PDA

View Full Version : Fastpasses & Single Rider Passes

stitchhead
12-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Many pass holders at any Disney theme park is familiar with the Fastpass and single rider system. Though they both seem like good ideas, i have had some negative feelings about these systems from tourists. Once I was using a fastpass for Indiana Jones, halfway up the ramp one of the tourists started to cuss out a group of fastpass holders and accused the cast members of racism just because they werent aware of the system. Almost the same thing happened on Big Thunder Mountain a while back ago when a family started arguing with a cast member because they saw the fastpass holders going to the front of the line. Besides the fastpass, the single rider pass (i use more often) is also a time saver, but basically the same negative reactions from tourists. On Tuesday the last time I went to Disneyland, i was using in line with other single riders for Splash Mountain, then a man standing in the regular line started to cuss us out (let me remind you, that day the wait for Splash Mountain was over 2 hours) for using the single rider pass. I know a lot of us use it, and it does save us a LOT of time. So are the Fastpasses and single rider passes a bad idea based upon separation, or are the tourists just full of hot air?:confused:

DL4EVER
12-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Okay, check this out. I am one of those tourists, all the way out in Oklahoma. So I only get to visit every now and then, and I just got back from a trip between the 26th and 30th, when it was PACKED. Because of Fastpass and Single Rider Pass, the longest we waited for anything was 30 minutes, and that was the Matterhorn. My mom and myself LOVE Fastpass and Single Rider Pass, so there is some input from those "once-in-a-blue-moon" visitors that Fastpass bashers always use as examples of saying how the average regular visitor isn't "aware" of these things.

Fastpass was being regularly used by guests, and so was Single Rider Pass while we were there. We had the Unlimited Fastpass, because we booked with Walt Disney Travel Company. For example of how well Single Rider Pass was utilized, on Sunday, the SR line for Splash went all the way up and over the bridge, and down the other side. It was a really long line. Just some input.

sediment
12-31-2003, 02:49 PM
B. Tourists just full of hot air, frustrated that their two-hour wait is caused by some "cheaters" using a legitimate system.

Single line is great for capacity. Otherwise, a single rider is put into a log by himself, and other logs will have empty seats.

We've been over FastPass too many times to complain about it. Whole articles on MiceAge have been written. Yes, it does benefit the frequent guest and the frequent reader of disney-related sites, to the detriment of what are mostly clueless, but (more importantly) FULL-PAYING GUESTS! Why **** off the full-paying guest by having a system that "discriminates" against their specific lack of knowledge of said system? Personally, I'd rather have the full-paying guest have the FastPass privilege, while AP holders would have to pay for it on a daily basis (say, $10). But that's just me (and a number of others) who has no control over the Parks.

Darkbeer
12-31-2003, 02:51 PM
Single rider is a win-win, heck with 5 seater logs, many logs would go out less than full without the single rider line. The CM always loads from the main queue first, trying to match up 3's and 2's, but can't always get 5... so when they have a set of 4, a single rider is placed in a seat that otherwise would be empty.... This increases the rides capacity, and actually makes the regular line SHORTER.... also makes more FastPasses available to others.....

Anyone can use the Single Rider line, groups can use it, IF they are willing to split up during the actual ride, they can stand in the line together, but once they are getting ready to board, they have to ride in different cars.. that is the price you pay to save the wait... no discrimination here!

No, the FastPass issue, is it fair.. NO!!! Knowledge, and money can get you more FastPasses......

Right now, here are the different levels of FastPass users...

1. Cheaters - there are ways (and don't bother asking, as I am not telling!) These folks get the most FastPasses...

2. The Enhanced FastPass users - in 2004, these are limited to those who buy a Hotel/Admission package from AAA travel, and stay at one of the three Disney owned hotels... This is where if you pay more money, you get more FastPasses.

3. The knowledgeable - the ones who have read my FastPass information and understand that some rides are "stand alone", and therefore can get more than one FastPass at a time...

4. The Basic user - the ones who have read the Disney information (they are listed in the Guide to the Magic), and think they can only get one FastPass at a time...

5. The Clueless - these are folks who don't even know about the system, even with all the signage, and the opportunity to ask CM's "what is a FastPass?" after seeing the signage...

So does evey guest get treated equally... NO! But should the guy in line be screaming at you... also, NO!!!!

sediment
12-31-2003, 02:52 PM
DL4, you might not be typical. Good for you for knowing about it.
Heck, some of these day-visitors live in SoCal, and go once every blue moon as well.

