PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Cast Member

DisNey DuDe 87
12-31-2003, 01:41 PM
One of the main reasons I would choose to attend UC Irvine is because supposedly it is less than 25 minutes from DL. This way I could live my lifelong dream of becoming a cast member while going to college.

But my question is how hard is it to become a CM? because I would imagine the jobs at DL would be in such high demand because.. well who wouldn't want to work @ disney! I wouldnt really be working for money so much, I have just always dreamed of operating the attractions or dancing in the parades ever since I was a child, just to be there everyday and im sure im not alone.

Since I live in Northern CA...Going to college in southern california is the only way im going to be able to do this. So what do you think? Do alot of people work during undergrad college and are able to keep at least a 3.0 ?

Are there things you can do for the hiring dept. to make them really see how much you want to be a cast member because I could express it in a multiple page essay or an interpretive dance because I truely do love Disney.:)

innerSpaceman
12-31-2003, 01:49 PM
I hear interpretive dance works wonders.

Actually, I think just not being a total clod and absolutely willing to work sporadic and insufficient hours for pittance payment is all it takes nowadays (with the non-clod requirement being more like guidelines than actual rules).

Matterhorn Fan
12-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by DisNey DuDe 87
Do alot of people work during undergrad college and are able to keep at least a 3.0 ? It doesn't matter what a lot of other people are able to do. That all depends upon the student. Some students can work 40 hours a week, take 12 units, and earn a 3.0 or higher. Many cannot.

So the better question is: What with all your interpretive dancing classes and full-time student-ship, would you still have time to not be a total clod and be absolutely willing to work sporadic and insufficient hours for pittance payment?

Wishful
12-31-2003, 02:15 PM
A year ago this week I interviewed at DL and was hired the same day. I think a lot of people have posted here and other websites about the interview/hiring experience so you'll have a lot of information to look at. I really didn't care what department I worked in because it would have been that "dream" opportunity, I would learn a lot if I were in housekeeping or in customer service, so I was very flexible, except I did not want to handle cash.

It was a group style interview with myself and three other women. We were all asked generic questions (why do you want to work here, what do you do now, best and worse work experience, etc.) for about 15-20 minutes and then we were all each interviewed separately. I think you have to show the interviewer you can listen, pay attention, have a good attitude -traits they tell you in all the interview guides. You know, nod and listen to the other interviews when they speak, look at them when you respond, smile, etc. I found the process to be very low stress - possibly because it was a job I wanted and also because I knew I had a job already and I was not betting my mortgage or car note on the CM position.

My problem was that I have a full-time job in Hollywood and I really wanted to have the experience at working at DL, but only part-time. I had no problem committing to a part-time job paying less than half of what I make now, but I could not be flexible with my hours other than being able to work any and all weekends and holidays, after 7pm on Fridays and from 7pm-midnight the rest of the week. I thought/hoped that would be enough but it wasn't. I know a few CMs who work a part-time schedule, one gal works about 12 hours a week, two six hour days, but she does parades and Fantasmic! positions that were not open when I applied, plus she has worked there for about 5 years so may have had seniority.

When you fill out your application they ask you to indicate your hours available. The more hours you leave open, the better your chance at getting an interview (I was told this by a CM in HR, not the receptionist though). During the 1:1 interview they go over the schedule you submitted and make changes and adjustments there. I was hired in the Costume Department and was pretty excited about it as it fit my available hours pretty well. I was also open to working at the Circle D, but not in any position that involved cash handling (I was a bank teller and cashier for years, I will never do that again due to having been robbed once and just the general stress levels). I was hired, signed some papers, given the new hire packet and told to report for orientation. The next day I was called by HR and told my position was no longer available, but that there were jobs in Transportation that fit my schedule, but I would have to be willing to be a parking kiosk cashier. Although grateful for the option, I had to decline.

I'd apply again, but unless I was lucky enough to apply when a position that fit my hours was available, I probably would not be hired.

Good luck to you!

sediment
12-31-2003, 02:29 PM
In no way an expert, but I do read a lot:
1. For the most part, Seasonal staff gets hired for permanent gigs. So, you might have to start as a seasonal hire. This might mean working the summer before you go to school, finding a place to live, etc. Perhaps the school would have available residence, but you might have to take a summer course or two.
It might also mean having to wait until Xmas season, which would mean staying in SoCal over the holidays.
2. If you have a special skill, then #1 does not apply. You'd be hired if there were a need for your skills (and if you were the best available).
3. Another thought (from what I saw on TV): Cedar Point (in Ohio)hires for the summer, and provides room and board. Seems like a lot of fun, but it might have been a biased documentary. If you have a special skill, and were hired at CP, then you would have amusement park experience. Maybe it would be helpful (maybe not).

Loric
12-31-2003, 02:53 PM
Do they still hire on the 4 guidelines?

CAST stands for something...

A is Appearance - I got 5 out of 4 stars, and that's all I remember.

S is Schedule - Are you willing to work the hours?

T is Transportation - Got a car? Is it reliable?

C is something.. I don't recall what, I want to say Character, but I'm uncertain.

DisNey DuDe 87
12-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies.

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/college/disneyland/undergrad.html

I just stumbled upon this, its a summer internship type program at DL, and they provide with you with a place to stay so I dont even have to go to school in socal to do this. Has anyone done this?

Loric
12-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies.

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/college/disneyland/undergrad.html

I just stumbled upon this, its a summer internship type program at DL, and they provide with you with a place to stay so I dont even have to go to school in socal to do this. Has anyone done this?

The College Program! Essentially you get paid in theme park tickets..

Quoth a coordinator/trainer in my area last New Years Eve... "Why am I working today? They've got plenty of slave-labor (CP's) and yet they have the day off and i'm here!"

