never thought about where we would go once we got one free. :)

Wherever you wanted, you have an autopia car. But they could walk up to you and catch you. Lol

SteveMartin
02-18-2017, 02:15 AM
Wherever you wanted, you have an autopia car. But they could walk up to you and catch you. Lol

Exactly!

Plus I don't think one would fit through the exit turnstile.

sjhanksaz
02-18-2017, 06:29 AM
Exactly!

Plus I don't think one would fit through the exit turnstile.

You would need a ramp and some speed. The speed may be an issue

candles71
02-18-2017, 10:09 AM
They have the center gate open for ecvs, often. ;)

TulaBelle
02-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Would be great if Tesla was the sponsor. :)

This!

sjhanksaz
02-22-2017, 03:53 PM
But to ride you will need to be

wabby1
02-28-2017, 07:52 AM
I love that Autopia is a classic attraction....but....that's about where it ends for me. I think the fumes that it creates are not healthy, nor can I abide being in that area much because of it. I'll always go right by it on my way to Tomorrowland Station, but that's about it.

bumblebeeonarose
02-28-2017, 08:35 AM
I love that Autopia is a classic attraction....but....that's about where it ends for me. I think the fumes that it creates are not healthy, nor can I abide being in that area much because of it. I'll always go right by it on my way to Tomorrowland Station, but that's about it.

I haven't ridden this ride since 2005. Last time I rode I was stuck behind someone who couldn't get the car to drive right. It took forever. I think I might get suckered into riding it this year by my kiddos. They're getting more aware of what's around them, and it's a large area on the map making it hard to pretend it doesn't exist.

Tinker44
03-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Spot on... that is sooooo my husband's job to take the kids on Autopia (though eldest is able to drive herself). I can't stand the fumes and the noise, it literally makes me ill. I stay on the "bridge" to snap a pic or two then I go wait over at Tomorrowland Terrace until they are done.

Engine74
03-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Autopia is one of those rides that once you get your drivers license and you drive everywhere it's not a big deal. I have been on it three times since I got my license, Grad Nite in 88, in 94 when we took my nieces on their first trip and 2011 with a group that had not been on the new version yet. I just drove three hours to get to the park or to go home. Why do I want to wait in line to drive? Lol.

sjhanksaz
03-06-2017, 01:10 PM
I know bumping is off limits but it makes the ride pretty fun when it happens.