PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report

Lost Boy
12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Yesterday was a very special day for me. 25 years ago I took the little brother of a very good friend of mine on his first trip to Disneyland. He was 8 years old and it was Christmas time. We have become very close friends over the years (in fact, I consider him my little brother, and he considers me the big brother he always wanted). 25 years ago I drove him and paid for his admitance and food. Yesterday the roles reversed. He drove me, paid for a 2 day pass for me (he has an annual pass) so we could enjoy both Parks, and paid for lunch and The Blue Bayou and a quck dinne at Burger Invasion at DCA. The reason for all this, was that even though we have both been to Disneyland many times over the last 25 years, we have never been to the Park together at Christmas, and only one other time during the normal time of year. We had a great time and it was a full day from opening to closing.

Now, about the things that are going on at Disneyland. First of all neither Park was what I could call Packed during the day. That happened at night for the Parade and Fireworks. So we got to go on the rides we wanted too (HM Holiday, Small World Holliday, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (and yes, Toad is still missing), California Screamin' and Malliboomer). We also saw Aladdin, which he had never seen. Everything the Parks looked great. New paint is appearing evereywhere. The trashcans look new. Every attraction was working to perfection. The food at Blue Bayou was excellent. The Christmas Parade was too short. The Fireworks where fantastic. And we even made it over for Fantasmic! after the Fireworks.

We went and sat at Coke Corner to listen to Rod. I have known Rod for many years, but I haven't been to the Park in over 6 months. After hugging and all the greeting stuff, I asked Rod what he thought of the new regime at the Park. With a big smile, Rod said he loved the change and that Matt had come by and spent 20 minutes sitting and listening to him play and watching the crowd around him. After the set Matt came over and spoke to him telling how great he was and let's go talk. So they went over under the trees and talked business. Rod said that one of the things Matt spoke of was the Restraunt behind them that had been closed for years and now has the AP processing in it. One of Matt's first goals is to get that opened again as a Restaraunt. He is very upset with all the closed buildings and attarctions and his goal is to get that changed as soon as possible. I also noticed a big chance in Castmember appearance and attitude. They are all smiling again, giving the old Disney Magic service and just being the best they can be. I always respect every Castmember and last night was wonderful to see.

I said in an ealier thread that I was so upset with the way that Pressler and Harris had treated the Park that I wouldn't go back until things changed. Well, things have changed, and for the better. We had a great day yesteday and I am once again going to Disneyland. Yea!!:D

wendybeth
12-22-2003, 07:09 PM
It sounds like you had a great time, and it's really nice to hear that things are on the mend at DL! I have to admit, so far I'm pretty impressed by Matt- he seems to be a keeper. I get to go in April, and I am looking forward to seeing all the improvements!:cool:

Lost Boy
12-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Right now it's just like Al said. Its the small stuff. Like the clean and undented trash cans. The Cast Members who look like Disney Look Cast Members. The place is just clean and bright and sparkly.

I also forgot to mention that while we were sitting waiting for Fantasmic to start, we met a man wearing one of those $1,000 fiber optic jackets. It was the one from the milinium with the year 2000 in color changing lights and lots of motion and fireworks going off over the castle. He mentioned that next year a new one goes on sale that will be for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary and it will have more lights and motion and programing than any previous jackets. I guess I wlll have to start saving for this one now.:D

CoasterMatt
12-23-2003, 04:51 AM
Nice TR Lost Boy! It was nice to meet you at the park, and I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience.

Have fun

foolofatook
12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the report; it really made me smile and I had to call my fiance and read it over the phone to him!

When we were at Disney over the weekend of the 13th, I went through our 4 days there in a complete Just-Proposed-To haze, but I do remember noticing that there were no burned out lights on Main Street - something I've disappointedly noted in recent years. I also noticed the improved moods of the CMs, both at the attractions (PotC in particular) and at the restaurants. Their efforts and good attitudes can really make a Disney trip special and they certainly did for us. :)

mystycalchyk
12-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I also forgot to mention that while we were sitting waiting for Fantasmic to start, we met a man wearing one of those $1,000 fiber optic jackets. It was the one from the milinium with the year 2000 in color changing lights and lots of motion and fireworks going off over the castle. He mentioned that next year a new one goes on sale that will be for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary and it will have more lights and motion and programing than any previous jackets. I guess I wlll have to start saving for this one now.:D

Please forgive me, I dont want to hijack this thread. But if you could PM me with any information on this I would be forever in your debt. My husband has wanted one of those since he first saw one a few years ago. If there's one gift that I know he would love that would be it. Is there a place where I can get on waiting list for one? Any information would be so so so appreciated.

Lost Boy
12-23-2003, 03:18 PM
I am answering this way because I can't seem to get the PM thing to work. Everytime I try to use it my computer freezes and I have to restart it.

Anyway, I really don't know any more than what I wrote. I wanted to talk to him after the show, but he was gone when I turned around. I do know that every one of the 5 fiber optic jackets are very limited in production and are sold at the Park. I don't know if Guest Information could be of help, or merchandising might know something. His daughter works there so that's how he got his. I wish I knew more as I want one of the 50th anniversary ones myself.

mystycalchyk
12-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Thanks Lost Boy, I will be there starting tomorrow :fez:

*cant wait cant wait cant wait!*

I will ask, Im sure they will know at the gallery, as I highly doubt they will have them in, say, the Emporium ;)

It's just good enough for me to at least have the heads up and know that they are going to be making them again. I told my husband about it last night and he almost started frothing at the mouth :D

spectromen
12-29-2003, 10:24 AM
And all this time I thought those fiber optic jackets were homemade, LOL! Wow, a 50th anniversary one - better start saving or selling stuff on ebay!

HOORAY for the possible return of Plaza Pavilion!!! Now, if only Matt can get the burger/ice cream stands rebuilt in Carnation Gardens...even on a smaller scale, I'd take it..

disneylandia
12-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Re: the $1000 fiber optic jackets. The only place I saw them on sale was The Disney Gallery. So I suggest all who are interested (and have the cash) give them a call. They used to have a mailing list for special events & merchandise. Perhaps they'll send out notices for this.

cstephens
12-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by disneylandia
Re: the $1000 fiber optic jackets. The only place I saw them on sale was The Disney Gallery. So I suggest all who are interested (and have the cash) give them a call. They used to have a mailing list for special events & merchandise. Perhaps they'll send out notices for this.

I believe they were available at Disneyana as well.