PDA

View Full Version : New security checkpoints now open at the Disneyland Resort - here's what we know

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
12-14-2016, 09:31 PM
https://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/258924-2/DtDSecurity-121116-AVP.jpg

As we've been reporting in the weekly Disneyland Resort Update (https://www.mouseplanet.com/tag/2/Disneyland_Resort_Update/) here on MousePlanet, the Disneyland Resort has been working to build three new security checkpoints that will move visitor screening away from the west esplanade entrance, and closer to the parking lots and Disneyland Resort hotels. As we shared this Monday (https://www.mouseplanet.com/11634/Disneyland_Resort_Update_for_December_12__18_2016# news2), the three checkpoints appeared nearly complete last weekend, and we expected the new screening procedures to be implemented as early as this coming weekend.

As it happens, the new checkpoints open on Thursday December 15th. There has been quite a lot of chatter on social media about what these changes will mean, and a LOT of rumors about various operational changes. I've spoken with Disney employees both on- and off-the-record to try to get answers and clarifications, and try to debunk some of the rumors. Here's what we know now; I'll update this post with additional details, information and clarification as the situation evolves.

Updated 12/15/16 4:44 p.m. Now that we've see one morning / day of operation, I've updated some of the "what we know / what we don't know" below to fill in some blanks. If you've read MousePlanet for a while, you know that we often discuss the difference between Policy and Practice. Disney's official policy may say one thing, but the operational practice may be another thing entirely. This can be due to inconsistent communication to front-line CMs, or because of on-the-fly changes that are made by front-line managers to fix unexpected issues that come up, but that don't trickle back up far enough to be influence the policy.

What this all means is that where I know of a difference between the official policy and the operational practice, I'll provide that info so you can be prepared for when the practice changes to more closely match policy.

Mickey and Friends parking structure security checkpoint

The biggest of the new checkpoints is located at the Mickey and Friends parking structure, where the tram route has been completely reworked to connect to a newly constructed loading area. Arriving visitors will be screened before boarding the trams to Downtown Disney. There are 8 tents in this grouping, each with two tables and metal detectors.

What we know:

You can still walk to Disneyland if you don't want to take the tram. If you park on levels 2-6, there are signs at the base of the escalators directing you to the walkway. To get there, you'll first cross the tram route as it passes through the lower floor of the structure. Follow the signs, and you'll come out on the other side of the tram route, beyond the security zone. Continue to follow the signs to Magic Way. Cross Magic Way at the signal, and walk to the southeast entrance of Downtown Disney, by the ESPN Zone. You'll pass through the Downtown Disney screening checkpoint, and then proceed through Downtown Disney to reach the main entrance. You can also opt to board the Disneyland Monorail at this point.

The old walkway between the Mickey and Friends parking structure and Downtown Disney is now closed, and has been blocked off by several gates and fences. It will not reopen, and in fact is already partly blocked by demolition work on the House of Blues.

Downtown Disney and Disneyland Hotel security checkpoints

A second checkpoint has been constructed in the Downtown Disney parking valet loop, adjacent to the ESPN Zone restaurant and the Rainforest Cafe. This will primarily screen visitors who park in the Downtown Disney parking lot, and potentially those walking in from the Mickey and Friends parking structure. There are 4 tents in this grouping, each with two tables and a metal detector.

The third checkpoint is built on the other side of the ESPN Zone, and will screen visitors entering the Downtown Disney area from the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel, as well as those who park in the Simba parking lot.

What we know:

These checkpoints will be operational as early as 5:00 a.m. most days, which is when the Downtown Disney Starbucks locations open.

This is now the designated entrance for guests staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel. Those guests will no longer be allowed to cut through the Grand Californian Hotel to get to DCA or Downtown Disney.

What we (still) don't know (because I forgot to ask amid all of the other questions):

If these checkpoints are to be staffed 24-hours-a-day, or if the checkpoints will be "closed" between 2:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. when Downtown Disney is technically closed. This may sound like a silly question, but some of our readers are avid runners, and like to jog through Downtown Disney during their early-morning runs. If the new security zone will be closed for some period of the day, they'll want to alter their route.

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel - Main Entrance

The biggest rumors spreading online have been in regards to changes at the Grand Californian Hotel. I'm happy to report that most of them are not true, and the Grand Californian Hotel is NOT being "locked down" to hotel guests only. However, access to the hotel via the front entrance is limited to hotel guests. You'll still be able to visit the hotel and have a drink at the Hearthstone Lounge, but you may have to take the long way around if you aren't a registered guest of the hotel.

