PDA

View Full Version : If Disneyland was yours...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gemini Cricket
09-30-2001, 10:42 PM
If you owned Disneyland what specifically would you change, add or delete?

For me, I'd make the Jungle Cruise longer and have it intersect with Indy in some way, I'd make the Rivers of America longer and I would invent an "Aladdin" ride.

tabacco
09-30-2001, 11:05 PM
I still want to see a Robin Hood attractionin the old Motor Boat Cruise area. It wouldn't even take all that much work to do, and the area already looks like something out of the movie.

beanpole
10-01-2001, 12:11 AM
I too would add an Aladdin ride. I've been thinking about it for years!

This would be a major E-Ticket attraction. It would feature flying-carpet themed vehicles traveling on overhead tracks (like Peter Pan) that use a motion base system to add dips and side-to-side swinging effects (like Indy). The attraction would begin with a tour of the public market, enter into the palace (where we meet the princess and other characters), climb upwards to enter Jafar's lair (where we meet Jafar and Iago), plunge into the dungeon, and climax with a race through the Cave of Wonders as it collapses around us with spectacular fire effects.

Of course, the characters throughout would be sophisticated AA figures - and the soundtrack would be based on songs and music from the film.

Where to put the attraction? Fantasyland? Adventureland?

10-01-2001, 04:54 AM
First up: a total re-do of Tomorrowland, including a new attraction in the sub lagoon and the return of the new and improved PeopleMover.

stevefulton
10-01-2001, 08:25 AM
Main Street
---------------
1. Bring back the Penny Arcade
2. Bring back the REAL Carnation Restraunt
3. Add Liberty Square with new dark ride themed to the USA war for Independence (move the cinema to Toontown to make room)

Fantasyland
----------------
1. Refurbish "Snow White" to complete its story.
2. Add another Dumbo ride
3. Add a "Beast's Castle" dark ride on the hill that now houses the
old Skyway entrance
4. Bring back the Motorboat Cruise, but theme it to go with "The Little Mermaid"
5. Add Villian Mountain, high-speed coaster to "ranch" area.

Toontown
-------------
1. Movie the "Main Street Cinema" here, and show many more and different cartoons.
2. Add a Mickey Mouse themed "Steamboat Willie" or other cartoon dark ride.

Tomorrowland
------------------
1. Gut Innoventions, create a Jules' Verne "Time Machine" Thrill-ride that uses second-generation "Indy" technology
2. Refurbish and re-open "Submarines" re-themed to 20000 Leagues Under The Sea.
3. Reinstall People mover. Theme it as "City Of The future" with all sorts of sponsored and imagineered displays, plus an ominious "technology cannot solve everything" ending.
4. Add new "Star Tours " film that has nothing to do with Star Wars Episode I, but instead is more like a short sequel to the 6 movie franchise.
5. Add "Buzz Lightyear" to Circlevision building.

Adventureland
------------------
1. Add an Aladdin-themed dark-ride/themed restaurant (like Pirates) where old Aladdin restrant is.
2. Add "dark-ride" portion to Jungle Cruse to intersect with Indy. straightend river a bit to make room for Aladdin ride. Re-theme to go with "The Lion King"
3. Add "Mine-car" thrill ride to intersect with Indy show building.

Critter Country/HundredAcre Wood
--------------------------------------------
1. Add technologically superior "Pooh" ride
2. Add a "Pooh" thrmed playground with innovative activities like "Blustery Day" wind tunnel, and a "whoopdedooperalliooper bounce" room.

Tom Sawyer Island
------------------------
1. Improve "America" theme.
2. Add more, and more elaborate caves
3. Add theatre to North side with Native American show.
4. Add mini National Landmarks, and improve play areas.
5. Add "Life On The Frontier" 3-D movie to Fort Widerness

JRob2k1
10-01-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by beanpole
I too would add an Aladdin ride. I've been thinking about it for years!

This would be a major E-Ticket attraction. It would feature flying-carpet themed vehicles traveling on overhead tracks (like Peter Pan) that use a motion base system to add dips and side-to-side swinging effects (like Indy). The attraction would begin with a tour of the public market, enter into the palace (where we meet the princess and other characters), climb upwards to enter Jafar's lair (where we meet Jafar and Iago), plunge into the dungeon, and climax with a race through the Cave of Wonders as it collapses around us with spectacular fire effects.

