PDA

View Full Version : No Tim Burton - No Danny Elfman for Oct 3rd Event

Pages : [1] 2

Gandalf
09-27-2001, 08:29 PM
Disneyland has stated that Tim Burton and Danny Elfman will no longer be available for the Oct 3rd Event due to scheduling conflicts. I wonder if it's because like other entertainers they feel that it is inappropriate to be out and about right now. Hopefully it doesn't have anything to do with security reasons that Al Lutz was covering. Celebrities have enough problems day-to-day just trying to eat at restaurants. I'm really disappointed that they won't be there, it was the main reason I was going.

Morrigoon
09-27-2001, 08:38 PM
One wonders if Disney will refund the money for those guests who bought tix specifically to hear burton speak (and more importantly, will they make those tix availible to the rest of us!)

Gandalf
09-27-2001, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure how Disney will be handling this, but I think there wasn't anything that they could do about. There has also been talk that a few subcontractors have not received all the NBC trimmings that Disney needs to complete their HM redo project. What with all the delivery routes snarled, this must be a real problem for DLR. There is going to be some burning of the midnight oil for them to have the mansion close to being ready for the event. This is definitely going to be a giant headache for Disney. I wonder if any of the $200 dinner tickets are going to be available now? I hope the October 5th opening of the mansion doesn't get postponed. That's going to be a big weekend for Disney coffers (I hope). If they have the NBC version at about 80% redone I think the public will be happy with it.

Nigel2
09-27-2001, 09:35 PM
You have to admit that bites the big one for all those people. But odds are the ones that are only there for the merchandise and junk are going to have a hissy fit over them not being there in the hopes that they can get something for free or cheaper.

AVP
09-27-2001, 10:47 PM
Here is the official announcement from Disney. I will be calling tomorrow to see how they are handling cancellations and the like.

I don't think it's fair to say people will be throwing "hissy fits" over this in an effort to get "free stuff". I think people will be upset because they have paid money to attend an event, and two of the three keynote speakers will not be there. "Free Stuff isn't the issue. While I still think Steve Davison is enough reason to attend this event, I imagine not everyone will feel that way.

Please, let's see what REALLY happens before we start attacking the anticipated behavior of people who haven't even heard the news yet.

AVP

Begin Announcement:

We've had some changes beyond our control in the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Evening event. We were notified yesterday that Tim Burton and Danny Elfman are unable to participate in the panel discussion due to last minute
scheduling conflicts. We are currently researching the availability of other panel participants to join Steve Davison, Henry Selick and Chris Sarandon.

While we regret having to share this news with you, our excitement is building every day as we watch the amazing transformation that is taking place at the Haunted Mansion. We have no doubt that you will enjoy your evening with us despite this news, but should you have any questions or
concerns, please call 1-866-247-1203.

Nigel2
09-27-2001, 10:51 PM
After some collectors reactions to pins being released early or not at all nothing would surprise me.

MickeyD
09-27-2001, 11:00 PM
Hey, I'll admit to being extemely disappointed. Seeing one of my all time favorite musicians on a panel was definitely one of the deciding factors for me going to this event. And if I had paid for my ticket, (my boyfriend bought the tickets) I would be looking into getting my money back and not attending. Say whatever you want about me, but I was really looking forward to Danny Elfman being there.

blusilva
09-27-2001, 11:48 PM
OK, I feel like crying now.

I spent SIX HOURS trying to get tickets to this thing, just because I wanted to hear Danny Elfman and Tim Burton speak. I was SO HAPPY to get them because that's all I really cared about. I never was doing this for the merch or even to get to ride the attraction a "whole" two days early.

*sigh*

Nigel2
09-28-2001, 12:15 AM
I wonder what they are going to do, free tickets to Disneyland for later? That would be silly since most APs don't need them. Refund? Nah, the event isn't completely cancelled, plus there is probably a clause about speakers backing out without notice. Any ideas?

steamboatStu
09-28-2001, 06:03 AM
Now I don't feel so bad. I received my notice of this event far later than the APs did. Therefore when I called it had long since been sold out. I too was only interested in attending so as to meet Danny Elfman and Tim Burton.

Before NBC was released, a promotional show was performed at the ShoWest in Vegas. My wife was attending since her father produced the low voltage lighting seen along the aisleways in movie theaters. She mentioned to me upon her return that some guy with a terrific voice sang some songs from that upcoming movie. She had the opportunity to chat with him but didn't really know who he was. Well that's my Danny Elfman story - seems I will always be just a step too late in my quest to meet the man.

09-28-2001, 06:16 AM
If it sounds like you ticket-holders (and Disney Co., too) got shafted, you did.

Whatever happened to "the show must go on"?

mcampisi
09-28-2001, 07:11 AM
For me that would have been one of the main reason I wanted to get tickets. Guess I'm kind of glad I wasn't able to now, especially if the mansion isn't at least 75% complete by the preview.

