PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass help

missm
01-13-2017, 01:45 PM
I was thinking of upgrading us to an Annual Pass on our next trip (October). I see they have a 13 months for the price of 12 right now and have a question. Could I buy the annual passes now and not activate them until October? Or are they activated when you purchase?

Also, it says that with an annual pass you can visit both parks in the same day only on selected days. I can't find any more information regarding that on the Disneyland website. Does anyone know where you can get those dates?

candles71
01-13-2017, 03:50 PM
They have to be activated by a certain date, this month? to qualify for the free month.
Next month, like the 11th.

tea4two
01-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Posters on another board are saying that CMs are telling them over the phone that the vouchers can be activated by November 16th. As usual, Disney is giving out conflicting information. I would call Guest Services on this to see what the latest policy is.

The current block out dates for the different passes can be found here: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/#. Click on the pass level you want to see the 12 month calendar of blocked dates.

candles71
01-14-2017, 07:16 AM
I was going on the info AVP was given, posted in the 13 for price of 12 thread.

missm
01-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys. Does anyone know about the only being able to visit both parks on selected days? I don't want to get passes and then be stuck with one park-one day rules.

missm
01-14-2017, 11:39 AM
Posters on another board are saying that CMs are telling them over the phone that the vouchers can be activated by November 16th. As usual, Disney is giving out conflicting information. I would call Guest Services on this to see what the latest policy is.

The current block out dates for the different passes can be found here: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/#. Click on the pass level you want to see the 12 month calendar of blocked dates.

Just called. They didn't know anything about the passes being one park one day sometimes so maybe Disney is just covering their butt in case they change that rule.

They did confirm what you said. Buy the passes by 2/11 and you can activate them for the 13 months up until 11/16/17. Now I need to make a decision.

tea4two
01-14-2017, 04:36 PM
I was going on the info AVP was given, posted in the 13 for price of 12 thread.

That's what I originally understood, too. It looks like Disney has loosened the policy since then. More than one person on the other board posted that they were told that the activation date on this offer for new passes and renewals is now 11/16/17.

tea4two
01-14-2017, 04:41 PM
Just called. They didn't know anything about the passes being one park one day sometimes so maybe Disney is just covering their butt in case they change that rule...

I think the wording about "selected days" means that Disney can change the block out calendar at any time, e.g. adding blocked days whenever they deem it necessary. Other than the DCA only pass that was available through Costco recently, I don't know of any passes that only let you in to one park or the other on certain days.

candles71
01-15-2017, 03:37 PM
That's what I originally understood, too. It looks like Disney has loosened the policy since then. More than one person on the other board posted that they were told that the activation date on this offer for new passes and renewals is now 11/16/17.
Still has to be purchased before a certain date? Thanks for clarification. G and M are going on the 11th and getting passes.

tea4two
01-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Yes, I think the other posters did say that the original purchase-by date still stands.

bumblebeeonarose
01-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Disney's original announcement said to purchase the tickets before February 11. It very clearly said purchase, never said activate. I think the confusion came when people who had purchased their tickets before the announcement, but had not yet activated them, were upset that they wouldn't get the extra month (it says not valid on previously purchased passes), and Disney said that yes if they activated them before Feburary 11 they would get the 13 months too. Disney has confirmed to those who have contacted via email and phone that the passes must be purchased by February 11 and activated by November 16 will get 13 months. They should really put the activation date on their website to avoid all this confusion. But again the wording is very clear that it is just purchased by February 11.

tea4two
01-21-2017, 01:48 AM
When the offer first came out, I think the article posted here stated that the new passes had to be activated by Feb. 11th, not just purchased by that date. AVP was only quoting what her Disney sources told her at that time. The renewals date extended to November. It looks like enough people called to complain about that and also to complain about the lack of clear wording on Disney's website. Posters on the other board have received emails stating clearly that new passes must be purchased by the Feb. date, but can be activated by the Nov. date. A poster who purchased pass vouchers prior to the offer start date has stated that s/he received the 13 months upon recent activation (not sure if that was a lucky fluke). However, all this info about the purchase by dates and activation dates is still not clearly explained on the website. Sigh...

missm
01-22-2017, 05:22 PM
This decision is killing me!

I am going in October with family but I think that Kiki and I will take a mother/daughter trip sometime in the year after that. If we have the annual passes we definitely will. I want the AP's because of the discount, we spend quite a bit on food and souvenirs so it would save us money. On the other hand everyone else in the group will have early entry and we always use that on our trips. I've got two weeks to get this decision made.

tea4two
01-22-2017, 06:59 PM
This decision is killing me!

