PDA

View Full Version : Mission: Space at Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

rcman2001
01-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Do you think a clone of Mission: Space will ever touch down in tommorowland? I think they should build it there, and if Mike Eisner wasn't in charge, It probibly would.

MonorailMan
01-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Consider this dismaying observation....

If Disneyland has all of WDW's attractions, there's no point in visiting WDW, is there? :D

rcman2001
01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
I think they should get that ride, even if florida has it because disneyland neads to add more new rides.

CoasterMatt
01-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Mission: Space WAS going to be the "next big thing" franchise attraction for Disney (versions for just about every park, including our dear old Disneyland) - but the rides tendency to induce nausea (or claustrophobic panic) has put a damper on that. I wonder how much of the nausea is brought on by the slowly spinning gravity wheel in the queue area? I also wonder how many of the ill effects are caused by the constantly repeated warnings...

sleepyjeff
01-03-2004, 09:20 PM
I am sure Mission Space is a great ride and all. But how about a new ride for Disneyland that is unique to Disneyland?

I vote for the Western River Expediton . :)

cemeinke
01-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
I am sure Mission Space is a great ride and all. But how about a new ride for Disneyland that is unique to Disneyland?

Of course that one was intended for WDW ;)

I'd love to have Mission Space come to DL, but I fear the lukewarm response so far to the ride and it's astronomical cost will probably prevent that.

CoasterMatt
01-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Of course that one was intended for WDW ;)
But instead, they got a Reader's Digest version of PotC ;)

screamin4ever
01-03-2004, 10:10 PM
If Tomorrowland returns to a focus on Space Travel then I say great. Just fit it in the space where Innoventions is and it has to be better than video games. But maybe we should wait to see how many lawsuits Disneu has to settle first. No use spending the money and then closing the ride or worse, making it so slow that it is pointless. Tuck and Roll anyone?

rcman2001
01-03-2004, 10:18 PM
I like tommorowlands look right now, but I'm worried that the painting of space mountain may be followed by a retheming of the whole section. Ive heard of refurbishing walls, but nothing too big yet. Another reason dl wont get space is because of the huge lawsuit filed against disney from the manufacturers of the ride :crying:
Sorry when I posted the stuff about the law suits I didn't see your post screamin4ever.

Disneyphile
01-03-2004, 11:01 PM
I totally wish we would get M:S at DL! I went on it, and I can say that I get more nauseated on Star Tours.

It really is a fantastic ride, but I do think the nausea is connected with the overkill of warnings that psyches people up to expect it. I could never tell once that we were spinning. I watched the monitor and was like, "Wow! I'm blasting off to Mars!" The excitement stayed with me throughout the ride, and I never once felt ill.

Just imagine the ol' Mission to Mars attraction with modern technology, and a more "personal" experience. :D

This would definitely liven up Tomorrowland!

screamin4ever
01-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by rcman2001
I like tommorowlands look right now, but I'm worried that the painting of space mountain may be followed by a retheming of the whole section. Ive heard of refurbishing walls, but nothing too big yet. Another reason dl wont get space is because of the huge lawsuit filed against disney from the manufacturers of the ride :crying:
Sorry when I posted the stuff about the law suits I didn't see your post screamin4ever.

No problem. I can't keep up with anything usually. I forgot about that lawsuit already. I'm sure the brain injury cases are in the works as we speak.

I too like the new look more than the all white. SM looks better white however. The paving stones are not a favorite of mine but I also didn't like the black slurry look either. Since I swept it for an enitre summer I remember it well. But the all white version of Tomorrowland is too much 2001 A Space Odyssey for me. 45 minutes of silence as the screen slowly spins. Yikes! No wonder we beat down the doors of the theatres to see Star Wars.

You know I was reading a few websites of past world's fairs and I thought that Disney could make Tomorrowland into an aliens' universe fair. You know, how aliens would solve our modern problems if given the chance. We could ride in their vehicles and visit their visions of the future. Why not a variety show recreating Disney film moments with aliens playing the parts put to song in the carousel theatre? Maybe too much late night reading and not enough sleep.....That's the end of my machinations for tonight.

sneekin-in
01-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff

Sleepyjeff, what in the world is Western River Expedition is that
anything like Willamette Willys Water park:eek: Dose your favorite
breakfast cereal have Tucan Sam on the box:p

Loric
01-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by sneekin-in
Sleepyjeff, what in the world is Western River Expedition is that
anything like Willamette Willys Water park:eek: Dose your favorite
breakfast cereal have Tucan Sam on the box:p

*loud exasperated sigh for everyone who knows why i'm sighing...*

Okay, the Western River Expedition was to be the FL Magic Kingdom's version of Pirates. It was a fascinating concept and overall thought to possibly make a grand attraction. However, it was abandoned at the last minute, and Pirates was cloned instead.

In general, people feel the project was abandoned because they feared it wouldn't be well recieved and so they returned to "working" attractions that had crowds and copied those. Sometimes people choose not to take risks, and this appears to be one of those instances.

