PDA

View Full Version : Refurb walls in Tomorrowland fall, resulting in minor injuries to 5 persons

Darkbeer
12-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Tonight, (Christmas Day), due to high winds, the refurb walls around the Circlevision Theater/Buzz Lightyear area fell down, causing minor injuries to 5 guests.

MonorailMan
12-25-2003, 08:41 PM
Evil land, u are dommed. ;)

Loric
12-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Umm, ouch?

You can't realy blame the walls, the indenticle ones are used at all kinds of parks from the various companys.

Saw one at Busch Garden on Sunday, and one at Universal Studios on Monday.

Prolly needed to be weighed down, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Loric
12-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Oo! Did anyone take advantage of the situation and take pictures of whatever is going on inside?

Sorry, had to be the first one to ask since I know someone will.

Darkbeer
12-25-2003, 09:29 PM
The walls we are talking about are usually supported on the back side with a triangle type support, with sand bags on the support.

Looks like the winds were stronger than the weights... more than likely a change will be made (off the top of my head, adding a cable type support between the walls for example)....

Glad nobody got seriously hurt, as for photos, the accident happened after dark, and most of the information I have been getting have been from CM's.....

RStar
12-25-2003, 09:49 PM
To begin with, I have a real hard time believing this. Sorry Darkbeer.

But what would five people be doing in Tomorrowland any way?

:D ;)

I do hope everyone is OK.

I had Christmas decorations and things flying all over myself (a few blocks away from DL), so I'm not surprised.

Not Afraid
12-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by RStar
To begin with, I have a real hard time believing this. Sorry Darkbeer.

But what would five people be doing in Tomorrowland any way?

OK, Bob. You had me there. A little Tomorrowland humor to top off our holiday, huh?:fez:

Re the accident: Acts of God are often a big part of indemnification agreements for a reason. These things happen. It's good no one was seriously hurt.

RStar
12-25-2003, 10:09 PM
It's the turkey I tell ya'! Makes me Goofy, or Dopey, or maybe even a little Tinked!

Merry Christmas Lisa! And to all a good night!

SoCalDisneyLover
12-26-2003, 03:54 AM
Was DL relatively empty on Christmas Day this year? I assume they cancelled the Fireworks, because that had been one of the reasons we had previously planned to go there. At least the winds were not that bad, down here in South OC.

Darkbeer
12-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Rare storm brings high winds (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=73362) - Orange County Register, 12/26/03

QuikQuote: Thursday, winds gusted to 72 mph above the Anaheim Hills and over 30 mph near Disneyland, where three patrons suffered minor injuries about 4 p.m. when winds blew over an 8-foot-tall, 120-foot- long construction fence near the Star Tours attraction, said Disney spokesman Bob Tucker.
They were treated for minor cuts and scrapes and released from UCI Medical Center on Thursday night, a Fire Department supervisor said.

tracilicious
12-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

Re the accident: Acts of God are often a big part of indemnification agreements for a reason. These things happen. It's good no one was seriously hurt.

well, it's about time that God start telling disney what he thinks of tomorrowland! :fez:

Not Afraid
12-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by tracilicious
well, it's about time that God start telling disney what he thinks of tomorrowland! :fez:

Here here! Let's just hope they "Believe".;)

Morrigoon
12-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Hey Anaheim, thanks for the bleepin' wind! How'm I supposed to drive home through the desert in this, I ask ya? Sheesh, it was supposed to RAIN today, not blow!

DisneyFan25863
12-26-2003, 01:05 PM
It's a sign. This attraction be doomed.

merlinjones
12-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Walt's ghost wants "a great big beautful tomorrow" back, and he wants it now!

Better get those subs open...

Bruce Bergman
12-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Hey Anaheim, thanks for the bleepin' wind! How'm I supposed to drive home through the desert in this, I ask ya? Sheesh, it was supposed to RAIN today, not blow!

Y'know, depending on the wind direction and the intended direction of travel, there are those who wouldn't complain about the wind, just put up more sails and save gas.

But I think the CHP would have some valid concerns if I tried to rig a Spinnaker on my Work Van... :eek:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

cstephens
12-29-2003, 09:49 AM
When we walked by the walls yesterday, I noticed that one of the round "imagineering a new attraction" signs had a chip taken out of one side. I'm guessing that's the part of the wall that fell.

sandiegomouse
12-29-2003, 09:41 PM
I have pictures of inside the building! Will try and post them soon.