I am going in October with family but I think that Kiki and I will take a mother/daughter trip sometime in the year after that. If we have the annual passes we definitely will. I want the AP's because of the discount, we spend quite a bit on food and souvenirs so it would save us money. On the other hand everyone else in the group will have early entry and we always use that on our trips. I've got two weeks to get this decision made.

Aren't you all staying at the Camelot for this coming trip? If so, no one will have early entry every day, only one magic morning with the park hoppers (purchased in advance, of course). Does one MM really make such a difference when compared to a year's worth of annual pass and the potential discount savings? Have you done a spread sheet to crunch the numbers to see what those savings might be? Seeing those numbers (spending vs. saving) in black and white might help make this decision easier. If you decide to get passes and still want to be in DL early on the day when everyone else in your group uses their MM, you could make the earliest reservation for Minnie & Friends for the same day. It won't let you ride with everyone else, but you'd still be right there enjoying the magic with Kiki (and getting great photos, too!).

candles71
01-22-2017, 08:15 PM
We have also had CMs ask a lead and they have let 1 or 2 APs in with a majority having a MM on their hoppers. 2 APs with 7 PHs on one trip. 2 APs and 4 PHs on another. Another time, the CM at the booth gave us MM tickets to go with our friends' when Whistler upgraded his hopper to an AP before we had used them.

missm
01-23-2017, 05:27 PM
I forgot that we don't get early entry all days. We got spoiled the last few trips.

It makes sense to just do the AP's then.

bumblebeeonarose
01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
I forgot that we don't get early entry all days. We got spoiled the last few trips.

It makes sense to just do the AP's then.

And if you were staying onsite, you would still get the Early Entry even with an AP, so the regular tickets still wouldn't benefit you. Must be time to get APs, especially since you saved all that money on your hotel (as you mentioned in your other post). ;)

missm
01-24-2017, 12:32 PM
And if you were staying onsite, you would still get the Early Entry even with an AP, so the regular tickets still wouldn't benefit you. Must be time to get APs, especially since you saved all that money on your hotel (as you mentioned in your other post). ;)

It is time! I am so happy you just mentioned early entry for AP's if staying onsite. I want to stay on site when it is just Kiki and me on our girls trip. It will be sort of a short trip for us so I want to maximize our time.

kaybee2
02-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Just called. They didn't know anything about the passes being one park one day sometimes so maybe Disney is just covering their butt in case they change that rule.

They did confirm what you said. Buy the passes by 2/11 and you can activate them for the 13 months up until 11/16/17. Now I need to make a decision.

My guess on reading the site is that the one park/one day thing has to do with it doesn't GUARANTEE that you will get into the park if the gates are closed for some reason. For example: you have a Signature Passport and go the week between Christmas and New Year's. Disneyland has hit capacity and closed the gates. Just because your pass is good for that day, you still won't get in since the park is at capacity. When we had the good-any-day passes years ago, CMs would warn us on capacity days to stay in the park and told us that some AP holders got angry when they couldn't get in the park, thinking because they had a pass that capacity closings didn't apply to them.

From Annual Pass site: "Passes do not guarantee theme park admission, especially during high attendance periods. Excludes activities/events separately priced. Admission to the theme parks and availability of theme park parking are subject to capacity and other closures. Other restrictions apply."

Malcon10t
02-08-2017, 07:34 AM
My guess on reading the site is that the one park/one day thing has to do with it doesn't GUARANTEE that you will get into the park if the gates are closed for some reason. For example: you have a Signature Passport and go the week between Christmas and New Year's. Disneyland has hit capacity and closed the gates. Just because your pass is good for that day, you still won't get in since the park is at capacity. When we had the good-any-day passes years ago, CMs would warn us on capacity days to stay in the park and told us that some AP holders got angry when they couldn't get in the park, thinking because they had a pass that capacity closings didn't apply to them.Just to be clear, when the park does hit capacity, and turnstiles are closed, it rarely lasts more than 90 mins. You aren't going to be locked out the whole day, but you have to wait an hour or so while enough people exit to allow more to enter.

kaybee2
02-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Just to be clear, when the park does hit capacity, and turnstiles are closed, it rarely lasts more than 90 mins. You aren't going to be locked out the whole day, but you have to wait an hour or so while enough people exit to allow more to enter.

Ohhh...that's a good one to know! Thanks!