PDA

View Full Version : One of the steam trains has been missing way too long

spectromen
12-19-2003, 12:09 PM
The train that has benches that face foward instead of sideways has been out of service as long as I can remember. On my last visit, I asked a train CM what the name of that one was. I think she said "Explorer 8" or something like that. She stopped and thought for a moment, then said, "You're right, it hasn't been out here in like...1 1/2 years!" Does anybody know if it's receiving a really extensive rehab or was just cut for budget reasons? I thought it was the prettiest train of them all.

DisneyFan25863
12-19-2003, 12:51 PM
I believe it was cut so that they only have to maintain the part of the park that you can see by the train. Behind the train is backstage.

tod
12-19-2003, 01:36 PM
I know it as the "Excursion" train. It's number 3, I think, because the cars are all numbered in the 300s.

I hate it because I prefer to face into the park rather than forward, especially in the Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World.

Both sides of the train track are pretty much maintained. I don't know if they'd mothball one train to save on landscaping.

--T

tikiboy
12-19-2003, 03:10 PM
The train that faces forward stinks!! I personally can't remember the last time I've ridden it since I haven't had an annual pass in 2 years. But I remember waiting for the next train instead of riding that thing!!

MonorailMan
12-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Am I the only one who likes the Excursion train set?

What it lacks for in views, it gains in loading times, they are quick!

Last a RR CM said, was that it's just being ready to be taken out of an extended refurbishment. :)

DisneyFan25863
12-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

It's actually my personal Fav. Best way to see the Monorail Barn :fez:

sleepyjeff
12-19-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

What it lacks for in views, it gains in loading times, they are quick!

Last a RR CM said, was that it's just being ready to be taken out of an extended refurbishment. :)

It's my favorite too. Especially when being pulled by the Ernest S. Marsh. Very Classy.:cool:

smd4
12-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Explorer 8! LOL!!

The train set is indeed known as the "Excursion" train (the other's are know as "Holiday's--Holiday Red, Holiday Blue, and Holiday Green). The excursion train is indeed in the "300" series (although I have a photograph from early on showing them in the "600" series--a mystery I've been unable to solve).

The cars were designed by Bob Gurr, and are based on "Narragansett" type cars used in resort areas back east at the turn of the century (in nice weather only, of course!).

Each car is approximately 42 feet in length, and weighs approximately 12 tons. The entire train seats approximately 260 people. This train set was added to the Disneyland roster in 1958, along with Engine Number 3, the Fred Gurley, in conjunction with the opening of the Grand Canyon diorama. While the cars and the Gurley share a number, they are not permanently attached to the engine, and can be found behind any locomotive on the line, 1 through 4.

It probably is the pettiest train, as the cars are based on actual railroad cars from an appropriate period.

If you guys don't like the views from this train, you should have seen them through the windows of one of the first trains ("Retlaw 1"), which the Excursion cars essentially replaced.

Rulost
12-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Excursion 3 is still in rehab tell an undisclosed date. Roundhouse is currenting rebuilding the trucks and it has been freshly painted.

spectromen
12-23-2003, 08:05 AM
OK, I feel like a total idiot calling it the Explorer...lol...

smd4
12-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Don't feel like an idiot, Spectro!

The steam trains are kind of a unique attraction at DL. The engineers and firemen (essentially the "ride operators") are far more intimately involved with their atttaction than most other ride operators, and are often involved with the trains' maintenance. The conductors are more like "attraction hosts/hostesses" who, more often than not (as you found out) are not really "into" the trains themselves. I do not mean to disparrage any conductor CM's, as I am sure there are some that are knowledgable and interested, but many of them are simply not interested in the trains or their upkeep.

However, their function is vitally important to guest safety, and in fact it is they who are "in charge" of the train--not the operating crew in the cab (just as it was in real steam train days). A train cannot begin moving without their approval, and must stop when told to do so by the conductor. Older, more-knowledgable engineers sometimes respectfully call the conductors "Captain" for this reason.

UncleGDogWord
12-23-2003, 09:04 AM
It is a enjoyable ride on that train.

Does anyone have pictures of the round house area, and if so are they on any website?

smd4
12-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Disneyland Roundhouse (http://waltstoytrains.railfan.net/roundhouse.htm#Roundhouse)

danyoung
12-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by tikiboy
The train that faces forward stinks!! I personally can't remember the last time I've ridden it since I haven't had an annual pass in 2 years. But I remember waiting for the next train instead of riding that thing!!

I thought I was the only nutcase that did that!!!

danyoung
12-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by smd4
The conductors are more like "attraction hosts/hostesses" who, more often than not (as you found out) are not really "into" the trains themselves. I do not mean to disparrage any conductor CM's, as I am sure there are some that are knowledgable and interested, but many of them are simply not interested in the trains or their upkeep.

I'm not so concerned with their knowledge as with their desire to be a jungle cruise captain. Every once in a while you get a conductor who keys the mic and then just doesn't shut up! This used to really burn me in the days of Thurl Ravenscroft's narration. I don't wanna hear some teen babbling his silly little jokes - gimme Thurl!!

smd4
12-23-2003, 03:26 PM
This can be annoying, Dan. I don't mind when they need to speak over the spiel to alert guests of pertinent info not in the spiel (like differing show times, ride closures, etc). But to ad lib when not necessary is bad form.

danyoung
12-24-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by smd4
This can be annoying, Dan. I don't mind when they need to speak over the spiel to alert guests of pertinent info not in the spiel (like differing show times, ride closures, etc). But to ad lib when not necessary is bad form.

And that was exactly the problem on one instance about a year & a half ago. This kid was trying so hard to be charming and funny that he just ran all over the narration. If you wanna yap that much, join the Jungle Cruise team!

UncleGDogWord
12-24-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by UncleGDogWord
It is a enjoyable ride on that train.

Does anyone have pictures of the round house area, and if so are they on any website?

Thank you for the link! I really enjoyed the site.

THANK YOU!

Rulost
12-24-2003, 08:09 AM
I have just found out that the reason Excursion 3 has been under rehab so long is that it is still waiting for it's new sound system that will be installed. This is part of the preparation fot the 50th.