PDA

View Full Version : Old Attractions

stitchhead
01-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, Tiki Room, Star Tours. All great attractions that are popular among us. But, it seems that these and other attractions are starting to become boring among annual pass holders, or people who revisit the park. The last time I went through Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, I almost fell asleep. Tiki Room, as much as I love it, I think its time that they either retire it, or update it like the one in Florida. Star Tours, great thrill ride, but they need new film footage. The one presently running is good, but for the main part, old. Present Disney attractions such as these in my friends and my opinion to a certain extent need either a serious update, or just retire it. Like Ariels Grotto for instance. Keep the fountains, but why not bring back a retro version of The House of the Future? Or on Star Tours, instead of having the same thing over and over for each of the simulators, why not have a separate film for each of the 4 starspeeders? Instead of having each one going to the moon of Endor, have each starspeeder going to a different destination. Finally for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, why not rotate that film with something like Captain EO, or even some new 3D show? So old attractions, should they be updated or retired? And are there any other attractions at any Disney resort you can think of that need to be updated or retired?

sleepyjeff
01-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I think too many attractions have been retired. Subs, People Mover, Sky Way, Keel Boats, Motor Boat Cruise, and the Tahitian Terrace to just name a few. As for updating; I suppose if it is done well, that would be fine......but no more Tarzan Tree House type updates please. If you find attractions too boring. Don't see them and let the tourists have a shorter line.:)

Forbin
01-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Well it's might be a bit of a exagerration....Tiki room runs about 1/4 full for each run. That's not too bad. Jungle Cruise is Older than spit and it still has a line for it.

Star tours needs a new film and can be programmed very quickly, but probably Lucas (Who owns the SW rights Exclusively) probably won't allow it unless the 3rd film completely tanks.

So you don't need to retire those attractions, but maybe change it so that it runs a different version every hour or so to keep up the excitement. Heck the tiki room in Florida is very different than the one in CA I wonder if they can get it to do both versions.

DisneyFan25863
01-01-2004, 08:16 PM
I agree with you. EXCPET for the facts about HISTA. Plus, I will chain myself to the Tiki Room door before they make it Under New Managment :p <----throwing up.

Not Afraid
01-01-2004, 08:44 PM
I still love the TR! I also have never been bored with HM and PotC. However, there are some "newer old" attractions that need to go. It's sad when their predecessors were better than the current offering. the HISTA and Star Tours spaces come to mind as well as Inniventions.

*sigh*

It seems all roads lead to the faded Tomorrowland.

Loric
01-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Forbin
Well it's might be a bit of a exagerration....Tiki room runs about 1/4 full for each run. That's not too bad. Jungle Cruise is Older than spit and it still has a line for it.

Star tours needs a new film and can be programmed very quickly, but probably Lucas (Who owns the SW rights Exclusively) probably won't allow it unless the 3rd film completely tanks.

So you don't need to retire those attractions, but maybe change it so that it runs a different version every hour or so to keep up the excitement. Heck the tiki room in Florida is very different than the one in CA I wonder if they can get it to do both versions.

Programming simulators is far from a simple task. It takes lots of time. Make a mistake, and you make people sick - hence the removal of the right lung sequence of body wars.

Saratoga75
01-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Well I too enjoy Star Tours, but frankly it's getting old. I've been hearing for years that Disney was in talks with Lucas involving changing the ride. Obviously nothing. Enough with the same destination to "Endor". . it would be nice for a chance. . perhaps "Hoth" which we see so much of being "advertised" on the giant overhead screen we look at when we enter the STar Tours building. . . also it be nice to put our dear friend "Rex" our pilot droid into retirement or change his sound track you've been our pilot for over 20 years. and everytime it's your 1st flight. A note to the Disney Imaginners before you start working on this ride or any other ride at the Disneyland Resort. . PLEASE finish SPace Mountain!!!. .and surprise us all by finishing this ride before the Nov/DEC 2005 projected reopening date!