AVP
09-28-2001, 08:41 AM
For those who have written me, here is the "official" announcement from Disney, along with the phone number where you can call to get more information:

We've had some changes beyond our control in the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Evening event. We were notified yesterday that Tim Burton and Danny Elfman are unable to participate in the panel discussion due to last minute scheduling conflicts. We are currently researching the availability of other panel participants to join Steve Davison, Henry Selick and Chris Sarandon.

While we regret having to share this news with you, our excitement is building every day as we watch the amazing transformation that is taking place at the Haunted Mansion. We have no doubt that you will enjoy your evening with us despite this news, but should you have any questions or concerns, please call 1-866-247-1203.

Karin
09-28-2001, 09:09 AM
Regarding the statement Disney made about "scheduling conflicts", this very well might be true.

My boyfriend was a cameraman on "Planet of the Apes", directed by Tim Burton. He just told me that "Apes" is beginning to open worldwide in the near future and that it's quite possible that Mr. Burton needs to be at the premieres in other countries to help promote it.

blusilva
09-28-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by steamboatStu
Now I don't feel so bad. I received my notice of this event far later than the APs did. Therefore when I called it had long since been sold out. I too was only interested in attending so as to meet Danny Elfman and Tim Burton.

Actually, I'm an AP and never got a notice for this event. I read about it all here on Mouseplanet and went out of my way to get tickets for it. I think that's because it's a "merchandising" event, not an "AP" event. Premium APs got a discount on a single ticket, but that was the extent of the break.

And if the attraction isn't even going to be 100% ready, then really, why did I pay $65 to get in to Disneyland? I already friggin' have PAID to get in to Disneyland.

I'm not interested in seeing Chris Sarandon or Henry Selick. I already saw them speak at the NBC showing at the El Capitan a couple of years ago. Paid for it THEN too.

So what it boils down to is I'm paying for the priviledge of having first crack at paying stoopid collector's money on merch I don't even want.

*sigh*

mad4mky
09-28-2001, 09:56 AM
One of my daughters begged me to try and get tickets...she loves both Tim Burton and Danny Elfman...
I didn't want to go during the middle of a week, for one night...
We would've flown down from San Francisco or San Jose. Now that they have had to bow out, I don't feel so bad for telling her "no".
As much as I wanted to go myself, I just couldn't afford it all. (flights, room, food, tickets, etc).
Works out well that the whole family will be coming down in early December.

Gandalf
09-28-2001, 10:16 AM
Maybe Disney could slow the HM ride down a little for the Oct 3rd Event and let the partygoers take a few pictures. That would have made it interesting for me. The ride sure seems to move a lot faster than it used to and also seems darker now. At least then the Event guests would have an opportunity that the general public won't when Disney opens (hopefully) it on Oct 5th.

Or Disney could make a Virtual Reality of the NBC redo and mail it out to the Event guests later as an "extra".

blusilva
09-28-2001, 11:20 AM
Well, they were really, really nice about giving me a refund. That's something. :)

Nigel2
09-28-2001, 11:34 AM
At least they are doing that, could you imagine how many people would have been disapointed if they basically lost the money the paid to see TB and DE? I am surprised that they don't do a panel discussion at a later date, but sitll have the sneak preview on the date that it was scheduled.

Sheila
09-28-2001, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
OK, I feel like crying now.

I spent SIX HOURS trying to get tickets to this thing, just because I wanted to hear Danny Elfman and Tim Burton speak. I was SO HAPPY to get them because that's all I really cared about. I never was doing this for the merch or even to get to ride the attraction a "whole" two days early.

*sigh*

Ditto. Took me seven hours to get those dang tickets.

I'm thinking long and hard about cancelling. $65 seems like waaay too much now for this event....

Sheila

rob
09-28-2001, 12:39 PM
If anyone is interested in cancelling, I never got a chance to get tickets, so I would still be interested.

Nigel2
09-28-2001, 01:58 PM
I think you should call the hotline for the tickets, or are the tickets transferable?

rob
09-28-2001, 02:04 PM
I did call, thanks. I am on the list.

Sheila
09-28-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I think you should call the hotline for the tickets, or are the tickets transferable?

I don't believe they are. In the registration package I received, all I got was some merchandise info and a sticker with my registration number on it. No ticket, no receipt.

At past events, you go to a sign-up table on event day and they cross your name off a list.

When I bought the ticket last month, I was told that if I wanted to cancel, I needed to call the Event Office to cancel. I assume this is because I bought the ticket for Premium Annual Passholders, and I could not get two tickets until I gave them membership numbers for both me and my BF. So they don't look very transferable. :(

Sheila

Nigel2
09-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Speaking of tickets... Anyone have an idea why they wanted our adresses for the public day at the Disneyana convnetion?