PDA

View Full Version : Fires in Fantasmic.

karl
12-24-2003, 05:42 PM
In another thread, TheatreTech wrote...

"Okay, tonite (12/23), my sister and I had perfect seats for Fantasmic at 10:30. In the middle of the river and I had a trash can to lean against. I was happy. Fantasmic went fine, up until the middle of the dragon. I noticed flashing lights, I turn around, and as everyone is in a trance with the show, there is the DL Fire Truck driving down to the Blue Bayou and Club 33. Fantasmic stopped and the announcment, "Due to circumstances beyond our control, this performance of Fantasmic...." [end show here]"

On a related topic not that of the original message thread...

There are unplanned fires and other issues that come up in the actual show Fantasmic.

For example, one night I was entertained listening to show control coordinate stage techs extinguishing a fire in a stage box accidently set by the dragon. Of course the audience is distracted by the vibrantly lit "Mark Twain"; not noticing the figures in black running about the stage to the left. The calls to clear the stage before the pyro is set are evident in such communication.

Then of course there is the show control software crash, usually right during the spoken introduction - the software evidently being restarted and re-time-sync'd to the show clock before the pitules (spelling? otherwise known as the beams of light) are fired. Anybody have details? Is it really a blue screen on the NT box upstairs on the 4th floor of NOS?

Not that I recommend listening to show control, but after enough times of watching Fantasmic (including producing your very own personal 3-camera video on an editing station) - listening to the show people coordinate a complicated show and critique performances can have its own fun value.

Someday I'll talk more about listening to the 1:30 am show rehearsals "Drive-in Fantasmic" from the hotel parking lot.... another time. Yes, they are live rehearsals, pyro and all.

Anyway, the fire in NOS Story reminded me of some of those show incidents.

Anybody else have stories?