PDA

View Full Version : Crowd control back stage Sat. 12/27

Beavis
12-29-2003, 06:35 PM
On Saturday 12/27/03 to help with the crowd control after the last parade, they had cones lined up back stage from the nurses station/ Inn Between to the Egg house gate (next to DFD)....
I thought we were suppost to not let the guests see the back stage area.
If only Walt knew.

ChipmunkStar
12-29-2003, 07:44 PM
When Main Street becomes a complete mass of non-moving human bodies that can become a complete fire hazard and cause potential life loss if something were to happen (like an accidental fire or bombing or anything), I think Walt would agree that it may be alright to open the gate for just a few hours until the mass of bodies has moved to the point of not being dangerous.

Of course, then the question becomes, had Walt been around, would that many people even be in the park to pose such an instance?

Andrew
12-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
On Saturday 12/27/03 to help with the crowd control after the last parade, they had cones lined up back stage from the nurses station/ Inn Between to the Egg house gate (next to DFD)....

During the Last Days of the Electrical Parade and the Only Days of Light Magic, a guest access corridor was often used from the Fire Station through to Coke Corner. Another was open from the gates near the Fantasyland theater to Big Thunder Ranch.

Interesting, but disturbing.

RStar
12-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Yes, I was there to witness the mayhem of the last days of MSEP, and when it was done near the end of Fantasmic! and the two audiences met, to help get the crowds out they sent some of us through the "Backside Of Main Street". I thought it was kinda cool to see the Jungle boats docked back there. The smell from the dumpsters on the other hand.................

Which reminds me, I never gave it much thought before that little walk, but all the food shops are on the same side of the street for a reason.;)

efoxx
12-30-2003, 08:19 AM
this is not actually new. I remember back in the 70's during the candle light procession they would route people in and out of the park through the walkway between MS and adventureland.

TP2000
12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
If only Walt knew.

I've been routed "backstage" and around Main Street messes several times in the past decade. It's definitely not something "new". During the summer of '97, they used backstage walkways past dumpsters and breakrooms every night of the week to get around the Light Magic mess. They sent you back behind Storybookland and through a weird tunnel to Frontierland, and they sent you back behind Main Street and out to the parking lot constantly. And then there was the whole MSEP fiasco of '96! What a mess.

If Walt knew how many people were in the Park for literally pennies per day through the use of AP's, that's what would probably upset him. Certainly that's more upsetting than temporarily using backstage areas to alleviate dangerous overcrowding.

Cadaverous Pallor
12-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Perhaps there needs to be some permanent change in the area to fix this problem? Maybe they could make more paths or widen old ones?

I would rather they close the front gates quicker though.

Gauchograd99
01-04-2004, 02:32 PM
I cannot remember the exact date of it, but I was wisked backstage from Rod's piano to the firehouse to escape the mass of people about a week or 2 ago. Really cool to see but scary to think they don't have a better plan for getting people out the door in an orderly manner. :(

Icy Bacon
01-04-2004, 09:55 PM
On Saturday night (1/3/04) they opened the route from the right of the Coke Corner to by the Fire Department before the snow machines even turned off. I wasn't even planning on heading out but I took it anyways and got a nice look of the back of Main Street (nice backstage buildings) and the Jungle Cruise boat parking area. There were also some wheel bogies that looked like they were for a coaster with inboard side-friction wheels... I was pretty excited, till I found out they were JC equipment. Really surprising that the JC boats basically run with coaster wheel assemblies on the rails.