PDA

View Full Version : Tours, lines, and rain. How I spent my New Years at "The Happiest Place on Earth"

UncleGDogWord
01-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Well folks I have just returned from my five days at "The Happiest Place on Earth" and I have some stories to share.

To start of with my wife and I rolled into the Park Place Inn around 9:00pm on Tuesday listening to the UCLA Fresno State game (Yea Dogs) and checked into our room after getting the warnings about parking and News Year Celebrations we left to go get our Tickets for the park.

As we approached the Westside Ticket booth (the only ones opened) we mixed with the masses leaving DCA for DL and the shuttles. We got into the park around 9:30pm and made are way to POC and got on with no problem. We then headed for Haunted Mansion Holiday. We had to mill through the Fantasmic folks but other then that we were able to get into the rides with a very minimal wait we hit Star Tours and the train and finished off with Great Moments. We did some shopping and headed back to our room.

The next day was Wednesday was New Years Eve and we just plan to do are Holiday Tour and since are Tour wasn't till the afternoon we hit the Matterhorn first. When we got pass the turnstiles they shutdown the Mountain saying there would be a short 15 minute wait. As we were waiting in line there was a family with two kid talking with CM's in Suits. It turned out the one of the little kid lost his glasses on the ride and they shut down the ride to find them. There was a lot of angry people staring at that family as word past through the line that the ride was stop because some kid and his glasses.:mad: We then hit Star Tours and Small World where they had the exit to the boat storage open and you could see some of the boats and spare props.

We checked in for our tour at City Hall and waited as this lady was yelling at this poor CM about her loosing her Universal Tickets and wanted Disneyland to reissue them to her since Disneyland was a themepark too. The CM explained to her that just because we (Disneyland) was a theme park, that they had no association with Universal and Universal would need to re-issue her passes.

The Holiday Tour began on Main Street and they gave us a general over view of how the Holidays work in DL. By the time we started the tour it was a little crowded and navigating was a chore, but we got to go on the fast pass for the Train and the Haunted Mansion, Canal Boats, and Small World. After listening to the rich history about holidays at Disneyland along with Holiday Tradition we got to sit in special seating and watch the holiday parade (with our free sugar cookie and a free mug of coco). Before the parade we got to watch two High School Bands that were going to march in the Tournament of Roses Parade.

The parade was great! One of the Snowflakes took a header and had to be lifted up by two other snowflakes. It looked like one of her skates had locked up on her. Other then that fun time had by all in the Tour Group.

My wife and I went back to the room for nap. As we were exiting the gate we were advised by Disneyland Secret Service that we should return no later then 7, because there was a really good that they would close the gates due to the crowds (which they ended up doing). We napped, ate at Tony Romas (blah) and then made are way back to the park. We got to the park in time for the Holiday Magic in the Sky and we got snowed on.

Just a quick side note, I would like to say that the need to outlaw those motorize scooters for the Handicap people in the park. Now before everyone gets angry because handicap people have rights to be free too, well you are right handicap people do have those rights, but when I see an obese man or women who can walk but are too lazy to do so, or parents letting there little child drive it around and run into people like it was the Autopia it just makes me sick. I do not know how many times that me or my wife got hit or even had our foot ran over by some idiot on those things. On guy was just going a long on Main Street and because of the parade blocking his path got up and lifted the scooter on to the side walk! I think Disney should limit the amount of these vehicles on days of high capacity.

At around 10pm we got this really great spot next to the castle on the Tomorrowland side. We got to listen to that Route 66 group and see all the magic. It is amazing how fast the 2004 sign shot up over the Matterhorn. The fireworks were spectacular and it was a really a wonderful celebration. You got to love the Beach Balls. We ended up being in the park till around 2, not by choice it was just nuts trying to get to the main gate. I think they ended up opening the backstage area to exit the park.

We started our day on Thursday with "A Walk in Walt's Footsteps" Tour. I wish I could remember our Hostess name because she was excellent. We got all the history of the park along with some tidbits about Walt; like in the early 60's when smoking harms came out he had all the pictures of him smoking airbrushed out, because he did not want kids to see him smoking and think it was ok. We went to the Tiki Room and got to have a private moment with everybody's favorite CM Maynor. We went in to the Tiki Room before everyone else and got not only the history, but we got to peek at the supped up laptop that runs the whole show. Maynor then came in to get to reset the show and our guide asked him to explain his approach on being a CM. He spoke seriously about what he does and went on to finish his duties. He gave a great show and interruptive dance during "Lets All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" after which we went to the gallery and had lunch. We then spent a extra hour after the tour and just talked with are guide. She spoke of how Tomorrowland is going to be worked over to a Retro 50's look of how the people of the 50's though the future might look. She spoke of how Buzz will take over the People Mover tracks and if the budget works out they will finish Earthquake proofing the Sub show building and install the new Sub show (but she said that is a rumor in the wind). She also said that Innoventions will be closing soon for the Park Retrospect to be installed.