I like the sound of that Aladdin ride!! I would also throw in an animatronic...But not just any, something huge and immense and it would be of Jafar when he was the snake!!! Think of flying into something like that!!

Good stuff!

-JRob

merlinjones
10-01-2001, 10:02 AM
My Main Street changes:

* Expand Walt Disney Story display into nice mini-museum with lots of props/memorabilia from Archives, ARL, WDI, Retlaw.

* Refurbish Main Street Cinema into screening room as planned. Show classic featurettes and shorts.

* Restore Carnation Cafe/Ice Cream Parlor (get rid of out-of-period bakery, move baked goods to where ice cream is now, properly themed to period).

* Restore Penny Arcade.

* Add a new ice cream/coffee/tea/desert cafe to Carnation Plaza Gardens, themed to Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday (with Penguins, street/chalk artists).

* Convert Plaza Pavillion into Tony's Italian Restaurante from "Lady and the Tramp" - - add alley area where you can peek back to see animatronic Lady and Tramp eating dinner. Tony and Joe stroll and sing while you dine.

* Turn now defunct Egg House area into Pollyanna shop with inspirational gifts.

* Change Disney Showcase into Vault Disney Store with exclusive CDs, VHS and DVDs of all old Disney films, tv shows, shorts, records, etc. Flip books from ARL original pencil drawings. Reprints of classic Disney books.

* Bring any retired vehicles back out on rotating basis.

* Have new ride posters silkscreened (fade proof) for main entrance tunnels and elsewhere.

* Bring back Main Street Electrical Parade with new units for Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Mermaid and Beauty/Beast.

* Return Candelight Ceremony to Main Street Plaza.

* Increase concerts by Disneyland Band (new bandstand?).

* Return old-fashioned Easter Parade to Main Street.

* Open walk area to view Walt's apartment over firehouse.

Darkbeer
10-01-2001, 01:45 PM
Restore the Penny Arcade... people with excellent taste!!!!:D

totbellhop
10-01-2001, 03:13 PM
I would do this:

Main Street U.S.A:

*Move Abraham Lincon Show to New Orleans Square or to another part of Main Street.
*So a more elaborated "Walt Disney Story"

Fantasyland:

*Put a "Mermaid" or "Beauty and the Beast" dark ride behind the Matterhorn, near "it's a small world".
*Put Animazement Spooktacular, and Christmas Special, show in the holidays.

Adventureland:

*Expand the Jungle Cruise so it can travel across the Temple of the Forbidden Eye.
*Add an Aladdin dark ride behind the Jungle Cruise and Main Street U.S.A. buildings. The Entrance could be the Aladdin's Oasis.

New Orleans Square:

*Add the Hall of Presidents over the New Orleans Square buildings were Club 33 is. Move Lincoln here.
*Put a restaurant near the Haunted Mansion themed to it.

Critter Country:

*Put the Country Bears in DCA, near GRR.
*Expand Critter Country behind the Rivers of America.
*Put a swamp themed thrill ride there.
*Put the Tokyo Dl. Pooh ride also.

Toontown:

*Put a cartoon show, themed to an autocinema, showing Disney movies previews as preshows.

Frontierland:

*Add Skull Rock in the Rivers of America, as the Columbia dock.
*Update Fantamic, convining all the scenes from the actual, and from the MGM Studios one.
*Add Cascade Peak, were the Big Thunder Ranch was, to be a boat ride, mine train (Rainbow Caverns), a Geyser Water Playground and thrill ride(thrill shot were you shut up from a geyser/Twilight Zone ride).

