PDA

View Full Version : Indy Single Rider/SAP Line

Uncle Dick
01-02-2004, 02:38 PM
As someone who generally visits the park alone, I absolutely cannot live without Single Rider, especially on busy days. Unfortunately, on my most recent visit, I was terribly confused by the system in place at the Indiana Jones Adventure. I'm hoping that someone in the know, CM or otherwise, can clear things up.

Usually, when I ride Indy, I grab my single rider pass, head up the exit and make a beeline for the elevator, flashing my pass to the CM. 99% of the time, this works just fine; the CMs seem to appreciate my initiative and I get on the ride within minutes.

On a recent, busy weekend day, I proceeded as usual, winding my way down the exit path until I came upon a long line full of SAP holders. I proceeded towards the elevators past the snaking assemblage of guests with disabilities (and fakers), noting that no one was standing in the Single Rider queue, and I was about to step into the elevator when a CM pointed me towards the back of the SAP line. I reiterated that I was a single rider and questioned whether I belonged in the SAP line but he insisted (kindly) that I stand in it.

So I guess my question is "why?" Why do Single Riders have to wait in the SAP line when doing so defeats the purpose of the system, which is to increase the efficiency of the attraction while providing a benefit for single guests?

TheatreTech
01-02-2004, 02:50 PM
A similar situation happened to me. I walked to the elevator, was about to push the button and the CM called out for me to wait. I was like--->:confused:
He told the people behind me to go up the stairs to the right. He stopped the line and took their passes as they entered. I was about to give him mine, but has said, "Sorry, I thought you had the (I forgot what he called it, but, they were a similar colour) pass." Then he told me to go up the elevator, across, and down, as usual.:rolleyes:
Maybe the CM you encountered thought you had the other pass too.
But, you (Uncle Dick) said, "I reiterated that I was a single rider and questioned whether I belonged in the SAP line but he insisted (kindly) that I stand in it."
So I don't know. I'm also confuzzled. Does anyone know what the other pass might have been?

rexfarms
01-02-2004, 04:17 PM
It was probably a child swap.

DL4EVER
01-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Actually, they have been doing this. They did it a few times while I was there between the 26th and 30th. I agree it is different, and yeah, defeats the purpose, but regardless, the SAP line is shorter than that MONSTER of a stand-by queue.

SoCalDisneyLover
01-03-2004, 03:41 AM
Sounds Stupid & Illogical to me.

Morrigoon
01-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Actually, I used to get ticked off by guests who couldn't wait three freaking minutes for me to see their passes and send them up the elevator. Just wait in the SAP line and hold you pass where the CMs can see it. They'll get to you when they're ready for you. Remember, we're trying to coordinate a lot of stuff there, not the least of which is getting SAP groups up and over the elevator as quickly as possible, and if a couple cutting single riders hop into an elevator leaving no room for the ECV I was about to send up, well that delays things a little doesn't it? Also, we can only send over so many single riders at a time or it gets WAY too crowded on the loading platform. You need to let the CMs control what's going on. Believe it or not, they know what they're doing.

Just wait, it's only a couple minutes people, it's not that big a deal and makes our job easier when we know what's going on.

SoCalDisneyLover
01-03-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't have a problem with waiting, but isn't it inefficient to make the single riders wait at the back of the SAP line as opposed to having their own separate wait time based upon how many single riders there are? Why sould a single have to wait in a long SAP line, while vehicles are dispatched with empty spots, just because they're behind groups of people waiting for handicapped spots to open up?

Morrigoon
01-03-2004, 11:37 AM
That's why CMs frequently scan the SAP line and pull single riders and child swappers out of the SAP line. But there is a limited amount of waiting areas inside. So if we need you to wait, there you are. It doesn't mean you're technically behind those people.

Uncle Dick
01-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Also, we can only send over so many single riders at a time or it gets WAY too crowded on the loading platform. You need to let the CMs control what's going on. Believe it or not, they know what they're doing.
The platform was completely bereft of single riders from what I could see, and when I'm in single rider mode, even a couple of minutes feels like an eternity. Nevertheless, I appreciate your perspective.

I suspected it had something to do with elevator capacity but needed to know for sure whether or not merging single rider and SAP was SOP. I've been around enough CMs of questionable competency to know that they don't all know what they're doing. ;)

jerhow
01-03-2004, 07:58 PM
When I was at the park on New Year's Eve, I asked the Indy Cast Member for a single rider pass, and he told me they eliminated that option to avoid confusion because of the whole SAP situation. Not sure if this was temporary because of the large crowds on the holidays, or if they are changing their policy completely. But I agree with you - single rider is definitely the way to go.

Morrigoon
01-04-2004, 02:37 AM
Perhaps for the day... I was there on the 29th and we used single rider.

cstephens
01-04-2004, 08:51 AM
I remember a few of the times we rode Rocket Rods, the single rider and SAP line were the same line. Didn't make any sense to me.

RStar
01-04-2004, 01:02 PM
So, Morrigoon, the SAP "Line" is also used as a general "coral" of sorts. In other words just because you are behind the SAPs does not mean you will have to wait for them to go. This is simply the pool of people being put on the ride in a different fasion than the norm.

And folks, the CMs need to know who the guests are and where they are to keep track of everything.

Also, it sounds like with current changes to the SAP program things may quite down in that area making the whole SAP/Single rider/Baby swap more managable. Or at least we hope.

RStar
01-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I remember a few of the times we rode Rocket Rods, the single rider and SAP line were the same line. Didn't make any sense to me.

How many lines do you think they can accomidate? Having regular stanby, SAP, Fastpass, Child swap, head of the line (used as comps for ride breakdowns, ect.) and single rider pass become seperate lines would make the queue enormus! They use the one line for multiple uses. And they take it all into consideration. And most of all, even though we don't always belive it, the CMs usually do know what they are doing and we need to trust them (as Morrigoon said).