Mark Goldhaber
01-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Well, I'll be starting a series on the history of WDW on the main MousePlanet site in late January, and I'll be touching on WRE in around late spring or early summer. For a detailed story on WRE now, check out this site (http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/wre.htm).

DL4EVER
01-04-2004, 11:33 AM
One issue I would like to address, is that Disneyland itself simply doesn't have the space to do Mission: SPACE. Mission: SPACE has four big centrifuges, with I believe 10 pods each, each holding four people, and if you think about it, that's a lot of room, just excluding the queue and whatever else they would put in. DL simply doesn't have the space, maybe in the Big Thunder Ranch area, but what the heck would a space ride be doing in Frontierland?

Anyways, I vote Disneyland gets an original, mind-blowing ride, instead of more of this clone stuff.

hazlnut
01-04-2004, 01:37 PM
I like tommorowlands look right now, but I'm worried that the painting of space mountain may be followed by a retheming of the whole section. Ive heard of refurbishing walls, but nothing too big yet. Another reason dl wont get space is because of the huge lawsuit filed against disney from the manufacturers of the ride

Can you give me some more info on this.

I was just at WDW and was lucky enough to ride Mission:Space twice w/o any wait. In a word, I thought it was incredible. One the most amazing Disney attractions I've ever been on.

I had heard/read that some folks were having problems with it, but didn't know that people were already suing.

Mark Goldhaber
01-04-2004, 01:42 PM
The only lawsuit that I'm currently aware of is from the manufacturer of the ride system itself. Click here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/wdw/wdw030915.htm) for more info.

rcman2001
01-04-2004, 01:56 PM
The park has the space, most likely. It would require the demolition of innoventions, but who really cares about that? The last time I visited Disneyland was winter 2002 and I road the monorail from downtown Disney into the park. I did realize how close the park was to the roads with all the crappy stores on them, and how small the park is, so yes, there is a posibility of not enough room.

Matterhorn Fan
01-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Mission:Space is massive. It wouldn't fit in the space Innoventions currently takes up.

Moonliner
01-04-2004, 02:37 PM
When it comes to E-Ticket rides I'm not too picky, copy them, make new ones whatever. Just get them up and keep them up.

The only thing that gets me is re-dressing. Give me Indy or don't. Just don't dress it up in a new suit place it in AK and tell me it's something "new".

Pirate Girl
01-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I think they should get that ride, even if florida has it because disneyland neads to add more new rides.

Especially in Tomorrowland!

DL4EVER
01-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Actually, not too horribly many people know that DINOSAUR shares the same exact layout, but think about it. They are two different rides when it comes down to it. The cars react differently and the entire story is different. Only similarities are the technology and layout. Also, as far as I'm concerned, that would smack down half of Disney's rides. For example, Astro Orbitor is Dumbo, Alladin's Carpets, and the Dinosaur ride in AK that's like it, just redressed. Every single dark ride is just redressed.

Basically, I just don't really see your logic too much. Is Pirates not just a redressed version of Small World? Just trying to see your logic, possibly challenge it.

Moonliner
01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
not too horribly many people know that DINOSAUR shares the same exact layout

You mean, besides anyone that's ridden both??

Like many differences of opinion the roots of the issue can be traced back to point-of-view.

You seem to be looking at the issue from a technical/fact based viewpoint. I'm coming from a customer satisfaction point of view.

My first opinion after a ride on Dino was disappointment that it was just like Indy. At the time I did not know it had the same layout as Indy. I just found it to similar for my taste.

Sure there are several track-and-car type rides at DL but I do not not walk away from them feeling the same as Indy/Dino. Why? Now that's a good question.

Loric
01-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Steve0
You mean, besides anyone that's ridden both??

Like many differences of opinion the roots of the issue can be traced back to point-of-view.

You seem to be looking at the issue from a technical/fact based viewpoint. I'm coming from a customer satisfaction point of view.

My first opinion after a ride on Dino was disappointment that it was just like Indy. At the time I did not know it had the same layout as Indy. I just found it to similar for my taste.

Sure there are several track-and-car type rides at DL but I do not not walk away from them feeling the same as Indy/Dino. Why? Now that's a good question.

So, since I've ridden Dino I can scratch Indy off my to-do list?

I actually wont ride Dino again. It gave me a nastey headache and I came off with a ruined outfit. During the meteor sequence (i think) one of the effects splattered goo on my outfit.

I think the ride was a bit much in terms of trashing, but i think my headache came from the goo cuz the scent of it really bothered me. I'm one of those chemical sensative people.

But i've always wanted to see Indy..

ComfyCody
01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
I also had to throw away an outfit because of that "goo"! The other difference my husband and I have noted in the two rides is the volume. The fist time we rode Dinosaur my husband was on the right side the the car, and a dinosaur (carnotaurus?) growled VERY loudly in his ear. He claimed to not be able to hear out of his right ear for at least 20 minutes, and said it was ringing for days. (I just teased him relentlessly for being an old fuddy duddy!) The second time we rode I was in the "deaf seat" - and had the same experience, for some reason my husband was not very compassionate!:rolleyes:
Otherwise, very similar. Our family likes Indy better merely for the theming.