PDA

View Full Version : Dec. 27, Noon, Park at Capacity

Pages : [1] 2

Not Afraid
12-27-2003, 02:46 PM
My niece called from the park this afternoon. She is visiting from Denver and wanted to take her 3 kids to the park. They informed her that they were no longer selling DL tickets and that there was a chance that DCA tickets would be gone before they got to the front of the hour-long ticket line.

I'm going to meet them all at Build-a-Bear.:rolleyes:

Good times.

justagrrl
12-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Oh my! So glad I'm not there. I can't stand it when it's that crowded!

DisneyFan25863
12-27-2003, 03:33 PM
DCA and Sold out? Two words I thought I would never hear together!

I wonder if it did sell out.......

TheatreTech
12-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks for that. We were thinking about going this evening. I guess it's going to be a night of family MarioKart.:rolleyes:

RonJohn
12-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Wow I haven't seen it at full capacity since Valentines day of 2001! That's just a shocker DCA sold out!

RonJohn

RickW
12-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Same type of thing happened last year. I took my brother and sister-in-law to DCA on Dec. 27th. The park started getting really crowded. Turned out Disneyland was at capacity and they were directing people to DCA.

RonJohn
12-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Wow! Thats crazy. Well DLR is a popular place!

RonJohn

MickeyLumbo
12-27-2003, 06:20 PM
:(

ok... so maybe i'm an old fuddie- duddie...

are there people that actually ENJOY when the Park is filled to capacity?

my last visit was probably 3/4ths capacity and i felt not only extremely uncomfortable, but, in some situations that conditions had become unsafe.

i wish i could say that large crowds don't bother me, but, i can't.

AT LEAST, they have sense enough to close the gates at some point...but, i'm afraid (not Not Afraid):p that point would be way to late for me.

ugg, i can hardly breathe thinking about it.

while i'm here, i just want to say i really really love you guys!;)

Loric
12-27-2003, 07:46 PM
The only time I can really say I enjoy a capacity park, is when I know a park had been struggling.

After Sept 11, seeing the promenades of the World Showcase at Epcot literally turn into a mass of people was reassuring. I don't think the sentiment would be the same for me at DL or the MK.

RonJohn
12-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Anyone know the total capacity of the DLR not DCA? And does anyone know the capacity of both put together?

RonJohn

DonaldDuck14
12-27-2003, 09:08 PM
yes it was crowded! i had a shift today at the park and getting through adventureland was horrible. Mass confusion and people were literally standing and not moving. All i have to say is godspeed to the fantasmic guest control!

Rallymonkey23
12-28-2003, 03:53 PM
We were there. I have never been there while it was that packed!

I guess that day just gave us practice for New Years Eve. :D

lilblckrncloud
12-28-2003, 06:27 PM
The funniest thing I heard during my hour or so there last night occurred at around 11:30 pm in line for Star Tours, of all things. Looking out into the crowded loading area, a CM said, "I can't believe there are still so many people here!" I was incredulous, too.

Mr. lbrc and I decided to try to pop in late to renew our passes in order to avoid long lines at the processing center. We were shocked that the place was still so crowded after 10! We rode PotC after taking care of business, and then just sort of wandered. He joked that we should ride Star Tours since it was one of the last remnants of Tomorrowland and there wasn't much of a wait, so we just went for it. Looked like lots of people had the same idea, because the wait was longer than the posted 15 minutes! It was so surreal.

RStar
12-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

I'm going to meet them all at Build-a-Bear.:rolleyes:

Good times.

Well, shortly after bumping into you there (more like "Bob! Hey Bob!) we went to the World of Disney store to see what was left of the after Christmas sale. Not much. We went to see Peter Pan, and then to see the Belive fireworks show.

But after seeing the crowd in the store we just left. Now I'm glad we did!

efoxx
12-29-2003, 03:54 PM
it was a plot. eisner realizing that DL is aproaching capacity calls Ouimet and tells him to tell everybody that DCA is near capacity as well. thus promoting a myth that people actually like DCA.

don't beleave me. who was there at DCA and can say they saw the park and it was crowded.

Not Afraid
12-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by efoxx
don't beleave me. who was there at DCA and can say they saw the park and it was crowded.

See. Therein lies the problem. Most of us on the board rarely go to DCA, so, who would know???

