PDA

View Full Version : Fire in NOS?

TheatreTech
12-24-2003, 12:03 AM
Okay, tonite (12/23), my sister and I had perfect seats for Fantasmic at 10:30. In the middle of the river and I had a trash can to lean against. I was happy. Fantasmic went fine, up until the middle of the dragon. I noticed flashing lights, I turn around, and as everyone is in a trance with the show, there is the DL Fire Truck driving down to the Blue Bayou and Club 33. Fantasmic stopped and the announcment, "Due to circumstances beyond our control, this performance of Fantasmic...." [end show here]

So, I, wanting to know what is going on, quickly maneuver myself (and dragging my sis) toward the Royal Street Veranda before crowd control could push us out into Adventureland. We were not allowed to get any closer. They were evacuating the Blue Bayou. So we sat at a table next to Le Bat en Rouge. They tried to get the family in front of us to leave the area, but they claimed they were waiting for children to exit POTC. To avoid being forced out, I acted as though we were their children because nobody was going to mess with this lady. (She was not moving until she was with her children.)

The Blue Bayou was now emptied and Security could be seen walking in Club 33 through the windows. I turned around and the entire NOS area was empy. People weren't forced out, they were just confused and moved like cattle toward the park exit. After a few minutes, the fire truck left the area and we were let into the area. The shops opened their doors again and business went on as if nothing had happened.

From what I saw, I'm guessing (my observations mind you) that there was a minor kitchen fire in the Blue Bayou/Club 33 kitchen. The fire (if one existed) was put out before the truck got there because nothing on the truck was ever used/unloaded. I also assume kitched fire because the Blue Bayou was evacuated, but POTC continued to run. (and we rode POTC after to check things out)

That's all I saw, was anyone else there? CMs who were there?

blusilva
12-24-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by TheatreTech
They were evacuating the Blue Bayou. So we sat at a table next to Le Bat en Rouge. They tried to get the family in front of us to leave the area, but they claimed they were waiting for children to exit POTC. To avoid being forced out, I acted as though we were their children because nobody was going to mess with this lady. (She was not moving until she was with her children.)

Your actions could have greatly impeded the work of the emergency personnel in the area, possibly putting lives in danger. Including yours and your sister's.

Nephythys
12-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
Your actions could have greatly impeded the work of the emergency personnel in the area, possibly putting lives in danger. Including yours and your sister's.

ah, unreasonable guilt. Nothing like a surprise gift during the holidays!:rolleyes:

I agree that you should stay out of the way of emergency personnel, but it sounds to me like they were not under foot at all.

TheatreTech
12-24-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by blusilva

I can see your concern, but I would never get in the way of emergency personal of put any lives in danger. We were out of the blocked off areas and a few other lookieloos were around us. We were at the tables under the balcony. They had it roped off after that point.

Ghoulish Delight
12-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Nephythys
ah, unreasonable guilt. Nothing like a surprise gift during the holidays!:rolleyes:
Unreasonable? I don't think so. I'm sorry, but I agree with blusilva here. TT had no way of knowing the extent of the situation. There were people there attempting to do a job, that job being getting people clear of an emergency situation. TT was preventing them from accomplishing that just to satisfy his curiosity. That's selfish and dangerous.

and a few other lookieloos were around usOoooh! Other people were doing it! THAT makes it okay. :rolleyes:

If you feel like I'm jumping down your throat for something minor....good. Because I don't consider it minor. Yes, in this situation it turned out not to be an issue. However, in an emergency situation, ESPECIALLY in a sitauation as crowded and potentially disorganized as NOS during the holidays, it's vitally important to follow the instructions of those in charge who know what's going on, no matter how safe it APPEARS from your vantage point. Because if you're wrong, lives could be at stake.