What we know:

On Thursday morning, cast members from security, the Paradise Pier Hotel and the Grand Californian Hotel were stationed at the intersection between the PPH and GCH to approach pedestrians heading towards the Grand Californian, and "help them" with directions. Those folks who were NOT guests of or checking into the GCH, (remember that the self-parking lot is across the same intersection), but were trying to cut through the hotel to get to Disneyland, were redirected to the new walkway through Downtown Disney.

This very much annoyed some guests staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel, who up until the prior day had been able to access Disneyland and DCA via the Grand Californian. I heard a few people arguing with the CMs tasked with turning them away - perhaps why there was security stationed along with the front-line CMs.

People who park in the Simba parking lot, and those staying at hotels near the Katella / Disneyland Drive (Best Western Stovalls and the Anabella come to mind) will no longer be able to use the GCH shortcut.

However, I asked specifically about going into the Grand Californian Hotel to have breakfast at Whitewater Snacks, and was told that was no problem. The next rank of CMs let me by with no question when I provided that as my destination. That may change in the future, but for now that is the operational practice. And once I was inside the hotel and made my purchase at Whitewater Snacks, I was able to exit into Downtown Disney with no problem. However, I DO NOT recommend or advise that you lie about your destination to gain access to the hotel for the purpose of just cutting through to Downtown Disney, because you will 1) ruin it for people who legitimately DO HAVE DINING PLANS and 2) will bring bad karma and negative juju upon you and your house for the coming year. You want another year like 2016? Like about going to Whitewater snacks...

Grand Californian Hotel – Disney California Adventure Gate security checkpoint

There is already a security checkpoint at this gate, used to screen guests entering Disney California Adventure. There is no change to the size or operation of this gate.

What we know:

Starting Thursday, access to the Grand Californian Hotel via the DCA gate will be limited to registered guests staying at the hotel, convention guests, Club 33 members, and other VIPs. Just as you have to show a room key to use that gate to enter DCA, you'll have to show a room key to use that gate to return to the hotel. This turned out not to be the case, at least not as of Monday. Security CMs said the policy is still "in flux," and may change over the coming week, but for now there is restriction on who can exit DCA via the Grand Californian gate.

According to signs still in place near this gate, access to Disney California Adventure through this gate is still reserved for "Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests." According to cast members, the current policy is that this includes guests of the Paradise Pier Hotel and the Disneyland Hotel. However, those guests would need to enter the Paradise Pier Hotel via the Downtown Disney gate; they can not enter the GCH via the front / Disneyland Drive entrance.

At least on Thursday, cast members were allowing everyone to enter DCA via the Grand gate after 11:00 a.m., which is consistent with prior operational practice. Again, this may change, but for now it's business as usual.

What we don't know:

If this policy will change / become more restrictive to only allow DCA entrance to GCH guests. One CM has posted online photos of signs that refer to Grand Californian Hotel guests ONLY. The fact that the signs exist does not mean they will be used, or that they were made recently, or that they were made for this purpose.

Grand Californian Hotel - Downtown Disney security checkpoint

A new checkpoint was in the breezeway that connects the Grand Californian Hotel to Downtown Disney. This checkpoint will screen visitors as they leave the Grand Californian Hotel and before they enter Downtown Disney. There are two tables and two metal detectors.

Visitors already in Downtown Disney are already in the "secure" zone, and will not need to be screened if they enter the Grand Californian Hotel, but would need to be re-screened upon return to Downtown Disney.

This means visitors in Downtown Disney are still free to enter the Grand Californian to eat at Whitewater Snacks, drink at the Hearthstone Lounge, shop at Acorn's Gifts, or admire the gingerbread hotel display.

What we know:

While you can still enter the Grand Californian Hotel, you can't cut through the hotel to enter DCA - that entrance is reserved for Disneyland Resort hotel guests only.

What we don't know:

See above

Harbor Blvd / Toy Story Parking Lot / East Esplanade security checkpoint

Thank you to a reader for asking this question via Twitter. There is no change to the security setup for people entering the Disneyland Resort from the east, either walking in via the Harbor Blvd. gateway, arriving via ART or hotel shuttle, or who park in the Toy Story parking lot and arrive via bus. The security checkpoint that was already in place on the east side of the esplanade is still in place, and operating as before.

