PDA

View Full Version : Preferred parking now available at Mickey & Friends Parking Structure

olegc
11-20-2016, 05:40 PM
I have seen some speculation about this. $35 gets you spots closer to the elevators on floors 2 through 6 - and supposedly you can upgrade your AP to preferred for a fee.

If true - I wonder what happens when the lot is "full" (of the regular spots) and I have paid for parking on my AP. Do I have to exit and go back to TS? Hmmm

AVP
11-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Per the rumor I've heard, this begins tomorrow. I'll check it out and report back.

AVP

AVP
11-21-2016, 10:19 AM
This rolled out today at the Mickey and Friends parking structure only, and is not currently available at the Toy Story Parking lot.

The new parking rates are as follows:

$18.00 for cars and motorcycles
$35.00 preferred parking for cars and motorcycles
$23.00 for oversized vehicles, motor homes and tractors without trailers
$28.00 for buses and tractors with extended trailers

Preferred Parking gives access to a designated section on levels 2-6 of the Mickey and Friends parking structure, closest to the elevators and escalators. It is not available on the Chip and Dale level, or for the Pinocchio parking level. Drivers who have a valid disability parking permit can continue to park in the marked HCA parking spaces on all levels, subject to availability.

Passholders who already have the parking benefit on their annual pass can pay $17 at the toll booth to access preferred parking for the day.

olegc
11-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Do u know the % of spaces designated for preferred?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AVP
11-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Do u know the % of spaces designated for preferred?

No idea, and it's probably something that can flex from day-to-day based on demand. At WDW they seemed to expand and contract the area constantly during the tests, and move it around.

Niwel
11-21-2016, 10:53 AM
But are they still closing the structure for chunks during the day?

AVP
11-21-2016, 11:03 AM
But are they still closing the structure for chunks during the day?They rarely actually close it, they just close all but one approach to it. Bookmark The Flyover Trick (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?219715-The-quot-Flyover-Trick-quot-to-getting-into-the-Mickey-and-Friends-Parking-Structure&highlight=flyover+trick) so you can refer to it when you're heading to Disneyland and want to give yourself the best chance for getting into the structure. Since my normal route puts me onto the flyover I almost always park in Mickey and Friends, but people coming from other directions can do the same with a bit of planning.

Baloo
11-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Wow double the regular parking. Are people that lazy that they pay that much to save themselves a few steps of walking

queenbetsey
11-21-2016, 05:23 PM
not all are lazy some of us have back or leg issues. seems like they don't want to let me use my placard in the chip and dale lot any more (we could see loads of empty spots) and when redirected up into that horrid structure, told to park "at the first place you see" m last two trips we were an the last row. so add that hike to the hike into the park it takes it 's toll especially on the way back when the escalator was not working and had to hike the stairs wait for the overly small elevator that parents needed to use for their strollers and folks in wheel chairs/scooters.

AVP
11-21-2016, 05:53 PM
not all are lazy some of us have back or leg issues. seems like they don't want to let me use my placard in the chip and dale lot any more (we could see loads of empty spots) and when redirected up into that horrid structure, told to park "at the first place you see" m last two trips we were an the last row. so add that hike to the hike into the park it takes it 's toll especially on the way back when the escalator was not working and had to hike the stairs wait for the overly small elevator that parents needed to use for their strollers and folks in wheel chairs/scooters.Chip and Dale is being reconfigured due to the new tram route, and the construction traffic is a mess. I agree that HCA parking is a really issue up there, and I honestly hope that having attendants standing guard over the "preferred" spots will actually help with this issue, and they'll have CMs in place to direct both preferred and HCA guests all the way to their respective parking areas.

The elevator situation is a complete joke, and I grumble about it EVERY. TIME. I have to get a stroller down from Donald or Minnie. I do not understand WHY the planners thought two elevators with a maximum capacity of 4 strollers each were adequate to serve the largest parking structure west of the Rockies. It defies logic. I seethe when big groups fill the entire elevator car instead of just using it for the one or two people who need it, and having everyone else use the escalators. When it's my husband, myself and a stroller, ONE of us takes the stroller down the elevator, and the other takes the remaining kids down the escalator. We don't need to fill half an elevator car for the purpose of staying together for a 2-minute ride, especially if we can clear space for another stroller or wheelchair.

Gone2Disneyland
11-24-2016, 01:26 PM
After the Wizarding World opened in Hollywood, I looked into the expenses associated with buying a USH Season Pass and learned they have preferred parking too, charming a higher fee to park closer to the park. Learning Disneyland is now doing the same thing just makes think Disney is catching up.

currence
11-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Legoland has had a preferred parking fee for closer parking for quite a while (at least 5 years?). At one point, it was free a free upgrade if you owned a specific brand of car. I don't *think* that's the case anymore, but I don't really pay attention. That lot is similar to the old DL lot but without the tram. if we didn't have ambassador parking I would be tempted to pay the upgrade on a busy day if we weren't there right at park opening. That walk can get FAR.

Sea World also has a preferred parking upgrade. I don't know how long they have had that, we've only been passholders there for a year.

