PDA

View Full Version : ToT Rose Parade Float to be at DCA Jan. 2nd thru 20th

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
12-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Disneyland.com is stating that you can see the ToT Rose Bowl float at DCA from January 2nd thru the 20th.

RickW
12-31-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info Darkbeer. We'll make a point to see it on our visit next week.

Andrew
01-01-2004, 08:06 AM
It just went by on the Rose Parade. Very impressive, though it was completely "DCA" and no Disneyland at all. I think the elevator-dropping may not have been working, but the float was quite well done despite that.

Something I missed seeing was how exactly this extra-tall float "collapses" to go under the bridges on the parade route--it's something the telecast usually makes a point of mentioning, but there was no talk about it this time. Perhaps the DLR float doesn't go under bridges?

How are they gonna get that huge thing down to DCA today?!

Uncle Dick
01-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
It just went by on the Rose Parade. Very impressive, though it was completely "DCA" and no Disneyland at all. I think the elevator-dropping may not have been working, but the float was quite well done despite that.
The elevator did drop…slowly. A sudden drop may have been too dangerous for the performers.

Something I missed seeing was how exactly this extra-tall float "collapses" to go under the bridges on the parade route--it's something the telecast usually makes a point of mentioning, but there was no talk about it this time. Perhaps the DLR float doesn't go under bridges?
They mentioned it on HGTV just now, and I do say mentioned because they didn't provide any specifics, only that it would have to pass underneath the bridge.

The float looked quite nice despite being a rather shameless plug for DCA.

Klutch
01-01-2004, 08:22 AM
I found it quite interesting that the commentators on HGTV went on in much detail about all of the floats; except the Disneyland Resort float. No mention was made about how pretty it was, what natural materials were used, or of any awards (there were none). They talked only about what a technical float it was.

One comment was, "...it's the tallest float to ever...". This reminded me of Rob Reiner referring to the mock metal band Spinal Tap as "...one the loudest bands to ever ...".

They also mentioned that the float did indeed collapse to go under the freeway overpass.

stitch626
01-01-2004, 08:57 AM
My friends and I were able to work on the Disney Float. And, we overheard that the float actually broke the rule slightly due to its height when it's collapsed. Meaning that it might not go under the bridge and just start it's journey to the Disneyland resort. I'm not sure now from what you guys have said. Probably you are right and what we heard was pure gossip?

Moxin
01-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I was rather disgusted with the float...just another way for Eisner to advertise for a quick buck. If Disney is going to have a float, it should be a DISNEY float...not some 3d billboard for a new ride.

Just my worthless .02...

lilblckrncloud
01-01-2004, 10:51 AM
All I could think of was, "What did it have to do with the Music, Music, Music theme?" I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be, but I did think the replicas of Screamin and the Sun Wheel were pretty.

p.s. Hi, Moxin!

Lost Boy
01-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Channel 5 mentioned that the float would not complete the Parade but would peel off the parade route and head straight to DCA for display. They also did not give any information about the float. I think everybody just recognized what it was. A commercial for a new ride at Disneyland. All the other "Corporate Companies" that had floats in the Parade where not advertizing there own produce or whatever. They did some wimsical float based on music as the theme of the Parade suggested. I was more impressed with the Dragon from Famers Insurance. Sure it was a nod to Protecting your castle, but it wasn't at all that blantent. Disney's Float, althought I did think it was pretty cool, really didn't fit with the overall Theme, and it sure did advertise DCA. Even the Character's where dressed in thier DCA outfits. Oh Well, at least they made an appearance this year.

lilblckrncloud
01-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by lilblckrncloud
All I could think of was, "What did it have to do with the Music, Music, Music theme?" I just answered my own question by doing a little more searching around and discovered that the name of the float is "A Sudden Drop in Pitch" which I imagine is their lame attempt at tying it into the musical theme. I do think it's funny that the channel 5 broadcast didn't mention the name, and as someone else pointed out, barely even described it or gave it much screen time at all!

bassett1976
01-01-2004, 02:53 PM
I got to see the float collapse down at the parade. They took it off the course where they store the rest of the floats. Right now they have it on a side street in Pasadena and are working to break the float down to transport it to DCA. They have at least 3 flat bed trucks that will take the float. It was very impressive how it collapsed down to be less than 10-15 feet tall.

I have a couple of pictures but I'm not sure how to post them here.

adriennek
01-01-2004, 04:47 PM
To post pictures here, you'll have to host them on your own webspace. The easiest way to post them is just to provide a link to your webspace, which you can do by just pasting the URL into a post..

For more information on posting pictures in your post: Posting Inline Images (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=10101) FAQ.

Adrienne

Klutch
01-01-2004, 08:41 PM
As I understand it, floats for the Tournament of Roses Parade take a year from project beginning to completion. Therefore, it's likely the Disney entry was the work of the resort's former administration.

I feel bad for any kids who might have heard there was going to be a Disney float. "Where's Mickey? Where's the castle? Where's 'When you wish upon a star'? (gee, what a novel idea for a float in a parade with a music, music, music theme).

Dollars to doughnuts the VAST majority of parade viewers accross the counrtry were saying, "What's California Adventure?", or "That doesn't look like Disneyland or Disney World".