The Mouse Is Back
12-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by sediment
Personally, I'd rather have the full-paying guest have the FastPass privilege, while AP holders would have to pay for it on a daily basis (say, $10). But that's just me (and a number of others) who has no control over the Parks.

How is FastPass a "privilege" when it's available to anyone who chooses to use it? And how would charging a fee to APs solve the problem?

The same people would be cussing as are cussing now.

-Allegra-

sediment
01-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Same amount of people, but most definitely not the same people.
DLR needs more revenue. It's a good place to start.

The Mouse Is Back
01-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by sediment
DLR needs more revenue. It's a good place to start.

If they need more revenue, it's because of mismanagement of the revenue they did have. DCA comes to mind.

DLR depends on AP attendance during the slower times of the year. Charging the APs for FP during crowded times would not exactly encourage them to spend their money there on other things, like overpriced food and souvenirs.

JMO, as an AP who spends $$$ each time we go to DL.

-Allegra-

Disneyphile
01-02-2004, 12:13 PM
I think Single Rider lines are a great way to fill empty seats.

Now, this may sound mean, but regarding Fastpass, I think if someone is upset over not figuring out the system, then they should read their guidebook or ask a CM instead of swearing at people who have it figured out. I once told a guest who swore at me to "figure it out and try actually reading that handy map in their back pocket".

I'm not all that mean, however, because if someone asks me how I got the Fastpass, I'll actually take the time out to tell them, and sometimes even show them how to do it. To me, those people are the smart ones for asking. :D

cstephens
01-02-2004, 12:52 PM
I think Fastpass is fairly well advertised in the guidebook and in the spiel on the tram as well as at the attractions themselves, so it's definitely no secret. If I saw a sign for Fastpass return and didn't know what it was, I would surely ask.

Single rider, though, I don't think is advertised anywhere really, so it's one of those things you have to know about. It would be nice if they had that information on the guide maps as well.

sediment
01-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by The Mouse Is Back
DLR depends on AP attendance during the slower times of the year. Charging the APs for FP during crowded times would not exactly encourage them to spend their money there on other things, like overpriced food and souvenirs.

Yeah, like maybe they won't show up during busy times. There's an idea.
Charging for an essentially cost-free service (all the construction is pretty much done) seems to me like a better markup than food and souvenirs. If it's not so valuable, then (in a perfect world) the cost will be changed to reflect its value.
I'm thinking about $10 per day. That's not so bad. On less crowded days, one could choose not to buy it, and instead buy discounted food and souvenirs.

sediment
01-02-2004, 01:19 PM
There are a lot of stupid people out there, combined with the "Leave Brain at the Gate" crowd. Some of them are very loud in displaying their stupidity. This might be enjoyable to some of us other guests, but for CMs it could become a threatening situation.

TheatreTech
01-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
I think Single Rider lines are a great way to fill empty seats.

I'm not all that mean, however, because if someone asks me how I got the Fastpass, I'll actually take the time out to tell them, and sometimes even show them how to do it. To me, those people are the smart ones for asking. :D

I agree. And I'm glad to fill the empty seats.:)
I also try to explain it to people who ask. Snaps to you for helping.;)

Although, every once and a while (especially one Indy) a friend and I will do single rider and end up sitting on the same car. (even sometimes next to each other) Then I always feel bad.:( (But, if the CM can't find a group of 2 on the stairway, gotta fill the seats.:) )

Loric
01-02-2004, 01:58 PM
People will always be clueless - but Disney will try their hardest to make life easier for them.

At WDW, almost everyone has an inkling of what Fast Pass is because Disney has reached the saturation point in providing the information. A good chunk of the people in a WDW park on a given day are from Disney resorts.

Those people check in, are given a brochure about fast pass, then goto their room, and I'd estimate most if not all atleast watch a few minutes of Disney's special "resort TV" channels. Each one plays a Fast Pass informational segment every few minutes. Add to this the park maps, and the whole more complex and "needs to be researched" feel a WDW vacation has compared to one at Disneyland and you have the making of a big schism in the general knowledge of the comsumers between the two areas.