What we (still) don't know:

If there will be any change to the operating hours of this checkpoint now that the "bubble" has been expanded to include Downtown Disney.

Answers to other questions you may not have asked, but we did:

New! What about rental strollers / wheelchairs and EVCs?

Officially, strollers rented from the Disneyland Resort are for use in the two theme parks only. You may use them in either Disneyland or Disney California Adventure, and may hop with them between parks, but you may not take them into Downtown Disney.

The reality is that there's no longer any barrier to prevent people from taking strollers, wheelchairs or ECVs into Downtown Disney. While Disney can discourage it all they want, it's going to be REALLY hard to enforce.

What about [insert random prohibited item here]?

By moving the security checkpoints several hundred yards to the west, Disneyland incorporated two dozen stores – and their merchandise – into the security zone. Many of those stores sell items that are on Disney's list of Prohibited Items (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/), including remote-control cars (Ridemakerz), glass bottles (Sephora), wheeled luggage (World of Disney), and more.

These policies have always been somewhat arbitrary to me - why can't I bring in the Ridemakerz toy I bought in Downtown Disney into Disneyland, when I can buy a remote-control car in Toontown? Why can't I carry in a bottle of perfume purchased from Sephora when I can buy the same bottle in New Orleans Square? Why can't I bring in that R2-D2 suitcase from the World of Disney, when its twin is on display in Tomorrowland?

It seems that Disney is going to focus more on people behaving badly with such things, and less on them having them in the first place. So if you buy the $400 laser hair removal tool from Sephora, please leave it in the box instead of using it to beat the high score on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.

Can I still bring wine to my fancy dinner at [Catal / Naples / Napa Rose]?

If you were planning to BYOB to a dinner reservation, you'll need to contact the restaurant for assistance. There will have to be some new measures in place for winemaker dinners and brewery events and anything where patrons leave an event with bottles of alcohol, as with the recent Taste of Downtown Disney fundraiser for CHOC.

We're having a birthday party at Build-a-Bear, can we still bring cake and presents?

Again, if you have a special event booked at a restaurant or venue inside Downtown Disney, you'll want to speak directly with their management for assistance with special requests. However, and this is big with Christmas around the corner, be prepared that you can not bring WRAPPED GIFTS into the security area. Gifts have to be in bags, and packed in such a way that the screener can examine the contents. Be prepared, and save the fancy tissue paper work for after you get through the checkpoint.

Do you have more questions? Post them here, and I'll see what I can find out tomorrow when this all goes into effect.

Adrienne

olegc
12-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the great detailed overview of all scenarios. I wanted to point out something though. You said in the what we know section of DtD and Disneyland hotel that Paradise Pier guests will have to use the ESPN zone entrance to get into DtD and could not use GCH to get into DtD. Yet, in the GCH section it's mentioned that the hotel will not be locked down and a screening area will be in the breezeway. I would think that this means guests from Paradise Pier can cut through GCH to get to the DtD breezeway and get screened. All other options and controls would remain the same.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AVP
12-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the great detailed overview of all scenarios. I wanted to point out something though. You said in the what we know section of DtD and Disneyland hotel that Paradise Pier guests will have to use the ESPN zone entrance to get into DtD and could not use GCH to get into DtD. Yet, in the GCH section it's mentioned that the hotel will not be locked down and a screening area will be in the breezeway. I would think that this means guests from Paradise Pier can cut through GCH to get to the DtD breezeway and get screened. All other options and controls would remain the same.

Sent from my XT1254 using TapatalkI may have been editing when you replied. The main entrance to the GCH will be reserved for hotel guests only - people staying at the PPH can no longer cut through the GCH to get into Downtown Disney through the breezeway. They have to walk around back of Downtown Disney and enter at the ESPN gate.

olegc
12-14-2016, 10:23 PM
I may have been editing when you replied. The main entrance to the GCH will be reserved for hotel guests only - people staying at the PPH can no longer cut through the GCH to get into Downtown Disney through the breezeway. They have to walk around back of Downtown Disney and enter at the ESPN gate.
Ok - so a casual person walking from the other hotels down the street will have to continue on as well? Unless u have a reservation for a meal at one of the restaurants? Or will those people have to go around too ( and will they have to have names at the drive up and walk up gates?) Seema like this would discourage people coming to GCH to hang. Yes, u can do it from DtD but that's almost twice the distance.

