PDA

View Full Version : No food shipping?

prudence
12-22-2003, 07:38 AM
I was at Disneyland last week and attempted to purchase a large number of items (for Christmas presents) at World of Disney. That in itself was an ordeal, as it took THREE employees to ring up an order for out of state shipping and involved returning all the times TWICE because of employee errors. Ringing up took the better part of an hour. But I digress.

One of the employees asked the manager, who had finally come out to help, if there would be any problem shipping the food items. He said no. However, I just got a call from Disney saying that they are NOT shipping the food items we bought because they lack a license to do so.

Is this some new policy? What the heck? I didn't see this posted anywhere, the manager specifically told us it was okay, and now suddenly they're not shipping the items we picked out. So now we have to go Christmas shopping again and find something else. If we'd known we couldn't ship food we would have brought it back with us. We just shipped everything because the employees didn't want to be bothered by ringing up two separate orders.

Did I totally miss the boat here? Is this some long-standing policy I've missed?

AVP
12-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by prudence
Is this some long-standing policy I've missed? It seems to be hit-or-miss, because I know someone who has Mickey tortilla chips shipped to him all the time. I know they can't ship fresh foods, like fudge and caramel apples.

AVP

cirquelover
12-22-2003, 07:56 AM
We have never been allowed to ship food home and we have tried! Trying to bring home Mickey tortilla chips without breaking them is a challenge:D

millionairegirl
12-22-2003, 08:06 AM
In Epcot I purchased some Gummy Bears from the German Pavillion, and they would not ship them back to our resort. I guess because they didn't want to be responsible for melted Gummies. Now what about wine? If you purchased a bottle of wine in one of the stores would they ship it for you? I would not want to lug it around!

prudence
12-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Is this policy posted anywhere? I'm most annoyed because the manager SAID that the food we had was okay because it wasn't perishable. If we had been told we couldn't have it shipped, of course we would have carried it home ourselves. It is extremely poor customer service to take someone's money, work up a shipping order, and then not tell them until they get home that oh, by the way, we can't ship what you bought. And then the things they already shipped are useless and we don't want them any more! One gift was to be Disney coffee and a mug. Well, now we can't have the coffee. Why would we want the mug? We rather have all the money back and buy a useable gift the recipient will enjoy. The recipient will not enjoy a mug and regular coffee. That's just one example of the dozen or so people we bought gifts for. Now I'll have to pay to ship everything back as a return. This is so irritating. I certainly won't be making any purchases when we go next time!

justagrrl
12-22-2003, 08:31 AM
I would phone the company, ask for customer service - and explain what happened and what you want to happen now. (i.e. they take everything pack and pay for shipping due to their error.)

If/when they say no - ask to speak to a manager.

Rinse and repeat.

Hopefully sooner rather then later, you will find a person with the authority to grant you that.

If not, write them a letter, cc it to several important people and make sure you make the comment about shopping with them in the future because they can't be counted on for accurate information.

Works with other companies. Should work with them too.

danyoung
12-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by millionairegirl
In Epcot I purchased some Gummy Bears from the German Pavillion, and they would not ship them back to our resort. I guess because they didn't want to be responsible for melted Gummies.

I would guess that a bag of Gummy Bears would fall below the minimum purchase that Disney has officially or unofficially set for room delivery. If they didn't, next thing you know someone would purchase a Snickers bar and want it room delivered.

cirquelover
12-22-2003, 11:05 AM
They told us up front that we could not ship food home and had to ring it up as two separate purchases which takes twice as long:(
I can understand your frustration and have to agree with you. I would call them up and see what they say, they are usually pretty accomadating.
Good luck!

prudence
12-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Well, we've arrived at a sort of solution. I don't blame the poor woman who's had to deal with me. It's certainly not her fault. And it's not the fault of the original cashier (although she did cause the whole shipping screw-up and delay), as she did ask her manager or supervisor or whomever if the food was okay because she thought it wasn't. I blame the manager/supervisor/whomever who not only sat and watched the employee screw up and didn't help out until she specifically asked for it (nothing like setting your underlings up for public humilitation!) and who also okayed the food shipping. He's the one I blame and boy do I wish I'd thought to get his name.

Anyhow, they're going to ship the color-change cocoa and the coffee, which were the most important items anyhow as they were deliberately selected for particular people. The other items were mostly extras and stocking stuffers, so I'm not worried about them.

And, they've refunded the total shipping charges for the entire order, some $65 worth of shipping.

So, in the end I'm happy with the resolution, but I'm not happy that the situation happened. And that will be in my letter to the company.