Baloo
11-24-2016, 09:45 PM
I was referring more to the people that are capable of walking or are in need of walking forbhealth reasons but they rather pay extra to be a few parking step closer.
I understand your dilema I have nacrosis of the hip and occasionally do feel the need/ or want a closer parking space. I have never had a problem with the parking staff and if available I ask for a disabled parking space which are on every level. If not I park in any available space. I figure that if I am planning to walk around all day then a few more feet shouldn't stop me and if it is an issue I just turn around and go home

candles71
11-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Universal has had it the entire time we have been going. 2006 was our first trip.

Nightwing
11-25-2016, 01:37 PM
I tried it on Thanksgiving. Arrived a bit late around 7:20AM. Wanted to see how it worked. Not bad... Except for "What do we charge you?" question he was asking the other CM. Have AP with parking so was 17. Very organized no issue. They verified off of the Parking stub along with a Paper like the yellow or green one they some times hand out.

Was kind of silly in the morning. Go the slot right off the exculator. But after 12 hours of DL & DCA it felt like it payed for itself. Was nice to not hunt for the car and the long walk. One of the few time I needed to back out of the slot but the person in the lane really really wanted my slot so was easy to get out. ^_^

I left around 8pm. But wondered if the "Preferred" was still active at that time of night? Not sure.

Nightwing
11-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Chip and Dale is being reconfigured due to the new tram route, and the construction traffic is a mess. I agree that HCA parking is a really issue up there, and I honestly hope that having attendants standing guard over the "preferred" spots will actually help with this issue, and they'll have CMs in place to direct both preferred and HCA guests all the way to their respective parking areas.

The elevator situation is a complete joke, and I grumble about it EVERY. TIME. I have to get a stroller down from Donald or Minnie. I do not understand WHY the planners thought two elevators with a maximum capacity of 4 strollers each were adequate to serve the largest parking structure west of the Rockies. It defies logic. I seethe when big groups fill the entire elevator car instead of just using it for the one or two people who need it, and having everyone else use the escalators. When it's my husband, myself and a stroller, ONE of us takes the stroller down the elevator, and the other takes the remaining kids down the escalator. We don't need to fill half an elevator car for the purpose of staying together for a 2-minute ride, especially if we can clear space for another stroller or wheelchair.

Yep they had good access control on Thursday. After you get your parking stub. The Cm puts a large Preferred paper Sign under you blade. So as you drive up. There is a CM that either motion you to turn or moves a small white sign saying Preferred Parking. When you get up to him he removes the Preferred Paper Sign and ask you to place your parking ticket so it can be seen. As as usually just drive on and a CM leaded you to a parking spot. Simple huh.

Strollers and how big some are are a pet peeve for me. The VW Bug size one need to be baned. Sorry just hate those things.

olegc
11-25-2016, 03:16 PM
One interesting item is parking lot re-entry. Not that many folks do it but if they take your paper, and that's the only way to show u paid preferred, how do you get back (or does a regular receipt exist)

Nightwing
11-25-2016, 06:07 PM
One interesting item is parking lot re-entry. Not that many folks do it but if they take your paper, and that's the only way to show u paid preferred, how do you get back (or does a regular receipt exist)

Good question. The paper that the Cm put under you winshield washer blade only has the word Perfected Parking and its taken at the check point. The actual normal parking stub has listed Preferred Parking. And you keep that and place it where it can be seen. But on coming back in.... I have no clue... Need to go on Dec 3 and will ask...

You bring up one of the flaws unless they know how many they have and are there. When they see a "stub" with that on it they know you are returning and you left. So maybe they fill up the PP's and that it for the day?

tea4two
11-26-2016, 10:30 PM
I asked a CM at the M&F entry booths about Preferred re-entry. He said that you do get re-entry with the parking receipt, but you are not guaranteed a spot in the Preferred section when you re-enter. He admitted that this was really dumb. So you are better off for now leaving your car in the Preferred section all day. As for Disabled parking, the CM said that all guests with the disabled placard will be parked in Chip & Dale (not Pinocchio) until the spaces fill up. After that, disabled guests will be sent to the Preferred sections without being charged the Preferred fee.

Nightwing
11-27-2016, 11:37 AM
I asked a CM at the M&F entry booths about Preferred re-entry. He said that you do get re-entry with the parking receipt, but you are not guaranteed a spot in the Preferred section when you re-enter. He admitted that this was really dumb. So you are better off for now leaving your car in the Preferred section all day. As for Disabled parking, the CM said that all guests with the disabled placard will be parked in Chip & Dale (not Pinocchio) until the spaces fill up. After that, disabled guests will be sent to the Preferred sections without being charged the Preferred fee.

Tnks!

pretty Omi
11-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Went yesterday, and while I know this is the less busy Holiday weekend, there were no cars parked in the preferred spaced on Minnie as of 1pm, and there were no cars there either when I left at 9:45pm. The area was still coned off.

tea4two
11-28-2016, 07:27 PM
On Saturday, 11/26, there were about 4 cars parked in the preferred section on the Goofy level when we arrived in the early afternoon (and a few cars in the HCA spots). Same number when we left later in the evening. Maybe the rain had something to do with the extremely low numbers?

Nightwing
12-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Hardly any also on Sun 4. Think three plus me. Also think they cut it before I got back be cause there were no CN and nothing blocking.