Tomorrowland:

*Paint all of Tomorrowland like the Buzz Lightyear of Star Comand series buildings, this area will now look like the Buzz Universe (White, green, purple, blue and black tones).
*Put back Circlevision, but this time with an Omnimax screen and new movies showing.
*Put back Rocket Rods, but now with banked turns, more effects, more airtime, and the queue could be underground, spiraling all the top to Observatron Tower.
*Put a new Star Tours, and preshow, showing Jabba, Joda, Darth, Luke, and others waiting for their trip in a comical way, as well as a new trip, going thru a meteor herd, passing near a Pod-race, crashing in a Gungan Lagoon, passing near Echo Base in Hoth, thru Bespin, near the Death Star, Trade Federation Ship, near Endor, and other planets.
*Update Space Mountain with some new effects, but not like Disneyland Paris version.
*Replace Honey I Shrunk the Audience with a Buzz show.
*Remove Club Buzz and put back the Tomorrowland Terrace.
*Update Innoventions to be like Zurgs Palace, inside the exhibits could be replaced with a Carousel of Progress type of ride but themed to Zurg and Star Comand battle, but you can interact with it, with lazers or something.
*Put Astro Jets themed to Buzz ships.
*Move Autopia to DCA or move it to Toontown, move the Astro Orbitor, redirect the Monorail Track to add a new land convining the Sub-Lagoon:

Discoveryland: (Jules Verne Universe)

*Add Mount Prometeus(smaller version)enclosing the Sub Lagoon.
*Put 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
*Add the Nautilus Exhibit.
*Add Journey to the Center of the Earth.
*Move the Astro Orbitor to here.
*Put a From the Earth to the Moon ride, with the COLUMBIAD cannon and a new building but not looking like Space Mountain.
*Put a Around the World in Eighty Days Exhibit.
*Put the Vulcania Restaurant.
*Mount Prometeus could erupt every night like in DisneySea.

I hope you liked my ideas, feel free to use them if you like them. Some of them I read them from another Mesagge Boards and another threads.

Napsto
10-01-2001, 03:25 PM
what wold happen with club 33?

totbellhop
10-01-2001, 03:33 PM
Move it to Main Street.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-01-2001, 04:55 PM
My gosh, you guys got it all figured out, don't you? ;) There are a lot of amazing ideas here. Disney Execs, are you listening???

I love the Jolly Holiday eatery!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - COUNTRY bears don't belong in a CALIFORNIA park.

No Buzz-land! No one character deserves a land. I'm all for a Buzz ride, but not the whole land.

All the other ideas are fine by me. :D

DisneylandBoy
10-01-2001, 05:31 PM
Here's my LONG list.

Main Street, USA
I would bring back the old Main Street. All of the stores would be themed to go with the time era and would sell cool things (i.e. a watch store, a candy store, a corner grocery store, etc.) And I would repaint everything!

Fantasyland
1. I would redo Snow White to have a complete ending.
2. I would add the dragon back into the Sleeping Beauty Walk-Through
3. I would have characters stand by their ride (i.e. Snow White at Snow White, Peter Pan at Peter Pan) and greet guests as they exit.
4. I would add Fastpass to Peter Pan and Dumbo
5. I would take out the Fantasyland theatre and add a Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid and Cinderella Dark Ride.

Tomorrowland
1. I would put a new cool show in where Innoventions is.
2. I would put in the People Mover again.
3. I would redo Star Tours so it has an Episode I theme
4. I would add Circle Vision.

Adventureland
1. I would add an Aladdin Dark Ride (like Peter Pan) where you fly on a magic carbet over Agrabah.
2. I would add a Lion King show (like the one at WDW)

Frontierland
1. I would put in the Mine Train Ride.

New Orleans Square
I would leave this alone!

Critter Country
1. I would put in the ORIGINAL Country Bear Show
2. AND I would add Winnie the Pooh ride.

Mickey's Toontown
1. I would paint it so it is bright again.

In General
I would repaint almost everything, keep it clean and happy!

DisneylandKid
10-01-2001, 05:54 PM
I think a Beauty & The Beast darkride near small world/parade storage area would be cool. They could do a lot of "Fantasyland-" appropriate things. It could be a major E-ticket.

The Aladdin thing sounds a lot like Indy. :(

Dreamstaker
10-01-2001, 06:38 PM
I would stand behind my Imagineering team and support them with the funds they need to continually bring the park ahead of its time. There must be other ways to cut costs until the money rolls in again.

