PDA

View Full Version : Disney California Adventure Park Fun Pass debuts at Costco

AVP
09-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Costco stores last week debuted a new Disney California Adventure Park Fun Pass, a new type of annual passport that is valid only at Disney California Adventure. The pass is $329.99, the same price as the existing Disney Southern California Select Passport that also includes admission to Disneyland.

The new Costco pass comes with 19 blockout dates during the remainder of 2016, and 41 blockout dates through December 1, 2017. Those 60 combined blockout dates most closely resemble those of the existing Deluxe Annual Passport, and cover the peak Thanksgiving, Christnas and New Year travel periods, plus most holiday weekends, and every Saturday between March 13 and August 19.

By comparison, the Southern California Select Passport has just over 200 blockout dates during the same period, including all Saturdays and Sundays, and 10 solid weeks over the summer.

The Disney California Adventure Park Fun Pass also includes the same 10% merchandise and food discount as offered with the Southern California Select Passport. Like that pass, the new DCA pass does not include parking, nor is there an option to add a parking pass onto this ticket. The new Fun Pass also includes a Disney collector pin featuring Ariel and the DCA logo.

For prospective passholders, this new pass offers an intersting choice. Buyers willing to forgoe admission to Disneyland can have almost twice as many valid dates to visit Disney California Adventure. Those who really want access to Disneyland can opt for the more restrictive SoCal passport, or pay almost twice as much for the Disney Deluxe Passport with far fewer blockout dates.

If you're looking to buy this as a holiday gift, please note that the pass expires one year after the first use, and the first use must be by December 1, 2016. That doesn't necessarily rule it out as a stocking stuffer, but Christmas will have to come very early so your recipient can activate the pass before the deadline.

The Disneyland passholder website (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/) does not list the blockout dates for the Costco-exclusive Disney California Adventure Park Fun Pass. The blockout dates are as follows:

2016 – September 3, 4; November 11, 24, 25, 26; December 19–31
2017 – January 1, 2; February 18, 19; March 18, 25; April 1, 8, 9, 14, 15, 22, 29; May 6, 13, 20, 26, 27, 28; June 3, 10, 17, 24; July 1-4, 8, 15, 22, 29; August 5, 12, 19; September 2, l 3; November 10, 11, 23, 24, 25.

The pass is available only at Costco stores and from Costco.com (http://www.costco.com/Disney-California-Adventure-Park-Fun-Pass-and-Collector-Pin.product.100310108.html). This is not a member-exclusive item, and in our test the Costco website did not add a surcharge when the pass was purchased by a non-member. The pass is mailed in 5-7 business days, though a 2-day shipping option is available at an added charge.

danyoung
09-06-2016, 08:09 AM
I don't understand this pass. It'll be interesting to see if it sells at all.

3Princesses1Prince
09-06-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't understand this pass. It'll be interesting to see if it sells at all.

I'm thinking the same thing. If I loved DLR enough to spend this amount of money, I couldn't be across the way from the main park and not go!

jswtsang
09-06-2016, 01:40 PM
My sister sent me a link to this but I too could not forgo Disneyland for extra possible visits. The one thing is, someone was mentioning to me how CA adventure might be better for the little ones who are familiar with cars and can play in the bugs life area. She was saying how her grandson might like CA adventure better than Disneyland since he hadn't seen any of the old movies that she loved. It will be interesting if those kinds of folks buy that type of pass.

sjhanksaz
09-07-2016, 08:00 AM
It would be interesting to find out how many of these they actually sell.

Berry Princess
09-07-2016, 09:00 PM
So far I have only seen 1 person on another board say they bought the pass. Since you have to be part of Costco to even buy it, that is what will be really make it interesting to see how it sells.

3Princesses1Prince
09-07-2016, 09:00 PM
So far I have only seen 1 person on another board say they bought the pass. Since you have to be part of Costco to even buy it, that is what will be really make it interesting to see how it sells.

No you can purchase it online without a membership

Berry Princess
09-07-2016, 09:17 PM
No you can purchase it online without a membership

I did see that after I said that but the fact is still its being sold by Costco only. So unless someone finds out from boards like this, friends or shops in Costco they may not know about it. Still wonder though how it will sell. I know my husband said it wasn't a bad deal but I am one of those that would hear the call of DL and want to be over there. LOL Which his response was you could always buy a day ticket once or twice in the year. But for someone like him that hates the crowds in DL, that might be the option.....as long as they enjoy DCA that is and what it has to offer.