PDA

View Full Version : Rain

EeyoreAdorer
12-29-2003, 06:49 AM
I've been following the weather reports for the days that we plan on being in DL. It looks like rain and wind pretty much most of Tues. and parts of Wed. :( I'm hoping it'll let up Thurs, Fri and Sat.

As I've never been to the park in the rain, does anyone have any tips for me as to what to wear/pack/bring? (All I know is, we'll probably need plenty of sweaters/sweatshirts.)

Are we going to need galoshes and rain ponchos? Are umbrella's a no-no? It's hard to guess what to pack and if someone who is actually down there, or who knows from experience could help out, I'd appreciate it. We're flying down Tues AM.

:confused:

Thanks again

davebert4
12-29-2003, 07:18 AM
Whatever you do, make sure you have a different color poncho than the park is selling (yellow, I think) otherwise its easy to lose your party in the sea of yellow ponchos

idesign
12-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Let's See.. on my honeymoon it rained at DL. What we did was this... Since main street was about three inches deep in water we walked on the side walks. Since Bear Country was three inches deep in water and had no sidewalks I went into the bathroom and took the (clean) plastic trash bags out of the bottom of a trash can and put them under my socks in a desperate attempt to stay dry. Nothing worked, ponchos or no! Since the park was viertually empty we got on lots of rides, but were soaked to the bone. In that kind of rain there's almost no way to stay dry, but the memories truly are one of a kind!

Go and have a ball, but be sure to have your sense of humor finely tuned and operational.

SusanP.
12-29-2003, 09:25 AM
Get a can of Scotchguard and spray everything that isn't waterproof, especially your shoes! Wet feet can ruin your whole day. I'm always afraid of people walking with umbrellas, that I'm going to get my eye poked out or something by somebody who is not paying attention (ie, most of the people in Disneyland). Wear a hat and keep your head dry. But if you are staying at one of the hotels you'll always have a place to go dry off and warm up, so that is good. Wear layers, though, because our weather is undpredictable. Have fun!

dingdong2U
12-29-2003, 01:30 PM
All I can say is that I hope it all clears up before Wednesday Night. If there's any rain or high winds, that means no fireworks for New Years Eve... :-(

Anyone have any idea on whether there's been a year where the New Years Eve fireworks have been cancelled due to "inclement weather"?

I guess the good side of it, that if it does rain maybe it'll lessen the crowds a little bit (wishful thinking).

Going off topic a little bit, but I'm going to be up at the parks for New Years Eve, who else is planning on coming?

--- Mike

HBTiggerFan
12-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Bring ponchos from home if you want them. They are really expensive at the park. Same with umbrellas. If you have a windbreaker, snowboarding jacket or other water resistant jacket wear that, otherwise you will get wet, so why stress about it.

I find I have the most fun in DL in the rain if I don't concentrate on staying dry and enjoy being soked.

TheatreTech
12-29-2003, 04:32 PM
I'd have to agree with HB Tigger Fan.
I don't sugest an umbrella for the reason stated before and because it is one more thing to hold. They also make is harder to maneuver through people.
Oh, and converse=bad for the rain.;)

DisneylandKid
12-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Tomorrow my family was planning on going to Disneyland with a first-timer from out-of-town. I wanted them to see Believe… Holiday, but probably won't be able to. Disneyland City Hall doesn't give “rain checks” if you ask for them, do they? Anything I can do?

EeyoreAdorer
12-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone.......I spent a couple of hours at the mall buying "rain" shoes for me and my daughter and a down coat for me (my daugher already has one)......so, we're set :), I think. Then I came home and my daughter treated all the shoes with water repellant.

Thanks idesign and SusanP for the advise to have fun, have a ball and to keep my sense of humor. I think it's that last mantra that I'll keep repeating to keep me sane.

A little off subject, my daughter is a frequent visitor of the Laughing Place posts and keeps telling me about the "beach ball group" that meets in front of SB Castle on NYE. Does anyone know much about them (and if there are any openings for newbies this NYE ?????)

Also, if anyone here is planning on being at DL this NYE, we'd love to say "Hi" any descriptions you want to share??

My daughter and I will both be wearing black down jackets. Me, with a lavender scarf, her with black. Both of us in blue jeans and black shoes. Me 40=ish, her 18 (looks 15) ; both dark hair. Me around 5'5 or, her around 4' 10". Sorry, nothing else really distinguishing.

HBTiggerFan
12-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
Tomorrow my family was planning on going to Disneyland with a first-timer from out-of-town. I wanted them to see Believe… Holiday, but probably won't be able to. Disneyland City Hall doesn't give “rain checks” if you ask for them, do they? Anything I can do?

Disneyland does do fireworks in the rain. They may not do the snow, depending on how wet the ground is. The only reason that I know of that there won't be fireworks is because of the winds.

TrekkieDad
12-29-2003, 09:00 PM
My wife and I will be arriving for a 4-night stay. We're driving down from NorCal and should get there about noon on Wednesday. The few times I have been to Disneyland in the rain, I've had a good time, anyway.

We'll be at the Fantasmic! dessert at midnight. The rest of the time--who knows?

If it rains, I'll be wearing a bright red and black cycling rain jacket. Otherwise, I'm likely to be in one of two distinctive windbreakers--one bright orange (think CalTrans) with Stockton Bicycle Club on it, and the other bears the California State Flag. In any case I'll likely be wearing an olive fedora that I got at DCA two years ago.

I'm fairly new to MP. Is there some sort of secret handshake? ;)

lisap
12-29-2003, 09:15 PM
Just remember that rain usually keeps the crowds down--and that will be a good thing. However, it would be tough camping out on a blanket in front of the castle waiting for fireworks for several hours in the rain--it was not super comfy to begin with. :(
The Fantasmic dessert sounds like a much better place to ring in the new year :).

Bruce Bergman
12-29-2003, 10:15 PM
They can shoot the fireworks in a drizzle or light rain, but the trick is they can't load the show unless the tubes are dry. Once they're loaded, they can throw a sheet of saran wrap or foil over the end of the tube to keep the rain out...

Mild winds aren't a problem, they can tilt the tubes into the wind. But heavy winds will stop the show. What goes up must come down, and all that. :rolleyes:

The latest reports have the storm being a bit milder than orifginally forecast. Think good thoughts, and I'll see you there.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

HBTiggerFan
12-29-2003, 10:25 PM
I wanted to add that while they do fireworks in the rain, you may only see the occasional firework, depending on the clouds. The last time I went to see them in the rain all we saw was a trickle of light. So don't count on a perfect view and flawless show. YMMV.

PhilMP
12-30-2003, 01:58 AM
Well...if it doesn't rain, the only thing that will really bring down the spectacle of the fireworks is fog. Last couple years, or maybe just two years ago, a heavy fog rolled in around 11 PM, making the midnight fireworks just look like big balls of light. It still looked cool, just...subdued.

I'll be working NYE, but during the day, but I may get the chance to run overtime. You won't see me around midnight, I'll be backstage grubbing on free food and having some a blast with friends.

Phil

tod
12-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by PhilMP
Well...if it doesn't rain, the only thing that will really bring down the spectacle of the fireworks is fog. Last couple years, or maybe just two years ago, a heavy fog rolled in around 11 PM, making the midnight fireworks just look like big balls of light. It still looked cool, just...subdued.

Another thing that will kill the fireworks is a slow wind coming from the north. Pushes the smoke into the park, just like a fog.

-T