sneekin-in
01-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
I think too many attractions have been retired. Subs, People Mover, Sky Way, Keel Boats, Motor Boat Cruise, and the Tahitian Terrace to just name a few. As for updating; I suppose if it is done well, that would be fine......but no more Tarzan Tree House type updates please. If you find attractions too boring. Don't see them and let the tourists have a shorter line.:)

sleepyjeff, i think you should share some of your ideas about
redoing some of the retired rides ( little mermaid submarine ride )
with all at MP.:D Whats your favorite cereal again coco puffs.:eek:

ModHatter
01-02-2004, 02:34 AM
Tiki Room needs new fronting is all. Do like the parrot in front of WDW Pirates.

Star Tours, I have begun to firmly feel, needs to go away entirely, or be transferred to the DCA Backlot, ala Disney MGM. And new films are imperative. Lucas should encourage Disney to have a Tatooine trip land us in the middle of the Pod Race, or maybe one that takes us underwater to JarJar's home. (ANY excuse to get underwater in Tomorrowland again! Then again, I'd fear and loathe a JarJar overlay for the Subs... *shiver*)

How many movies does DLR need? (favorite answer: none.) Dump HISTA. And Muppetvision... turn MV3D into a 3D movie version of the Great Movie Ride, or dump the movie concept entirely. But for the HISTA space, I'd have to know what's behind the Pizza Port. I would think you could tear out the theater entirely and do... something. ANYthing.

Loric
01-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by ModHatter

How many movies does DLR need? (favorite answer: none.)

Oh, c'mon now. Circle-vision movies are a Disney original and classic.. too bad you dont have any though, come to think of it.

ModHatter
01-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Well, I do put CircleVision in a different class. Of course, Timekeeper plus Canada plus China is bordering on excessive...

Besides, our Circlevision is going away to put in Buzz, and I highly doubt they'd build another, even to replace HISTA or one of the 3 movies in DCA.

If we DID get it back, I'd like them to use it more creatively. I have several designs for theme restaurants that would use the Circlevision technology. (For example, imagine that the black strips between the screens are covered over and integrated into "support columns" for an undersea dome or giant diving bell. Diners would have the illusion of being in a reverse aquarium, with the fish swimming outside the restaurant.

Tigertail777
01-02-2004, 03:31 AM
I think the problem isnt so much that the attractions need to be torn out, its that they need first of all more love and care... poor tiki room is like a dust and spider web bin, and secondly they need more plussing. Remember that term walt coined? "plussing" is adding TO the magic, without detracting or taking away from the magic already present. I can think of many ways to plus the tiki room for instance without destroying the original show. (sorry but the problem with the Florida one is, even if you like it, you have to have seen the original show to understand the parody... irony is with the real show gone you cannot if you havnt been before. New tiki room mercilessly parodies the old show, so it alienates the fans of the original, and makes it less enjoyable for those who hadnt seen the original.)
OK a for instance for plussing: add fiber optics embedded all over the base of the magical fountain, then have beautiful colored lights "dance" in time to some of the music. Thats just one small idea, it doesnt detract or take any magic away from the original show, it plusses it.

Loric
01-02-2004, 04:06 AM
I personally found Uh-oh-a (or whatever her name is..) The tiki god of bad stuff, a nice surprise.

A well articulated animatronic with a cool color scheme and some really scary hair. :)

Tigertail777
01-02-2004, 04:18 AM
LOL... the woman tiki that fries iago? yes very well done... but what I was saying is the STORY doesnt make much sense to those who havnt seen the original. Many of the new effect stuff are pretty cool (except removing the enchanted fountain... in my book a big sin). Plus those new songs... blah sorry but way not to my liking the original tiki room has more polynesian roots (the war chant song fer instance) and therefore fits the theme, "in the still of the night" does not. If it was temporary I would say it was fine, but the florida redo is permanant.

side note: I really think they oughta make a tiki room christmas layover... mele kalikemaka that would be so cool.:D