TheatreTech
12-24-2003, 09:12 AM
I think maybe I didn't explain what was going on in the area enough. Although the stores had closed (which was probably because you can walk from one to the next into where they were they didn't want you.) The table we were at was for Royal Street Veranda and they were still serving food. There was a line and people being given their food. Everything was calm at this reatruant, people were sitting around eating. Crowd control was not evacuating the area. Fantasmic was over and people wanted to leave, that is why crowd control was there. (and if I were ever asked to leave or step back there would have been no arguement) The CMs in the area were calmly talking and clearing a path for the truck to exit. It was my thinking that if the resturant was still open, I would be out of the way in the resturant sitting area. Although, if the situation were to happen again, I would also have been cattle and moved on into Advenrureland.

EDIT

smd4
12-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Scientists have created computer models of peoples' actions when there is a fire or other emergency. These animations are amazing to watch. Most folks tend to run for the hills upon learing of a hazard. Some mill around in confusion. And for every fire in a crowded bar or theater or any other venue, there is ALWAYS a certain percentage of folks who head TOWARDS the impending disaster!

Of course, in truly bad situations, these people seldom make it out alive...

Anthony
12-24-2003, 10:12 AM
I have been in EMS (Emergency Medical Services) for over nine years, so please allow me to say that WE CANNOT STAND RUBBER NECKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is an incident going on, then everyone needs to leave the area for several reasons.

1. (and my biggest reason) RESPECT!!! When someone's house or property is burning down, or worse yet-someone is sick or injured, they are already not having a great day. No one that I meet while on shift is having a good day, that is why it is an emergency. I hate it when we are cutting someones clothes off, or pushing drugs, etc. and there are people standing around watching, with no purpose. Have respect, for next time that person being invaded with our needles, drugs, tubing, could well be you. How would you feel if crowds of people were standing around hoping to get a glimpse of your misery.

2. SAFETY. There is a good reason that as humans we have the 'flight or fight' instinct. Don't ignore it. If there is something going on, calmly gather your belongings and leave. If you must know what happened, then find out later. I cannot tell you how many times I have been on scenes where nosy people were watching an event and they too became victims. The last thing we need are more people to work on. Think about it, there were dozens of people killed on September 11th, only because they had to stand around the building and watch or (worse yet) film the disaster. As for the aforementioned BB incident there are enough attractions at DLR that you don' t need to be in the mix.

You might note that of all the equipment on Emergency Response vehicles, there is not a fastpass machine on the rig. I wonder why.... Oh yah, cus it is NOT an attraction...

Freerider127
12-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Its actually quite scary in those kinds of situations. On New Years
Eve for example its extremely crowded lets just say a bomb went off or there was a fire and people started to panic, now this situation is possible if a kid thinks hes funny and starts these crackle things that they throw people get freaked out and panic in all these situations, 99.9 percent of the people will try to run for the to Main Street to exit the park not knowing theres really other exits in case of emergencys and they dont cooperate with security because they are panicked. All this adds up to is people getting trampled as weve seen in night clubs when theres a fire but everyone heads to the main exit not thinking about the rear exit. The best thing to do in this situation is put your self against a wall and just let the crowds pass you by or get in a good location where you are not in the way of crowds.

timl33
12-24-2003, 11:46 AM
I remember reading reports about people going to take a look at Mt. St. Helens before it erupted, despite the fact that nearby cities and parks were being evacuated. There was a story of one dead guy they found, covered in ash, with his camera still held up to his eye.

Darwin award, anyone?

Originally posted by smd4
Scientists have created computer models of peoples' actions when there is a fire or other emergency. These animations are amazing to watch. Most folks tend to run for the hills upon learing of a hazard. Some mill around in confusion. And for every fire in a crowded bar or theater or any other venue, there is ALWAYS a certain percentage of folks who head TOWARDS the impending disaster!

Of course, in truly bad situations, these people seldom make it out alive...

DisneyFan25863
12-24-2003, 12:00 PM
If Disneyland Security was up there, it could have been a Bomb threat.

Darren
12-24-2003, 12:41 PM
All this talk about the goodness or badness of rubbernecking is a bit off the mark for me. What happened in NOS?