AVP
12-14-2016, 10:44 PM
Seema like this would discourage people coming to GCH to hang. Yes, u can do it from DtD but that's almost twice the distance.Pretty sure that's the point, actually. Have you been in there on a random weekend? The lobby is Grand Central Station some days. I think they're actively trying to cut down the traffic and make it more exclusive again.

AVP

olegc
12-14-2016, 10:45 PM
Pretty sure that's the point, actually. Have you been in there on a random weekend? The lobby is Grand Central Station some days. I think they're actively trying to cut down the traffic and make it more exclusive again.

AVP
So the security angle is all a ploy to make it exclusive. Hmmm. :-P

AVP
12-14-2016, 10:47 PM
So the security angle is all a ploy to make it exclusive. Hmmm. :-P
No, but while they're putting up gates, might as well build tall ones...

olegc
12-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Um - that's what the tongue wagging emoji was for. I knew it wasn't the real reason.

tea4two
12-14-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm curious about this, too. When we dine at NR, we usually enter the GCH via the DCA entrance or through the DtD breezeway. It sounds like we could still enter the hotel from DtD, since we'll already have gone through security. But if we are in DCA and want to get to NR, we would have to exit to the esplanade and go the long way through DtD to the breezeway now?

AVP
12-14-2016, 10:59 PM
But if we are in DCA and want to get to NR, we would have to exit to the esplanade and go the long way through DtD to the breezeway now?That's what it sounds like. I'll double check tomorrow, but the info I got today was that yes, you would.

AVP

ttig34
12-15-2016, 07:31 AM
I am curious how Magic Morning entry will work for GCH guests. Say the park opens at 7 for MM, and I get to the GCH security to downtown disney say at 615. Will I be held at GCH Downtown Disney security until like 645 and then head to the turnstiles, or willwe go thru security at 615 but then they still hold us back from heading to the gates at the downtown disney old security checkpoint, or do we get to go directly to the turnstiles at 615? If anybody knows how this now works, would appreciate the info.

Niwel
12-15-2016, 09:24 AM
One more question: Stroller and wheelchair rentals.
You previously couldn't take it past security -- now that the bubble expanded, can you take a rented stroller or wheelchair throughout DTD?

And will that mean they might add an additional wheelchair or stroller rental closer to ESPN zone?

MagicBeliever
12-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Thank you so much. This is hugely helpful.

I am curious how Magic Morning entry will work for GCH guests. Say the park opens at 7 for MM, and I get to the GCH security to downtown disney say at 615. Will I be held at GCH Downtown Disney security until like 645 and then head to the turnstiles, or willwe go thru security at 615 but then they still hold us back from heading to the gates at the downtown disney old security checkpoint, or do we get to go directly to the turnstiles at 615? If anybody knows how this now works, would appreciate the info.

I also have this same question.

We are DLH guests and will be arriving Saturday. I am super curious as to a final answer on whether "hotel guests" means all DL hotels or just GCH. We and most PPH guests I know have always used the DCA entrance gate in GCH. I remember a time when we had to show our DLH room key, but we have never been GCH guests and I wasn't aware they had ever locked it down to that hotel only.

disneyland addict13
12-15-2016, 12:20 PM

I doubt they would hold you in the breezeway until 645, because they want you inside DtD making purchases at Starbucks, Jamba Juice, etc. before you head into the park. I can't comment on the second half of your question, but I too am interested to see what kind of gateway (if any) will be in place at the old screening area by La Brea.

AVP
12-15-2016, 04:59 PM
I am curious how Magic Morning entry will work for GCH guests. Say the park opens at 7 for MM, and I get to the GCH security to downtown disney say at 615. Will I be held at GCH Downtown Disney security until like 645 and then head to the turnstiles, or willwe go thru security at 615 but then they still hold us back from heading to the gates at the downtown disney old security checkpoint, or do we get to go directly to the turnstiles at 615? If anybody knows how this now works, would appreciate the info.I'm guessing it will all open at the same time, but I don't know what time that is. I expect 5:00 a.m., same as the Downtown Disney gate.

I too am interested to see what kind of gateway (if any) will be in place at the old screening area by La Brea.NONE WHATSOEVER. It was sort of amazing to see the wide-open esplanade again after a year.

ttig34
12-15-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm guessing it will all open at the same time, but I don't know what time that is. I expect 5:00 a.m., same as the Downtown Disney gate.

