PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours

motoxmagicdca
01-04-2004, 12:24 AM
I just got home from a trip to the magic kingdom.. wasnt as crowded as i thought got front row in fantasmic and in front of the castle in believe... one glitch though was we got stuck on indy and had to walk off...

but the whole reason of this post is.. Star tours me and my friend went on this ride and it was all swell and we went into cabin 2 and we noticed through the whole ride.. the movie was very jumpy.. it skipped once or twice and i really wasnt fond of that.. i love star tours and all and i dont want them 2 change it.. but maybe a system upgrade or something would be good for it

Freerider127
01-04-2004, 08:57 AM
They really need to work on it bad but I dont think thats going to happen anytime soon.

EO's Glove
01-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I've noticed the ridw is very jerky and doesn't react like it did in the 80's.

I think it's just worn out...... I also don't want a new EP1 film since the new movies are crap.

Remaster the origional film, and do a complete overhaul and upgrade on the flight system. The que film could also use a overhaul.

-EO

ModHatter
01-05-2004, 12:18 AM
I've been done with this ride for years.

I'll say what I've said before dozens of times. Get the films we were promised in the queue, like Hoth. But first, move the ride to the Hollywood Backlot, ala Disney MGM.

Or just dump it completely.

Moxin
01-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Star Tours might be better placed over in DCA now, and bring Mission: Space in where ST currently resides. I think that'd help both parks somewhat. ST could go in where that limo ride is right now.

Rick
01-05-2004, 08:49 AM
I just don't like the idea of Star Tours at DCA. It has nothing to do with California.

And Mission Space is enourmous ( or so I've heard) It won't fit where Star Tours is.

But it really needs a new film.

ModHatter
01-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Well, let's see... Star Wars is a movie, and would therefore fit in with the Hollywood Back Lot theme. It makes more sense than sticking a 20th Century-Fox film in DisneyMGM.

Besides, as I like to point out, why is a ride about a movie that takes place "a long time ago" in Tomorrowland? THAT never made sense.

I doubt they'd ever actually move the ride. I think the closest they've ever come to that is a few AAs, and "moving" the Matterhorn from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland, where it belongs. But if there was ever a time to move a ride, it's now, with Star Tours. It's still a decently popular ride from what I read here. Move it to DCA where it fits the theme, and have something to occupy all those guests going to DCA for ToT.

Meanwhile... I made sure the first thing I did in WDW in November was get a Fastpass for Mission:Space. I expected to ride that one many times during my week... Rode it once, and that was quite enough.

WDW ToT had several generations to get where it is now. Maybe M:S will eventually be all it's hyped to be. But in November anyway, it was a big snoozefest, and we'd be better off if our park does something entirely different.

Moxin
01-05-2004, 09:23 AM
If Star Tours went in where the Limo ride is in the Hollywood section of DCA, then it absolutely fits in perfectly!

ModHatter
01-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Moxin
If Star Tours went in where the Limo ride is in the Hollywood section of DCA, then it absolutely fits in perfectly!

Thematically, it works perfectly. I wonder how much space they would actually need for the physical layout though, and if SSL could hold it. Considering what Star Tours took over, I would think they could swing it.

Meanwhile, I'm a Tomorrowland nut, so I'm curious what could go into that space when/if Star Tours left. If they leave the ride cars, I'd like to see a hybrid of Inner Space and Body Wars. I'd love to see the ATIS shrinking effect come back, with guests going up a speed ramp into the shrinker tunnel. Of course, they'd need each car to have a different film, or something to that effect, and they'd need a sharper projection system.

If the ride cars go, there are all sorts of fun possibilities for that area.

Moxin
01-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I swear, a monkey could run that place better than Eisner...

lazyboy97O
01-05-2004, 12:41 PM
I think STAR TOURS should go with several difefrent randomly rotating films. Make one for each of the locations mentione dta the exit of the attraction. I see no problem with it in Tomorrowland because we are never told when STAR WARS is being told. So while it may be a long time ago, it may be a long time ago being told really far into the future. So it can fit. Aslo I really doubt Disneyland ahs the room for Mission: SPACE. I am sure a smaller evrison could be created. But form the looks of it Mission: SPACE is not a short attarction. So the smaller size would cause for a cut in capacity and may just create overly long lines in Tomorrowland.

Moxin
01-05-2004, 01:01 PM
There wouldn't be such long lines if there were other attractions to ciphon off some of the crowd. The primary problem is the extreme lack of rides in tomorrowland. If there's only 1 or 2 attractions, then those lines are going to overwhelmingly long. Put in 5 or 6 attractions, and those lines are going to be, on average, much shorter.

Unfortunately, Eisner doesn't seem to care much about DL at all.

jerhow
01-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Star Tours should be upgraded using the imax technology used with Soarin' - granted, you'll need a bigger show building, but it could be done.

The time frame should be somewhere between Episodes 3 and 4.

If Mission: Space were ever to come to LA, it could and should go in the existing Innoventions building. Seems to be plenty of room there.

UncleGDogWord
01-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Well we all can dream.

The truth is the closest thing that Disney may do is during the rehab maybe remaster the film, swap out the hydrolics, and paint the hand rails. It would cost some cash to move the ride and TL is not very rich with Buzz coming to town.

Moxin
01-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Buzz coming to town? As in "Buzz Lightyear" the ride? The same ride from WDW?

Mediocre ride, IMHO. But then, so is all of TL right now...at least the rides that are still open.

ModHatter
01-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Rumor has it, Buzz will be more dimensional than the WDW version. I've seen that it will be more like the TDL version, but who knows. My deepest fear is that it will be just another piece of Pooh.

I actually like the concept of Buzz. Again, not sure if I'd really put it in Tomorrowland, but at least it's on the border of Fantasyland.

I still think I might like to see Buzz use the old RR cue to get guests on the ride. The ride car would actually enter the Circlevision building, now converted to the Buzz ride. The ride car comes off the PM tracks and does down through the main Buzz building. You would exit the building, and go outside on the old PM track (I believe this is the opposite direction the PM/RR used to go). You could maybe have Hidden Zurgs to shoot outside, or just let people do 360s and get awesome pictures of TL.

I forget what used to be in the America Sings building when the PeopleMover was still around, but you could have more targets and more photo ops. And of course the old Speed Tunnel, as in WDW, but used to better effect. Maybe some comets, or maybe other targets placed in the tunnel. (Was Speed Tunnel in America Sings???)

Anyway, if it were going to happen, it would already be happening as we speak, but I can't help thinking SOMEthing has to get moving on the PM tracks.

UncleGDogWord
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by ModHatter
I forget what used to be in the America Sings building when the PeopleMover was still around, but you could have more targets and more photo ops. And of course the old Speed Tunnel, as in WDW, but used to better effect. Maybe some comets, or maybe other targets placed in the tunnel. (Was Speed Tunnel in America Sings???)

First it was the Speed Tunnel and the transformed into the World of Tron.

UncleGDogWord
01-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by ModHatter

(Was Speed Tunnel in America Sings???)

Yes, it went arround the second story of the building.