DisneyFreak2000
10-01-2001, 07:01 PM
Main Street USA-
1. Bring back all the old vehicles and keep them out on continuous circles
2. Move the Main Street Cinema to Toontown, and replace it with a Disneyladn throughout the years exhibit with Yesterland ride parts a complete model of the Resort, etc.
3. Bring back the penny arcade

Adventureland-
1. Re-do the Jungle Cruise to include Indy
2. Create an Aladdin dark ride in the Aladdin Oasis section, not necessarily a thrill ride (for we already have Indy in this rather small section) but one along the scale of Peter Pan.
3. Re-do the birds to their original style when Walt created them.
4. Replace Tarzan with Swiss Family Tree Robinson again (an updated one. Disney should remake this movie, too.)

New Orleans Square/Liberty Square-
1. I think that the theming should expand over the railroad tracks into a quiant cul-de-sac where Hall of the Presidents could be featured.
2. Update Haunted Mansion with hew technology

Critter Country-
1. Put the Country Bears in DCA near GRR but possbly re-did so they sang CA tunes otherwise keep them in one theatre
2. Put Pooh in, but a fun and entertaining version like at TDL
3. DO NOT NAME IT HUNDRED ACRE WOODS, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. NO ONE CHARACTER SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN LAND!!!

Frontierland-
1. Replace the Festival Arena with Geyser Mountain otherwise bring back the Festival Fool show
2. Tom Sawyer Island needs an overhaul with more caves, activites and maybe the Indian show suggestion
3. Somewhere put in the Animal Kingdom Pocahontas show with some AA figures of Flik, Meeko, etc. Maybe this could go on the trail from Fantasyland to Frontierland

Tommorowland-
1. Put Buzz in Rocket Rod queue
2. Repaint Space Mountain (not to white, sorry) but to a new color that doesn't look so bad
3. Create a new Star Tours movie (mabye to another planet or something)
4. Bring back Rocket Rods with a banked track
6. Replace Innoventions with Alien Encounter
7. Bring back TL Terrace

Discoveryland-
1. Put in a mini Mt. Prometheus behind the sub lagoon
2. Bring back the subs to 20K Leagues theme
3. Put in Jourrney To the Center Of the Earth

Fantasyland-
1. Put Villains Mountain on FEstival Arena, if Geyser Mountain isn't there. This will be either a) a roller coaster or b) a river ride like Jurrasic Park.
2. Put A Beauty/ Beast DR where Skyway used to be
3. REtheme the carousel to do with Cinderella
4. Put The Little MErmaid DR in Motor Boat Cruise area
5. Put Legend of Lion King on trail from Fantasyland to FRontierland (opposing theatre of Pocahontas show)
6. Replace Annimazement with a new show
7. Re-do IASW facade

Toontown-
1. Put Cinema in Downtown Toontown as the "Toon's THeatre" where they all go to see a flick
2. Put the Mickey Mouse Revue in here somewhere
3. Repaint everything

Entertainment-
1. Fantasmic- Bring back new Ursula float---that's it. I don't WDW just so that these two will be unique and aren't direct clones of eachother.
2. MSEP- With new floats and combined with the old Magic Kingdom of WDW one
3. New day time parade
4. Halloween season parade based on Nightmare Before Christmas' song "This is Halloween (The Pumpkin Song)." Floats based on the things hiding under your bed and stairs, etc. Jack and Sally on that hill thing at the end. I REALLY would love to see a parade like this, it would be an instant classic.
5. NEw show in Fantasyland Theatre

THat's all I could think of at the moment, but for more ideas of mine and others go to the 'What Disneyland Resort Lacks,' 'Imaginerring' or 'If You Owned Disneyland' threads.

