PDA

View Full Version : Castle?

DisneyBob
01-04-2004, 09:51 AM
I was walking along Main Street yesterday and saw something on the castle that I have never noticed before... the small gold towers/spires -- in fact, I am not sure if this is new or if it is something that was there all along but I never noticed. I was thinking it might be a part of the 50th preparation? Does anybody know what I am talking about?? :)

rcman2001
01-04-2004, 10:25 AM
I think those were allways there. If you're talking about the one golden tower in the middlish right side, thats been there. Look at this picture of the castle http://www.socalthrills.net/site/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=25&pos=2 . Enlarge it by clicking on it.

tod
01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by DisneyBob
I was walking along Main Street yesterday and saw something on the castle that I have never noticed before... the small gold towers/spires -- in fact, I am not sure if this is new or if it is something that was there all along but I never noticed. I was thinking it might be a part of the 50th preparation? Does anybody know what I am talking about?? :)

The gold points on the Castle have been there for some time. Although it sounds extravagant, gold is really cost-efficient because it doesn't tarnish. Much of the gold-looking decoration in the park is actually real gold leaf (gold pounded thinner than paper), including the spires of Cinderella's Castle on the Storybook Land attraction and the gold trim on "it's a small world."

--T

scaeagles
01-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Wasn't only one done that way on purpose? By Walt himself? If I remember correctly it was done to show that Disneyland will never truly be finished.

tod
01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by scaeagles
Wasn't only one done that way on purpose? By Walt himself? If I remember correctly it was done to show that Disneyland will never truly be finished.

It's my understanding that one of the spires is NOT gold, for that very reason.

--T
===============
Bush lied and our soldiers died.
Support the troops! Get them home safe!!

MickeyLumbo
01-04-2004, 03:57 PM
tod, you are correct on all accounts.

;)

SteveK
01-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by scaeagles

Supposedly, that is one of those urban legends that's not actually true. Just like the gold disc/cap just inside the castle is supposed to be the dead center of disneyland. I believe the Mice Age had an article debunking those rumors (along with others) quite awhile ago.
-Steve

iwannabeanimagineer
01-05-2004, 07:24 AM
One thing that was added to the facade of the castle (I believe during the 1983 Fantasyland re-work) was the squirrel rainspouts. They're charming and all, but they destroy the castle's forced perspective and scale illusions. You have to say to yourself, "If that rainspout is the size of a real squirrel, those turrets must be about 12" high." Not good, in my opinion.

Not Afraid
01-05-2004, 07:43 AM
I believe DisneyBob is talking about the shorter, very decorative gold spiral that is on the right side of the castle (from the hub). It has been there since the beginnig, at least it is visible in the vintage pictures I have.

The unfinished spiral is a different one, and was indeed designed by Walt to be unfinished as a reminder that Disneyland will never be finished. That is NOT an urban myth.

If I didn't have to get going, I'd reference my sources, but for now, you'll just have to trust my memory.