She was so wonderful and at the end of the tour we even got a "A Walk in Walt's Footsteps" pin. I highly recommend the tour to anyone! For $40 dollars you get a lunch with desert, a collectors pin, and a great tour. When you break down lunch and the cost of the pin it is a good price.

It was almost impossible to do many rides at Disneyland, so we went to DCA and went most the rides.

Friday was a mess during the day. The crowds were low and we hit both parks, but that drizzle took its toll. The cool thing was seeing the float. It was huge! It wasn't very wide, but man it was tall. We found that any ride outside we could do with no wait, but the shows and indoor rides were a 45 min to a hour wait. We ate a great lunch at ESPN and saw a movie at AMC. We then were very happy and were able to hit everything we wanted to at both parks at least twice before closing.

Saturday we spent two sunny hours going through all of Fantasyland and finished off at Splash Mountain and staying quite dry. They really adjusted those baffles at the bottom of the main drop.

We then left for our lives back here at home and they lived happy ever after.

Both of us had a great time and I love my stay. I hope you all had a wonderful New Year!

hazlnut
01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by UncleGDogWord
Just a quick side note, I would like to say that the need to outlaw those motorize scooters for the Handicap people in the park. Now before everyone gets angry because handicap people have rights to be free too, well you are right handicap people do have those rights, but when I see an obese man or women who can walk but are too lazy to do so, or parents letting there little child drive it around and run into people like it was the Autopia it just makes me sick.

Whoa... I agree with you and admire your courage for stating what most people think.

Great report. We'll be making our last visit for while in Feb, just before the AP's expire, then we'll sit back for a while and see what this Ouimet fellow does with the place. High hopes for '05!!

DisneyFan25863
01-04-2004, 07:05 PM

Friday was a mess during the day. The crowds were low and we hit both parks, but that drizzle took its toll. The cool thing was seeing the float. It was huge! It wasn't very wide, but man it was tall. We found that any ride outside we could do with no wait, but the shows and indoor rides were a 45 min to a hour wait. We ate a great lunch at ESPN and saw a movie at AMC. We then were very happy and were able to hit everything we wanted to at both parks at least twice before closing.

Are you sure you were at Disneyland? It was PACKED on Friday!

mystycalchyk
01-04-2004, 08:43 PM
I was there on Friday too, and it was nowhere near as packed as it had been earlier in the week. what with the rain and all.

Great trip report. We were there from Christmas day until yesterday. was a wonderful but exhausting trip

UncleGDogWord
01-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Are you sure you were at Disneyland? It was PACKED on Friday!

Yup, people with Disneyland rain slickers, big train out front.

I meant any open area rides were not crowded and the crowds were low during the rain.:fez:

spectromen
01-05-2004, 10:36 AM
It's intriguing that the tour guide told you that Buzz was taking over the Peoplemover tracks as opposed to the Circle-Vision building. I'm all for new rides, but I don't approve of them making 1 new ride out of 2 old ones, as was done with Rocket Rods...hmm

UncleGDogWord
01-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by spectromen
It's intriguing that the tour guide told you that Buzz was taking over the Peoplemover tracks as opposed to the Circle-Vision building. I'm all for new rides, but I don't approve of them making 1 new ride out of 2 old ones, as was done with Rocket Rods...hmm

She stated it would be taking over the Rocket Rod ride. The Rocket Rods used the Circle-Vision Cue along with The People Mover track. Of cource it is all speculated, because you ask 4 CM what's going on with this ride you get 4 different answers.

TrekkieDad
01-05-2004, 09:56 PM
I, too, just got back from 5 days at Disneyland.

My wife and I got there just after noon on New Year's Eve, and the first thing we did was pick up our ticketsfor the Fantasmic! Balcony viewing at midnight. Then we went all the way in to the Hungry Bear for a quick bite (picking up a FP for Pooh on the way.) We sat on the upper deck and watched canoes and ducks and even saw one of the feral cats on the deck.

After Pooh (my wife loves all things Pooh) we left the crowds behind and picked up a FP for Soaring over at DCA and checked into our room for a much-needed nap.

We went back into DCA after dark, rode Soaring and then went further in to the wharf for some of the bread bowl soup. About the time we were finishing up the Electrical Parade came by, so we watched it from across the water.