DL4EVER
01-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Not every AP'er gets to go daily or even monthly. There are some people who buy AP's and only make 2-3 visits during that AP period. It would be unfair to have that happen, because it isn't some sort of secret information only given to AP holders. It's given to everyone. The AP Holder's are paying for their visits, just like everyone else(not necessarily as much as everyone else), but regardless, certain tickets should have Fastpass restricted and/or be a service you have to pay for.

Not to mention, Disney would simply not be able to get away with it, because it would have to be a worldwide thing or it would cause just that much more of an uproar

ModHatter
01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
You know, when I was at WDW, I benefitted from being smart enough to raise two fingers when a CM asked for a party of 2. I had to bop a few small children on the head who refused to move out of the way, but I ended up with the perfect seat on the Movie ride.

In a perfect world, this is how the Single Rider program would work. You would still have to wait in the regular line, but you might get bumped up ahead of a few larger groups. But in the real world, the loaders are not going to be able to cull single riders from the main line every time there's an open seat. So Single Rider is the best functional system under the circumstances.

As for FastPass... I think the system needs to get revamped a bit. If your return window is between 4 and 5, you can't show up at 6 and use your pass. That's an abuse of the system and should be put to a halt. But by the same token, if you have the 4-5 Fastpass, you should be able to get any other Fastpass so long as it doesn't overlap.

Frankly, I'm a little worried that our Peter Pan, to my knowledge, does not have FP yet. That area is so congested. If you could get an FP for Peter Pan (and Alice, for that matter) ridership would go up for Snow White and Pinocchio. If nothing else, that area might not be such a mess.

It's a good program that should be expanded. If park visitors underutilize it, I don't feel bad for them at all.

The Mouse Is Back
01-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ModHatter
Frankly, I'm a little worried that our Peter Pan, to my knowledge, does not have FP yet. That area is so congested. If you could get an FP for Peter Pan (and Alice, for that matter) ridership would go up for Snow White and Pinocchio. If nothing else, that area might not be such a mess.

It's a good program that should be expanded. If park visitors underutilize it, I don't feel bad for them at all.

So true about Peter Pan! Even on the slowest day, the line for that one is usually lonnnnnnng. Dumbo, too. I was just wondering tonight actually, when we walked by the twisty-turny line at PP, "why the heck don't they have FastPass for that one?"

Back to the argument about charging APs or restricting access to FP...I wonder how many guests on any given day, including crowded days, are actually even paying "full price", i.e., single ticket for single day. What about FP for multi-day passes? Those passes are not full price either. What about hotel guests with packages that include tickets? Are we SURE they're paying full price for each single day? What about the SoCal Resident Salute? Those are discounted tickets, should there be restrictions on FP?

Ridiculous.

Morrigoon
01-03-2004, 12:33 AM
The price is wrong, Bob.

Here's the problem. After teenagers, the group of people who pose the biggest danger to themselves and others, and who display the biggest lack of intelligence are parents of small children (with certain exceptions, of course Adrienne ;)). These are the people who have enough on their hands without trying to figure out a computer system and then try to explain to little Johnny why he can't go on Peter Pan RIGHT NOW like he wants to. The parents who do figure it out will only add to the frustration of the parents who haven't, or who, because Johnny is having fits, have to stand in line right now anyway.

Angry parents buy fewer toys.

adriennek
01-03-2004, 09:03 AM
I think that no matter what, there will be people who will be rude and don't "get it". And I think they just need to get over it. If I were a tourist watching people pass me by, I think I'd stop and ASK someone what was going on so I could get in on the action.

If you want fair, go to Pomona.

I think there might be arguments against these systems but ignorant, rude tourists aren't, imo, legitimate arguments. You're going to have those anyway.

Adrienne

cryan71
01-03-2004, 09:14 AM
I usually laugh and roll my eyes at those people who try to chew fastpassers and single riders while shaking my head saying "tourists!"

SacTown Chronic
01-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer

No, the FastPass issue, is it fair.. NO!!! Knowledge, and money can get you more FastPasses......

I disagree when people say it's unfair.

Knowledge and money can get you a bigger hotel room with a better view, a better seat for Fantasmic, a better dinner, better souviners, a better rental car, a better vacation. That's how it is. Why should FastPass be different? All the FastPass benefits are available to everybody. Like everything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

Spending a little more for enhanced FastPass is similar to spending more money for extra E-tickets back when that program was in effect. I STILL hear people pining for the old E-ticket system. One big difference is you can do a little (free) research and maximze your usage of the standard price FastPass benefits.