AVP
12-29-2003, 04:18 PM
It continued today - Disneyland halted sales of one-day tickets around noon today. (Apparently it had been as early as 10:00 am over the weekend!)

I'm seriously rethinking my New Year's Eve plans. Either I'm buying a board game and camping out at Plaza Pavillion starting at park opening, or we're going to a friend's house. I really, REALLY want to see the new fireworks launchers if they really do get them to work, but I can't spend the day dealing with that mob.

AVP

Not Afraid
12-29-2003, 04:25 PM
I got a call from the park today. The person who called had stood in line for almost an HOUR for soup (only to find out the vegetarian soup was not available:rolleyes: ). On days like this, they need to have FP available for food.

TheatreTech
12-29-2003, 04:35 PM
I guess we'll bring our own food too. Along with cards...and sticks...sticks for poking people when they enter the "me-bubble". (kidding);) :p

MickeyLumbo
12-29-2003, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AVP
[B]It continued today - Disneyland halted sales of one-day tickets around noon today. (Apparently it had been as early as 10:00 am over the weekend!)

AVP: i'm curious... if someone wanted to purchase an annual pass today after one-day ticket sales were halted, could they?

Not Afraid: hello to you and the monkeyman;)

Eisner: Dude, capacity issues really need to be addressed. Do you realize how many guests leave the Park each day vowing never again to return after experiencing dangerously overcrowding conditions?? i dare you to exit poll this question:

Question:
How did you feel when you were crammed up against the sweaty back of a complete stranger and run over with a stroller in NOS on your visit today?

A. i loved it:rolleyes:

B. i was appalled:eek:

C. i feared for my safety:(

D. get the heck out of my way, i want out now!:mad:

E. i yammied my vegetable soup in the river:p

cstephens
12-29-2003, 05:36 PM
We were at the park all day on Sunday, and while it was certainly crowded, it didn't feel like it was at capacity, which is not to say it wasn't. We stayed inside DL only because we didn't want to go through the hassle of bag checks going into DCA and then back to DL in the evening. So when're they doing that bridge thing that one of the MP DL updates mentioned recently?

We got to the park right around noon, and the entrance gate lines weren't too long, though the lines for buying tickets were insane, as was the line at Plaza Pavilion to process APs. At about 12:45pm, my husband ran to get three of us Fastpasses for HMH, and the return time was 2:30pm. We had lunch at Carnation Cafe, which was about a 15 minute wait in line before we were seated. When we wandered over to Toontown after lunch, the line to get on the train was extremely long, back past the sign for the Fantasyland Theatre. After we rode HMH, we went to get Fastpasses for Pirates, but since the return time was 10pm when it was on 3pm, we decided not to get them. Weird that those Fastpasses were so far ahead of HMH. Both standby queues were really long.

There were crowds of people waiting for the 3:30 parade as well as the 7:45 parade. It was evidently crowded enough, though, that they announced fairly early in the day that they were adding a third showing of Fantasmic at 10:30 or 11:30, I forget which. We had dinner at Plaza Inn around 5:30, and it was a bit crowded. All the seating inside was taken, so we sat outside, which wasn't too bad with the warmers they had on.

There was the usual crush after the fireworks with all the people leaving from that and from Fantasmic. We waited out the crowds before leaving ourselves, and by the time we got to the trams, we waited through two trams before being able to board.

mandi2728
12-29-2003, 06:55 PM
to the question of park capacity last i had heard was dl was 50,000 and dca was 35,000. now dl's numbers were also based on the fact that all attractions are open and running. if they were the the sidewalks would not be so crowded. these numbers were from 3 years ago so they might have changed since.

RStar
12-29-2003, 08:58 PM
I belive "capacity" are the amount of people in the park, registered by the turnstile clicks. But do they also take the low ride capacity into account I wonder?

This would have a large part in the "guest experience". And in which case if they did, then capacity should be at least 25% lower than five years ago.

But I bet it's a fire safty issue, and purely a number of bodies in the gate.

Pirate Girl
12-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by MickeyLumbo
are there people that actually ENJOY when the Park is filled to capacity?

I love to go then, find a nice bench, sit back and watch people get flustered.

Morrigoon
12-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Park hit capacity again today. It was horrid.