PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ridden a Segway yet?

snitcherus
12-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Has anyone ridden a Segway at Innoventions yet?

I'm soooo excited to ride one. Dean Kamen is one of my favorite people (He's Segway's inventor and the sponsor of the FIRST robotics competition (because of him and FIRST I actually built a robot!))! Segways look so cool! I had not hoped to ride one without forking over $5000.

So -- any tips for actually getting to ride one? Optimal times to go? I seldom go into Innoventions -- is it crazy and crawling with kids, or will I actually be able to get onto a Segway? How popular is this opportunity? Any CM or visitor advice?

Cadaverous Pallor
12-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Ghoulish and I went to check out the Segway thing about a week ago. We heard from a CM friend that they may not be doing the "test-runs" that day, but we had to see for ourselves. We headed over to Innoventions and asked the CM at the entrance whether it was happening or not. She said that they do it on and off throughout the day and there's no way to know whether it was happening or not unless you go inside and check. So we finally get inside (I am so over Tom Morrow), climb up the stairs, and find an empty area where the Segways should have been.

:( :mad:

I know that I'm going to head over there every time I'm in the park, just to be sure, but man, is that going to be a pain in the rear.

Has anyone ever snuck in the exit?

millionairegirl
12-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

Has anyone ever snuck in the exit?

We tried so hard, but No one was coming out of the exits. We couldn't even figure out which door *was* the exit. Although just trying was kind of fun-I felt like a rebel! Tom Morrow is awful! And the CM at the turnstyle is almost always worse.

I hate innoventions! Why do they make you wait to go in, when there's noting to do once you get inside.

Promo-Man
12-29-2003, 08:22 PM
My wife and I were in the park last Wednesday and went to Innovations. Liz was able to ride the Segway but I was not as I am over the weight limit of 250 lbs you also have to be 16 or older to ride one. They started letting people ride at 12:30 the day that we went. Well I guess I will have to lose 80 lbs and go back.

MonorailMan
12-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Me must ride Segway. ;)

TheatreTech
12-29-2003, 10:04 PM
*raises hand*

I rode one....and it was so cool.:D :fez: :D

...and don't worry Tom, I'll be back.;)

OFF TOPIC: speaking of the exit to Innoventions...
it can be a good place to view the fireworks. If you stand in the right place you can see the fireworks on one side of the Matterhorn and the Castle on the other. Plus, you can hear the music.;)

Anthony
12-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Not sure that I get the Segway obsession, they seem like lame scooters to me, but I digress.

I always support a person's right to stalk an inanimate object, so here is a simple alternate suggestion for you.

Quit wasting time at DLR trying to ride that thing, and simply go to your local mall that is selling them. I live in AZ (not exactly the cultural and shopping Mecca of the world) and there is a Segway store that you can take an extended test drive for free. The only draw back is having to wear a helmet and look like a tool, not to mention the transmission of head lice.

Anyway, good luck, check out your local malls, and have a great time. Like the White Trash bumper sticker says, "Drive it like ya stole it!"

TheatreTech
12-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Anthony
Anyway, good luck, check out your local malls, and have a great time. Like the White Trash bumper sticker says, "Drive it like ya stole it!" You say that like there is something wrong with White Trash.:rolleyes: ;) [/randomness]

DisneyFan25863
12-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Here are the two places that have test Segways in CA:

Regional Transportation Center
4001 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92105
Phone: 619-521-2469

Seaway Rentals
San Diego, CA 92109
Phone: 858-488-8410

snitcherus
12-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Wow, thanks Disneyfan...too bad i live in LA! Next time i'm in San Diego I will surely check those locations out. Until then, I will lurk around Innoventions...

As for the Segway "obsession" -- I think those of us who love gadgets just salivate when we see one. A "glorified scooter" or not, Dean Kamen's vision for the Segway is really ambitious!

DLanddrew
12-31-2003, 01:02 PM
The Disney credit union, Partners, was giving Segway rides to CMs and anyone else that came in for the past two weeks...got the chance to have a "guided ride" from one of the CMs over there, and it was so cool! Apparently the thing has no accellerator or brakes, it's all driven off your slight body movements.

And it totally blows scooters out of the water. Definitely not lame.

Apparently there's some special discount and financing deal for CMs to buy them through the credit union, they had them for $4295. Time to start saving those pennies...

DLandDrew

Cadaverous Pallor
12-31-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by DLanddrew
Apparently the thing has no accellerator or brakes, it's all driven off your slight body movements. Just to clarify - the accellerator and brakes are inside the base, and your body movements (forward and backward) trigger them.

Kuzcotopia
12-31-2003, 03:32 PM
I've gotten to ride a Segway quite a few times.

They are great fun. They're like riding a scooter in the same way that the Matterhorn is like riding a roller-coaster.

They have a certain .... feel... to them. A pleasant motion, sort of like the feel of the bouncing theater in HITSA, or the gentle glide forth and back of Soarin'. A definite rush.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-06-2004, 01:16 PM
I keep forgetting to post this - Ghoulish and I rode Segways on Sunday! :D :D :D

It was just as cool as it looks. It was extremely easy- very intuitive, very simple. We only got to ride it for about a minute, and most of that was instructions, but it was worth the wait!

So keep hitting Innoventions and you might get lucky.

It was so cool!!! I want one.

stagedoorjonny
01-06-2004, 01:40 PM
If they are so simple to ride, how did George W flip over in one? I thjink I just answered my question.:eek:

snitcherus
01-06-2004, 03:25 PM
About George W falling off the Segway...

I heard that the Segway wasn't on when he tried to ride it. Take a look at this series of pictures: http://www.tegatai.com/~konduct/archives/000069.html

When it is on, a Segway stands upright all by itself. If you look at the first frame of the pictures at the above link, it looks very obviously like the Segway wasn't on -- how could GW have tipped it like that?

Cadaverous Pallor
01-06-2004, 05:29 PM
So I guess he was dumb enough to get on one that wasn't turned on. :rolleyes:

<Bugs Bunny> What a maroon! </Bugs>

Morrigoon
01-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Okay, how stupid is San Francisco? I mean, honestly! I've never seen a part of the country so in love with restricting people's freedom as the bay area! (re: a mention on the George Bush page about SF banning Segways on their sidewalks)

ToursbabeC3po
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Shoot I work in Tommorowland and almost got my head chopped off by a lead for touching one and not being "trained" and you are telling me they let guest on them? LOL that is so funny! Have fun!

I am a supporter of Savedisney

MonorailMan
01-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Had a real nice woman for my ride. Her name was Shirley. :)

Lot's of fun, and so easy to move. Let's see, that's $4,000. ;) :D