NirvanaMan
12-24-2003, 08:42 PM
The poor guy just asked a question and everyone jumped all over him, in the meantime making all kinds of assumptions about a situation that they were not in. Next time TT, might be best to leave out the details and just get to the question, lest have everyone pick apart the non-essential details of your question.

:)

MonorailMan
12-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Last I recalled, the goal of a discussion, is to talk about the subject, which in this case is:

Fire in NOS?
:D

Loric
12-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Maybe it was a trashcan... those things do catch on fire fairly often.

spaced mountain guy
12-25-2003, 09:07 PM
from what I heard from a Fantasmic cast member later that night was that it was a medical emergency.

luvndisneyland
12-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Hmm We were leaving the park getting the kids food at mcdonalds when we saw a firetruck go in thru the employee area and were wondering what was going on.

sleepyjeff
12-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by timl33
I remember reading reports about people going to take a look at Mt. St. Helens before it erupted, despite the fact that nearby cities and parks were being evacuated. There was a story of one dead guy they found, covered in ash, with his camera still held up to his eye.

Darwin award, anyone?

The man you are referring to was a volcanologist named David Johnston. He was partly responsible for getting the government to delcare a evacuation(just the day before)........he helped save several hundred lives. He is no more a poster boy for the "Darwin award" than any fireman dying doing his job.

:crying:

PS: His pictures survived and are the very best pictures of the volcanic blast.

LFuzzy
12-28-2003, 09:33 PM
It was not as bad as originally thought. The AFD was called in, but by the time they got there, the 904 was cancelled.

-LF

SweetAurora
12-28-2003, 10:04 PM
When exactly was this, again? I know there were two separate "904's" recently. One involved the heavy and low marine layer one night, which blended with the smoke from the fireworks and started filling up the inside of the Haunted Mansion. Panicked CM'S called a 904, not knowing where the smoke was coming from.

The one you're talking about may have been the rumored Blue Bayou kitchen fire. I haven't been to work in a while--I'll have to ask again and see what was up.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Love and Laughter!

sneekin-in
12-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
The man you are referring to was a volcanologist named David Johnston. He was partly responsible for getting the government to delcare a evacuation(just the day before)........he helped save several hundred lives. He is no more a poster boy for the "Darwin award" than any fireman dying doing his job.

sleepyjeff i agree with you 100%, but your response seems to
have alittle edge to it ( not exactly flying under the radar ).
I knew you had it in you.:p

timl33
12-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Okay. I take back my comment about the Darwin Award. He saved hundreds of lives and was a volcanologist studying the situation. That means he, more than anyone else, should have known the dangers of the situation. I still don't think he should have risked his life merely for pictures, but that's just me.

The article I read in reader's digest said that he was a tourist. That's where I got my information from. I should know better than to trust Reader's Digest.

Originally posted by sleepyjeff

Nephythys
12-29-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Unreasonable? I don't think so. I'm sorry, but I agree with blusilva here. TT had no way of knowing the extent of the situation. There were people there attempting to do a job, that job being getting people clear of an emergency situation. TT was preventing them from accomplishing that just to satisfy his curiosity. That's selfish and dangerous.

Ooooh! Other people were doing it! THAT makes it okay. :rolleyes:

If you feel like I'm jumping down your throat for something minor....good. Because I don't consider it minor. Yes, in this situation it turned out not to be an issue. However, in an emergency situation, ESPECIALLY in a sitauation as crowded and potentially disorganized as NOS during the holidays, it's vitally important to follow the instructions of those in charge who know what's going on, no matter how safe it APPEARS from your vantage point. Because if you're wrong, lives could be at stake.

Let me clarify that I thought that based on the OP, it was unreasonable to think that their presence at that time would mean someone's death.

I said I agree that you need to stay out of the way of emergency crews and I hate rubbernecks too, especially on the highway. Heck, unless there is a head rolling about I need to avoid I do not stop to look.

Unless we are there at the time and can speak from firsthand experience, I guess I still find it unreasonable to make someone feel that they could have cause someones death, otherwise I agree with you-