Niwel
12-31-2003, 04:48 PM
And you can always check out our Cast Place (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/) for more interview stories and tips on being a CM.
Good luck! :)

PineapplePrincess
12-31-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by sediment

3. Another thought (from what I saw on TV): Cedar Point (in Ohio)hires for the summer, and provides room and board. Seems like a lot of fun, but it might have been a biased documentary. If you have a special skill, and were hired at CP, then you would have amusement park experience. Maybe it would be helpful (maybe not).

I worked one summer there, and my husband worked 2. It is a total blast! PM me if you want more details. Sorry to be off topic.

Morrigoon
12-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Smile
Don't be timid

DisNey DuDe 87
12-31-2003, 09:30 PM
Also, is it okay to not have any "real paid work" experience, I have hundreds of hours of volunteer work and community service experience though?

Also, are most CM's full time workers, or are alot students, or also working another job?

Loric
01-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Also, is it okay to not have any "real paid work" experience, I have hundreds of hours of volunteer work and community service experience though?

Also, are most CM's full time workers, or are alot students, or also working another job?

Most CMs are part-time (Casual Regular) or full time. Some are seasonal (casual-temporary) but those positions are commonly held by those who already worked as a CR or full time but now have other jobs.

You seem to really want this job, and that's what's going to matter. Disney loves people who want to be there.

What area do you want to go into? You're best off knowing that ahead of time, so that you dont end up somewhere because you take anything they throw at you. Often time, the more specific you are, the happier they are, and they can literally look a computer system and see if there a position in that location.

I assume you want some part of the "park experience." Typically, that means Operations or Entertainment.

A warning: I don't think any of the jobs are quite what you're expecting. Is there a specific postion you're interested in so that perhaps we could give you some insight?

I'd love to steer you toward my own "alma matter" in attractions, but I'm sure everyone has their own stories for what they loved about their role. So, what do you want to do?

danyoung
01-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Are there things you can do for the hiring dept. to make them really see how much you want to be a cast member because I could express it in a multiple page essay or an interpretive dance because I truely do love Disney.:)

While I admire your enthusiasm, I implore you, please PLEASE do NOT break into an interpretive dance! I'm guessing that you've honed your skills in this area, but this is absolutely not what the hiring folks are looking for at this level (unless you're interviewing for a performing job in a show or parade, which is a different thing!). I'd guess, even tho I've never been thru the process, that it's possible to out-geek your self out of a job. I mean, I could go in there and quote inside information, hidden Mickey locations, and countless little known tips to show my zeal, and talk myself out of being hired. They're not looking for Disney maniacs - they're looking for someone who can load people on to a ride, or be calm when controlling a large crowd. Just be energetic, flexible and willing to work hard. That's what they're looking for.

DisNey DuDe 87
01-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Loric
What area do you want to go into? You're best off knowing that ahead of time, so that you dont end up somewhere because you take anything they throw at you. Often time, the more specific you are, the happier they are, and they can literally look a computer system and see if there a position in that location.

I assume you want some part of the "park experience." Typically, that means Operations or Entertainment.

A warning: I don't think any of the jobs are quite what you're expecting. Is there a specific postion you're interested in so that perhaps we could give you some insight?

I'd love to steer you toward my own "alma matter" in attractions, but I'm sure everyone has their own stories for what they loved about their role. So, what do you want to do?

I was thinking attraction operations, or selling merchandise, not really interested in food, but would still do it.

DL4EVER
01-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I also share the same dream, to work as a CM at Disneyland, and I myself and wondering, although my dream is still at least 6 years off for me, what it would take to get a job, in say, Attractions and what that job would mean. I would love to hear and greatly appreciate any insight on this. Thanks in advance.

LFuzzy
01-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Be parpared to answer questions like... How did you resolve a conflict with a customer. What would you do if someone (Guest) started yelling at you. If you are going to work in a position that involves contact with guests, you will need to impress upon the interviewer how you handle yourself in tough situations.

Loric
01-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Hints:

Dress conservatively. Think business style attire. You want to use soft textures and give yourself a very inviting look.. You want to say "You can leave your kids with me and I wont eat them." You have to look "All american"

Wear a color that work with you. No hot pink, but perhaps a inviting baby blue dress shirt - something to give you some life without being over bearing. Pastels mixed with greys tend to work well - conservative and colorful. You want a slight air of whimsy and charm.

Think of the movie Pleasentville. You want to look like those people. All-American and applepie.

Ditch the earrings, have your manicure done in a natural tone with SHORT nails, no necklaces, no braclets - only a watch and possibly an engagement or wedding ring - lose everything else.

Guys: No side burns or facial hair whatsoever.

Girls: Wear pantyhose.

Both: No highlights or wild hair colors.

Actually, they want Disney geeks. You have to be enthusiastic about the company, especially with little or no experience. Know what they're proud of and what you admire in the company. Those are the reasons they need you, and the reasons you want to be there.

Attractions is the hardest entry-level frontline position to get. Check and make sure there are openings when you apply. You can wait a week or two and apply later if there aren't.

Think Happy Happy Happy. Someone just threw up on your shoes, a wheelchair riding guest just rolled over your leg, and the system just sprayed hydrolic fluid in your face - but you're still smiling.

Oh, in attractions you have to be able to think for yourself - sometimes you're the only one making the decisions and you have to be confident in yourself - you're dealing with people lives (safety) and the a major element of the guest experience (ride operations/availability).

You have to be able to say "I'm in charge here" even when the guest is abusing you in every way possible to get what they want - and if you get to be any good at it, they wont abuse you, but rather note the essence of authority you give off and it wont be a problem :)