DisneylandKid
10-01-2001, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
NO ONE CHARACTER SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN LAND!!!
I couldn't agree with you more. This is why I have always disliked the name of that happy little land at the back of the park: MICKEY'S Toontown. Why not just Toontown? Since when do individuals own their own towns? ;)

DisneyFreak2000
10-01-2001, 07:21 PM
Exactly! Mickey's Toontown SHOULD HAVE been named something else, but I actually can handle this name for its the lesser of the evils. Mickey was the inspiration of all Disney, he's the "mayor" of the town and the whole land isn't just Mickey but all other toons. If we get "Buzz Lightyear land" or "100 Acre Woods" it won't make sense because they have nothing to do with Disneyland but the ride/ movies themselves. THat's why I hope Critter Country remains Critter Country.

thamnarestan
10-01-2001, 07:36 PM
First of all, the thread should be titled "If Disneyland were yours....". Subjunctive mood.

Okie-dokie. Mabye Mickey founded Toontown and it was named in his honor...

merlinjones
10-01-2001, 10:05 PM
* Refurbish the Adventureland gate to eliminate the odd little leftover walk area to the right side of the sign, increasing traffic flow.

* Refurbish and redesign the Tiki Room entrance to feature a better view of the Tiki House from the Adventureland side and a more inviting lanai area (with an expanded virgin Tropical drink bar sponsored by Dole). Add some impressive giant tikis (like the ones at WDW) to this new entrance area. Old Tiki entrance outside AL gate becomes rainforest with intriguing glimpse of Tiki House.

* Refurbish the Tiki Room show. Add some new effects.

* Restore the Tahitian Terrace Restaurant and Polynesian Revue (connect show area to new Tiki Room lanai and bar). When Revue is not playing there is entertainment by modern Tiki Pop lounge bands (such as Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack or The Blue Hawaiians).

* Eliminate ugly FastPass areas throughout park.

* How about a cute drinking fountain statue of Junior the Elephant from Jungle Book squirting water from his nose for you to drink? Needs to be some nice design element like this over by the bathrooms, which are framed by the AL gate. Nothing there now to look at.

* Cool Lion King walkaround animal puppets (like the ones on Broadway). An outdoor puppet theatre would be even better if possible to squeeze in.

* Swiss Family Robinson return to their treehouse home with indoor plumbing and water wheel. Swisskapolka loudly pumps through the air again!!!

* Tarzan inherits Indiana Jones store.

* Refurbish Jungle Cruise. Some new scenes and effects.

(Aladdin moves to Fantasyland as part of big new addition on FL Theatre site - - details to come).

ishthroat
10-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Disneyland Rail Road:
Update the Grand Canyon with "Jurrasic Park" type dinosaurs

Main Street:
Make the the 2nd floors of the buildings Hotel rooms

Adventure Land:
Refurbish the Tiki Room (my girl friend's favorite). Update
the animatronics and effects
Make the Jungle Cruise longer and add more scenes. Slow down
the spiel...its not a race...but a cruise! Maybe have the cruise cruise Indiana Jones Bridge.

There's more...I'm just tired

:o

Gemini Cricket
10-01-2001, 10:34 PM
thamnarestan:

Disneyland is singular. "Was" is a verb for singular nouns.

There are a huge number of good ideas brought up on this thread! Do we know our Disneyland or what? :)

merlinjones
10-02-2001, 08:25 AM
* Club 33 is opened to the public with advance reservation. Disneyland is again a populist state.

* Full size litho repros of ALL ride posters are sold at Gallery, as are hand silkscreened repros.

* A huge month long Mardi Gras festival is thrown annually in NOS, with crew parades and bead tossing. Nightime private costume parties continue into the wee hours culminating on Fat Tuesday. NOS becomes the SoCal center for Mardi Gras junkies that can't get to the real N'awlins.

* Ugly FastPass signs and areas are elimintated throughout the park.

* Original Attic scene and narration is restored to Haunted Mansion (with Hatbox Ghost). New effects and refurbishment throughout. Glass pane is fixed.

* Original gags are restored to Pirates of the Carribbean rape scene and finale.

* Virgin Hurricanes and Juleps are sold at stand.

* Icky storyline and music are removed from Fantasmic! which becomes instead a lovely visual/musical spectacular without the preachy/talky cheese. Limited showings so the Mark Twain can return to relaxing nightime trips after the show. If this isn't possible, close Fantasmic! and send it to DCA.

* Something attractive (foliage building) is put on the showcase bank of Tom Sawyer Island which is now just an ugly collection of empty stage space most of the day. This should be a prime photo location. It looked much better (natural, rugged) in the days before River Stage debuted.