Was the DCA float the only entry ever from Disney? Although it had some technical merit, I think it was misplaced. Also, for what that float cost Disney, I bet the Tiki Room could have received a complete rehab, if not just a new roof. Oh, I know, "That's a different pot of money".

Loric
01-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Klutch

Dollars to doughnuts the VAST majority of parade viewers accross the counrtry were saying, "What's California Adventure?", or "That doesn't look like Disneyland or Disney World".

It's okay, over here we build a 20-story wand with 2-story high letters that say "Epcot" next to the biggest shiniest eye catcher in the world and people still ask us where the castle is.

Baloo
01-01-2004, 10:13 PM
"I just answered my own question by doing a little more searching around and discovered that the name of the float is "A Sudden Drop in Pitch" which I imagine is their lame attempt at tying it into the musical theme. I do think it's funny that the channel 5 broadcast didn't mention the name, and as someone else pointed out, barely even described it or gave it much screen time at all!"

Actually Bob Eubanks and Stephanie Edwards did mention the name of the float and Stephaine even made a comment about how her pitch in voice would change because she would be extremely scared. They aslo mentioned that the float would collapse to be able to fit under the 17 1/2 foot clearance of the bridge and then be diverted to the resort before the end of the parade route.

Channel seven had and extensive look about each float showing size and length of each one and also gave an inside view of how the float collapse and showed the insiode of the steal frame. They mentioned that the float was approximately 40 tons in weight and was the tallest and most complex and expensive float built.

As for the theming at least they named it to fit with it a bit some of the other corporations had their names in huge letters including starbucks, lenscrafters, Auto club and they did not even try to give it a name that went with the theme, unless you consider "A wild vacation"--- Auto club pertaining to sime kind of musical note. Other floats also stretch the theming quite a bit. "whistle while you work" -- what was that all about. or how about the float with the "Bambi music" that is all that related to music the float was a jungle.

Kuzcotopia
01-02-2004, 07:37 AM
I think it was great! It was certainly one of the most spectacular and memorable floats in years.

Disney used to do floats EVERY YEAR, but stopped due to crummy budget cuts.

Yes, it WAS a commercial.

So were quite a few others. It's normal.

But I found it the most Spectacular float in the parade. I think it made people go "wow".

If they had put together some lame float, without animation, without any sense of spectacle, and titled it:

"Come Visit The Tower Of Terror Opening This May at Disney's California Adventure Park at The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim" Yes, it would be lame. But they didn't do that. They did something special and memorable.

I hope they re-establish the tradition of participation in the Tournament of Roses Parade.

Moxin
01-02-2004, 07:39 AM
I'd much rather see a "Disney" float instead of an ad for an attraction. To me, it's inline with the sequels to great Disney movies...cashing in for an easy buck.

Kuzcotopia
01-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Anyone who thinks running DCA or advertising for it is an "easy buck" hasn't been paying attention!

This for me is a return to the Superbowl XXIX Halftime show "Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye". Yay, at least they're promoting Disneyland again.

newhdplayer
01-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Disneyland.com is stating that you can see the ToT Rose Bowl float at DCA from January 2nd thru the 20th.

Since the ride is going to disappoint, why should we go see the float?

Moxin
01-02-2004, 08:14 AM
The ride itself is fun...I enjoyed it several times at MGM studios. My concern is simply that it's not what Disney should be promoting. But then, it's been a long time since Disney (read: Eisner) cared about anything but his own pocketbook.

Kuzcotopia
01-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Errr...

I should have said "At least they're promoting the Disneyland Resort" again.

I'm glad they're back in the parade, and they're back to stay.
Let's hope next year they make a float Celebrating Disneyland's 50th, and let THAT one be the castle, and enough warm fuzzys to make Merlin Jones and Roy Disney swoon from a sugar high.

DL4EVER
01-02-2004, 09:34 AM
newhdplayer:

It is quite unfair to still say that this ride will disappoint in such a general manner. If it is going to disappoint you, regardless of not being finished, say that. Don't say that it is going to disappoint, because I assure you that there will be people that have NEVER been to Disney World, so DCA's ToT will be great to them. You were being a bit too broad in your comment, not to mention being a little negative.

Furthermore, the whole ToT debate is moot, because the second TDS gets theirs, all debate about the better Tower is over, and that is just from looking at its concept art, which all Towers thus far have followed their original concept artwork.

disneydude
01-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Since the ride is going to disappoint, why should we go see the float?

How can you say the ride is going to disappoint before you've even been on it?

MontanaKC
01-02-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm going to make a point of getting to DCA before the 19th so that I can see it up close, as well.

As far as the Tower of Terror float being blatant advertising for DCA, I would only say this:

The entire Tournament of Roses Parade is one blatant ad for the city of Pasadena. So what? It doesn't make it any less beautiful.

Just my opinion, of course.

Kim

cstephens
01-02-2004, 12:57 PM
I really liked the float. I thought it was cool. For some reason, I had thought it was only going to be the Tower, so I was really happy to see the roller coaster and the sunwheel and the Golden Gate Bridge, though it was weird that it wasn't really red.

And as for the theme of the parade, there were a lot of floats that were pretty much stretching the theme.

And as for advertising - pretty much every single float in the parade was advertising their sponsor so it amuses me that people feel the need to single out this one. Oh well.