Then it was back into Disneyland. Since we were advised to be "in the area" before our Fantasmic! seating, we took the train around for a full loop and a quarter ending at NOS. We hung out in Adventureland until the 10:30 F! was over and then went up to the Gallery to claim our seats. There was countdown entertainment on the water, and as midnight approached we noticed a number of CMs standing behind us to ring in the new year. It was easy to see the fireworks and even the 2004 on the top of the Matterhorn was visible.

Once we rang in the new year, the CMs went back to their posts and the F! show began. Our front-row balcony seats gave us an excellent view, and the show seemed to run flawlessly.

After the show, we were let out the back door of the Gallery and down the courtyard stairs. Then we meandered over to the hub, lingered for a while and headed back to our room at about 1am.

Day 2 (New Year's Day) we slept in and met an old friend of my wife at about 10:30 in Disneyland. First, we rode Indy. She hadn't seen Pooh, so we headed there next and then had a liesurely lunch at Blue Bayou. (Meanwhile, I had picked up FPs for Haunted Mansion and Pirates.) Those we rode at the appointed times.

Then it was back over to DCA to ride Soaring, eat at Taste Pilots, and see It's Tough to be a Bug. We exited before the parade was over and worked our way into the crowd to watch the fireworks from the north end of Main Street. (The snow was working.) Our friend took her leave and my wife and I headed to Star Tours--another of her favorites. After that we turned in for the night.

Day 3 (Rain and rides) we got up early and put on our rain gear and entered the park at opening and headed straight for Indy, HM, Fantasyland dark rides, Matterhorn, Small World, and Roger Rabbit. Halfway through RR, the ride stopped and two CMs came through and evacuated us. The stoppage was due to a delay in loading a lady who had to be lifted from her wheelchair to the ride vehicle. Once they got the ride going again, the CMs decided not to board anyone else until she and her partner completed the ride and was safely back in her chair. (If they had to stop the ride again to get her off, no one would need to be evacuated this time.)

Meanwhile, they offered an immediate second trip to those of us who had been evacuated. Most declined, but the we and the family in our "partner" car accepted. (They were a dad an a boy and a girl. The girl had an oxygen tube attached to a tank concealed in a backpack the dad was wearing--very ingenious.)

Then it was over to DCA to see the Muppets, eat a couple of dogs and see the 12:00 Aladdin Show. The rain was worse after we got out, and I suggested riding the GRR--how could we get any wetter?--but my wife declined. We did pick up FPs for Soarin' later, though, before going back for our afternoon nap.

Dinner was at the Wine Country Trattoria (after Soarin', of course), and then we went into Disneyland to see the fireworks from the second floor of Innoventions. Despite the CM at the entrance even announcing that it was a good viewing spot, we were virtually alone for the unobstructed view of the show. Afterwards, we wandered around for a while before heading in for the night.

(It's getting late, I'll continue this story tomorrow night.)

TD

Cadaverous Pallor
01-06-2004, 09:28 AM
She spoke of how Tomorrowland is going to be worked over to a Retro 50's look of how the people of the 50's though the future might look. This is the first I've heard of this! In time for the 50th? They only have a year left, I don't know how they'll do it in time.

TrekkieDad
01-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Okay, here's the rest of the story:

Day 4 (Saturday) started with breakfast at Knott's. I designated this as a shopping day for my wife, as all the previous days she hadn't actually bought much of anything. After finding a much wanted collectible at Knott's, we went back into Disneyland and Downtown Disney so she could buy some of the items she had scouted out.

Lunch was a couple of skewers at the Bengal Barbeque, and aside from repeating a couple of rides, I prevailed and got her to ride with me on the Jungle Cruise. We got the latest version of the spiel from Amanda ("Tastes like chicken--freaky!"). Then we did our afternoon break, as usual. We had plans (and reservations) to meet an old friend of mine at Catal.

About 4:00 I went back alone into DCA, just to walk about and came upon the TOT Rose Parade float. We had never seen any Rose Parade float in person, so I called my wife and told her to come see it before the sun went down. Then we met my friend at Catal and had a liesurely dinner followed by a "tour" of Downtown Disney. (I can't believe a guy from Long Beach had not been to Disneyland since before the addition of DD!) We ended up watching the fireworks from the Esplanade, and after much more walking and talking, we finally bade him goodbye and called it a night.

Day 5 going home. Another early start to take in some favorite rides and eat MM pancakes at the River Belle before driving home. Mission accomplished (including one last flight on Soarin' and another look at the float) around 10:30. We visited most of our old favorites and mixed in a good measure of new experiences--especially eateries. We decided we had a good fix of Disney that would last us until Space Mountain reopens. We just don't see ourselves returning before 2005. Hopefully, many of the current issues will be resolved by then.

TD