* RiverBelle Terrace serves breakfast/brunch buffet until 3PM on weekends. They always serve Mickey Mouse Pancakes around the clock.

* New Orleans style Offices (originally a restaurant) next to RiverBelle (along River) become a fresh Beignet and chicory coffee stand (like Cafe DuMonde).

* The fabulous Golden Horseshoe Revue (with comedians and can-can girls!!!) is restored to Saloon.

* Frontierland gate/fort is restored, refortified.

* Zorro is properly liscensed for the restaurant and a new ride (what is Zocalo anyway?). A big carved Z is put in the adobe wall. Food is improved.

* Zorro fights in the streets again with much derring do in daily performances.

* Mariachis play in the courtyard at all times.

* Three Caballeros characters perform with hot Latina chicks.

* Permanent tamale stand.

* Zorro's Black Whip hanging coaster is built in Frontierland back area. Coaster whips you across California landscape, through Pueblo de Los Angeles, Diego's Hacienda and the Zorro cave.

* Pathway is opened up to the the western wilds of the Rivers of America all the way through to Critter/Bear Country for improved traffic flow.

* Between new Zorro ride and Critter/Bear Country is a new Indian Village along the banks of the River (perhaps Pocahontas themed). Native crafts and authentic tribal dances are featured. Dark ride takes you through the colorful mysticism of Native American lore to meet the Coyote and other mythic charcters.

* Fresh roasted corn on the cob is served in Indian Village.

* A new and improved Chuck Wagon BBQ restaurant is opened in this area (its so nice to eat in the wilds).

* Nice new sign for Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes (there isn't a real one now).

* Country Bears become animatronic performers at recnfigured Hungry Bear restaurant.

* Country Bear show building becomes dark ride featuring Tall Tales of American Heroes and Legends as seen in Disney cartoons (Pecos Bill, John Henry, Paul Bunyan, Casey Jones, Johnny Appleseed, et al). Spider-MAn like 3-D effects combioned with motion base brings you right into the stories. (Pooh moves to Fantasyland where he belongs).

* The Bear Country/Critter Country name is eliminated as this all becomes Frontierland again.

* Animators are brought in to restage/make more sense of the storyline in Splash Mountain. Uncle Remus narration is added to clear up the narrative.

* Song of the South is sold on VHS and DVD at the Briar Patch (perhaps exclusively).

* Mike Fink Keel Boats are returned to the River.

* All watercraft are meticulously restored.

* Fort Wilderness is restored with new snack bar. Secret passage from Fort to bank is reopened. New trails and explorations are added on back of Island. (New Indian Village might be located here instead).

10-02-2001, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Doc
thamnarestan:

Disneyland is singular. "Was" is a verb for singular nouns.

Oooh, grammar fight! I am quite sure thamnarestan is correct about the subjunctive mood, although in spoken American English the "was" would pass.

Much more importantly, we all understand each other.

SimpTwister
10-02-2001, 10:17 AM
Tomorrowland

New CircleVision film

Restore PeopleMover (maybe)

Remove HISTA

Move Innoventions to DTD.

OmniMover ride (Buzz or Inner Space... or TRON!)

Star Tours - COMPLETE update. New hardware, software. 3 slightly different programs. Digital projection would accommodate randomness. Queue could stay pretty much the same.

Space Mountain: Repaint white.

Autopia: Move to DCA

Discoveryland (New Land)

Astro Orbitor: Move to Autopia area.

Discovery Mountain (DLP style SM) on 'island' in sub building area

Nautilus restaurant or walk-thru with underwater views of lagoon

North side of Terrace redone to 'Discoveryland' style, with Airship Hyperion hangar like @ DLP

Fantasyland

Mermaid Cruise: Comandeer your own vessel as you search the seas for mermaids. Boats would travel around Discovery Mountain, then enter a show building featuring scenes from Ariel's undersea world.

Frontierland

New E-Ticket in BBQ area. Villain Mountain, Geyser Mountain, or...?

Complete walkway loop to west end of Toontown

That's all. ;)