NONE WHATSOEVER. It was sort of amazing to see the wide-open esplanade again after a year.

5 am would make sense, since that is when places like Starbucks open.

daw623
12-15-2016, 05:43 PM
It's interesting that Disney actually says one of the advantages of staying at a Disney hotel is being able to enter DCA or DtD via the Grand Californian. And for me that is a big advantage for staying at Paradise Pier. Having to now back track to enter DtD by DLH adds probably at least 10 minutes to the walk. I'll definitely need to weigh the pros and cons of staying there for my next visit.

MagicBeliever
12-15-2016, 06:02 PM
I'm guessing it will all open at the same time, but I don't know what time that is. I expect 5:00 a.m., same as the Downtown Disney gate.

NONE WHATSOEVER. It was sort of amazing to see the wide-open esplanade again after a year.

I wonder if this means the east side checkpoints will also open at 5:00?

Dave1313
12-16-2016, 04:54 AM
I've only eaten at a GC restaurant on one visit, but when I did, I used the DCA entrance to get to my reservation and also to return to the park after my meal.

If they are not going to allow people with dining reservations to use that checkpoint, that's a good way to get me to not bother trying to check out the other restaurants on future visits (not that I think they will suffer one bit, they will still do fine). Leaving DCA through the front entrance to walk around (and then in reverse when done) seems a bit ridiculous.

The new M&F routine for walking may longer and less convenient, but I'm sure I'll adapt to that OK.

chahn
12-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Any idea on whether mixed parties will have to split up at the GCH entrances? When we are visiting in January my SIL & her husband are staying at the GCH but we are staying at the Hojo. I could easily see us wanting to go with them to their room for a break but if we had to split and take the longer path around it might not be as appealing.

Malcon10t
12-16-2016, 07:55 AM
It's interesting that Disney actually says one of the advantages of staying at a Disney hotel is being able to enter DCA or DtD via the Grand Californian. And for me that is a big advantage for staying at Paradise Pier. Having to now back track to enter DtD by DLH adds probably at least 10 minutes to the walk. I'll definitely need to weigh the pros and cons of staying there for my next visit.This has been removed from the website as of yesterday morning.

currence
12-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Having to walk through DTD doesn't bother me from the DL hotel - it's always been a pleasant stroll. But Paradise Pier is surrounded by parking lot. I was disappointed (but understood) why they took away their entrance from Paradise Pier, and now that the DVCs are in that space they almost certainly aren't getting that entrance re-opened.

As a Mouseadventure player, I don't mind walking through the back-way. But if I was a hotel guest who is used to cutting through DCA, I would not be pleased by these changes - especially if my room was booked when that perquisite was listed on their website.

Toocherie
12-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Yup--I would be having a discussion with Disney for sure if this was the case.

soccerlady16
12-16-2016, 11:46 AM
One more question: Stroller and wheelchair rentals.
You previously couldn't take it past security -- now that the bubble expanded, can you take a rented stroller or wheelchair throughout DTD?

And will that mean they might add an additional wheelchair or stroller rental closer to ESPN zone?

Yes, curious about this as well. How was it handled before the checkpoints, many many moons ago? Were the strollers/wheelchairs checked in/out inside the parks instead of outside the gate? Back then I didnt have a use for a stroller, so I didnt pay attention.

Berry Princess
12-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Yes, curious about this as well. How was it handled before the checkpoints, many many moons ago? Were the strollers/wheelchairs checked in/out inside the parks instead of outside the gate? Back then I didnt have a use for a stroller, so I didnt pay attention.

Which then comes down to those same people trying to use them in the shops and restaurants in DTD or leaving these things in front of stores with things still in their strollers/wheelchairs that could be stolen because they are feeling they are still in this Disney "bubble" so it shouldn't be an issue. This is something they will really have to figure out now before it ends up a problem.
BTW, it used to be inside the parks where you would get your strollers/wheelchairs. It wasn't the set it up it is now. This set up came later on and I want to say after the checkpoints were up. My oldest is 18 now so I remember exactly how it used to be. LOL We had got to a point with each of our kids were we stopped dragging our stroller with us and just rent one. It was easier when it came to the tram. That was only when they were about 3 yrs old we would start doing that. Most the time we wouldn't get one either to start with once they hit about 3-4 yrs but would see if they asked for one. If they did we would get one during the day. Great way to see when they were done with strollers. LOL