PDA

View Full Version : 'Marcelo is always there' - Orange County Register, 12/28/03

Darkbeer
12-29-2003, 01:45 AM
'Marcelo is always there' (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=73569&section=LOCAL&subsection=LOCAL&year=2003&month=12&day=28) - Orange County Register, 12/28/03

QuikQuote: The family, which has hired an attorney, said they haven't decided if they will pursue a lawsuit.
State inspectors found serious safety problems at Disneyland that extend beyond the accident that killed Marcelo Torres, according to a report released last month by the Division of Occupational Safety and Health.
At least two of the safety issues cited in the report might have contributed to the accident, which was caused when an improperly attached wheel fell from the train. Investigators found Disneyland allowed mechanics on Big Thunder Mountain and other rides to sign off on work that they had not performed, and return cars to service without a test ride.

BJW
12-29-2003, 05:05 AM
I don't get it, why are they not pursuing a lawsuit when Disneyland has practically admitted it is their fault that their son is dead. In my opinion, they should be awarded at least $16.9 million, because that is what the park saves every year from the maintenance budget cuts that McKinsey advised Pressler and Irby to make. Disneyland needs to be taught that it is a costly mistake to sacrifice safety for cash. If the park continues to accept reliability-centered maintenance, it should greatly increase the budget to include more inspections, training, and general maintenance. Saving a little is one thing but $16.9 million per year is ridiculous! They should cut that savings in half and apply that money to maintenance.

Freerider127
12-29-2003, 08:12 AM
I thought they saved 6 million from maintence.

lazyboy97O
12-29-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by BJW
I don't get it, why are they not pursuing a lawsuit when Disneyland has practically admitted it is their fault that their son is dead. In my opinion, they should be awarded at least $16.9 million, because that is what the park saves every year from the maintenance budget cuts that McKinsey advised Pressler and Irby to make. Disneyland needs to be taught that it is a costly mistake to sacrifice safety for cash. If the park continues to accept reliability-centered maintenance, it should greatly increase the budget to include more inspections, training, and general maintenance. Saving a little is one thing but $16.9 million per year is ridiculous! They should cut that savings in half and apply that money to maintenance.

I think that is a wonderful idea. They should be awarded the exact amount of money that Disney saved by not properly maintaining the attractions. I think the others involved should also get a good sum too. This would be a good lesson to Disney. Try to do things on the cheap, and you'll loose all you save when somebody gets hurt, or in this case dies.

adriennek
12-29-2003, 09:05 AM
I would think that they would be waiting to see what Disney offers, first. They already have retained lawyers and it's not much of a secret that they usually offer settlements to victims.

Adrienne