PDA

View Full Version : DL without the kids

seattlemom
12-29-2003, 08:24 AM
My husband and I will be going to DL for a few days at the end of Feb. I've never been without the kids, and was wondering if anyone was willing to share their favorite things to do at DL as a couple.

Thanks

MouseWife
12-29-2003, 09:07 AM
LOL Seattlemom~ this is a Disney site!!

So, to be able to run from ride to ride without any kid saying 'Oo, that one is too fast/slow/boring/scary' is one of the best feelings I have had!

Other than that, just sitting around enjoying people watching together sharing schnackies is relaxing. Riding the dark rides is of course fun. Taking the back row on rides.........

And, of course, the fun of buying stuff for the kids back at home.

Oh, have fun!

Others will have a lot more interesting things as hubby and I are sort of boring. :geek:

tod
12-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by seattlemom
My husband and I will be going to DL for a few days at the end of Feb. I've never been without the kids, and was wondering if anyone was willing to share their favorite things to do at DL as a couple.

Thanks.

Aside from the obvious long dark train trip between the Hungry Bear and Toontown, car to yourself, late at night, you get the idea there are a number of ways for a couple to enjoy Disneyland sans offspring:

Get a cup of coffee at the Market House and sit on the China Closet porch and people-watch.
If you get there early enough, watch the band in performance at their morning concerts. Or at Flag Retreat.
Take an after-dark walk hand-in-hand up Big Thunder Mountain Trail from Fantasyland to Frontierland. As you crest the hill, see the lights of New Orleans Square reflected in the Rivers of America.
Ride the Mark Twain. Promenade deck. Not too high, not too low. Wave back at the Indian chief on his horse. Watch the ducks.
Fork out $3 for popcorn, and feed it to the ducks and swans in the Castle moat.
Hold hands walking down Main Street. Freak out the teens who thought sex was invented, like, y'know, a few months ago? You know? When boys stopped being icky? I think it was last semester?
Watch the people trying to corral their kids. Smile sympathetically.
Go flying with Peter Pan.
Remember what drew you together before kids complicated matters.

--T

cstephens
12-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by seattlemom

Thanks

I think the best part about going without the kids this time is that you two can do what you want to do, not what the kids want to do. Haven't been to a ride or attraction because the kids don't like it? Now you can. Don't particularly like a ride but the kids do so you go? Now you don't have to. Have a quiet dinner with just the two of you if that sounds appealing. If you have friends in the area, get together with them and have a meal without having to worry about the kids. Or be "bad" and have those things that you might not have around the kids, like ice cream or popcorn or churros (Had one of those yesterday for the first time in years. Mmmm, it was so good, but $20 doesn't buy you 10 of them anymore.) or whatever.

Have fun!

ESS Heckler
12-29-2003, 01:05 PM
I Love going to Disneyland without the kids!!! (Don't get me wrong - I love going with the kids, too) In fact, I'm going with out the kids over MLK day weekend, with DBF, Brother and sister-in law. Can't wait!

My favorite thing to do wothout kids is dinner at the Vineyard room, with a seat overlooking the Electric Parade. I love thier 'wine flights'.

Also, in the same area during the day, there is a wine bar where they hold wine tastings. Show up early and make a reservation. The somaliers (sp?)(wine stewards) are very interesting. They usually have two reds and two whites to taste.

And, since I'm on an alcohol related theme here, go to the bar in the Grand Californian and enjoy a Hot Buttered Rum n from of the fireplace.

Have a wonderful time - and yes, the kids will forgive you for going without them.

ModHatter
12-31-2003, 12:50 PM
If you're looking to get in the Disney mood, I always recommend couples go to see Mr. Lincoln. It's one of those "Only Disney could do this" attractions that most kids won't appreciate.

Plus, the audio effects guarantee that someone will be climbing the Matterhorn when we get home ;)