PDA

View Full Version : New Walk to Disneyland Transportation Hub

sjhanksaz
08-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Forgive me but I don't remember seeing a thread for this topic.

I wonder how the hotels along Harbor like the Park Vue or Desert Inn & Suites are going to deal with these changes.

I really hope we all don't have to use the pedestrian connector and pedestrian bridge. This would really add a lot of extra walking from where we typically stay.

candles71
08-19-2016, 10:52 PM
The Q and A in various articles address it. The harbor hotels do NOT have to back track to the Eastern Gateway. They haven't said what the specific plan is yet, but they did address that.

bumblebeeonarose
08-20-2016, 04:08 PM
As mentioned in the Q/A the current Harbor crosswalk near those hotels will close when the bridge opens. However, the crosswalk near HOJO is supposed to remain open with an alternate entrance. It sounds like there may be a couple different areas where you can enter through security. Hopefully that will also help with congestion. I think it's still pretty early in the plans and who knows what could happen.

candles71
08-21-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm thinking the shuttle bus drop off that looks to be where the current drop off lot is will need a security area and they may just have the Harbor hotels go into that area as well. I think that crosswalk will stay.

jmorgan
08-21-2016, 08:16 AM
What does anyone think will happen if you stay on the Disneyland side of Harbor (if you are staying at the Candy Cane). Will you have to cross to the opposite side of Harbor, and then cross back over the bridge?

Dave1313
08-21-2016, 10:15 AM
It will be very interesting to see how they manage this.

With the common (obviously post security checkpoint) area between the two parks, it seems like they need to keep a ground level checkpoint on the Harbor side not too far from where it is now in order to maintain the ground level entry from Harbor.

I was initially wondering about combining the checkpoint from M&F, but the difficult challenge to get people from one side to the other without first going through a checkpoint took me off that path. I'm sure (or at least I hope!) that they would never consider checkpoints for each park, that would be horrible for park hopping.

Maybe the elevated walkway will extend somewhat far into the area and descend to ground level after that checkpoint?

candles71
08-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Carousel is past the intersection. So, the crosswalk could stay as it is. I believe the walkway itself will drop down into the current ART area. The biggest challenge is what they are doing with the Monorail track. There is enough room to, leaving the current Toy Story bus area with enough room to put security into at least part of it.

bumblebeeonarose
08-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Carousel is past the intersection. So, the crosswalk could stay as it is. I believe the walkway itself will drop down into the current ART area. The biggest challenge is what they are doing with the Monorail track. There is enough room to, leaving the current Toy Story bus area with enough room to put security into at least part of it.

One of the Q/A said that the current crosswalk on Harbor near DIS, etc. will close. Someone said they will be building the divider with fence all the way through that section to force pedestrians to enter the Resort in specific places.

sjhanksaz
08-22-2016, 02:55 PM
One of the Q/A said that the current crosswalk on Harbor near DIS, etc. will close. Someone said they will be building the divider with fence all the way through that section to force pedestrians to enter the Resort in specific places.

I can totally see why Disney would do this. I know they do not particularly like how close all of the hotels are around them. Now they have the chance to change the entrance and make their hotels even more appealing.

Nikara
08-22-2016, 07:44 PM
I wonder if a decent amount of this is security driven. By moving un-inspected people farther from the parks, they increase the security of those areas. I'll be curious about if they shift security checks on the other side of the parks- maybe checking the tram passengers at Mickey and Friends, and people coming through Downtown Disney near the Starbucks. It would give them a chance to re-design their security systems for this higher security age.

goalieump413
08-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Since Disney still has to operate a security screening area on its property (somewhere), the most logical option would be to locate the screening areas farther away from the esplanade as possible, avoiding logjams of guests trying to enter, and opening up the central space for booths or future attractions. That said, looking at the pedestrian connector/overpass, unless Disney plans on providing a security screening area near the elevated section, but alongside the path at ground level, I don't see a way they can pull this off.

The site plan still shows the main gate on Harbor as an entrance point into the park, with no modified or adjusted linework indicating a change. It's possible that could operate a separate entrance for Harbor hotel guests, but if it isn't in writing, I don't know. Also, the cast member drop off area includes a tunnel that passes under the pedestrian connector west of Harbor, and stairs along the north side of the downward sloping ramp into the park. The bridge appears to include a second set of stairs abutting Harbor on the south side of the connector as well. This is probably required by code for fire and seismic safety concerns.

bumblebeeonarose
08-23-2016, 09:30 AM
I can totally see why Disney would do this. I know they do not particularly like how close all of the hotels are around them. Now they have the chance to change the entrance and make their hotels even more appealing.

My understanding is the city wants the changes because the street is so congested. Which makes sense. The crosswalk is there for our convenience. There isn't even a real intersection there. So they're stopping traffic just to allow pedestrian's to cross. There's an intersection near HOJO though, so it makes more sense to have a crosswalk there. I think this is going to be a big annoyance for those hotels across the street unless Disney gives them some kind of back gate access to their new hub, which the QA says is not currently part of the plan.

sjhanksaz
08-23-2016, 10:03 AM
My understanding is the city wants the changes because the street is so congested. Which makes sense. The crosswalk is there for our convenience. There isn't even a real intersection there. So they're stopping traffic just to allow pedestrian's to cross. There's an intersection near HOJO though, so it makes more sense to have a crosswalk there. I think this is going to be a big annoyance for those hotels across the street unless Disney gives them some kind of back gate access to their new hub, which the QA says is not currently part of the plan.

Shuttle busses also turn into the drop off area at this location too. I agree that people probably hold up this intersection the most.

candles71
08-23-2016, 10:43 AM
There is always the Disney Way crosswalk as well. So one at each end. There is also a new walking path on that bare patch between Grrand Legacy and Disney Way in the drawing, people could walk from the lot as well.

bumblebeeonarose
08-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Shuttle busses also turn into the drop off area at this location too. I agree that people probably hold up this intersection the most.

But the drop off area will go away too.

olegc
08-23-2016, 11:08 PM
you can't do security screening at Mickey and Friends unless you create an enclosed tram drop off, without access from or to anywhere else, between tram drop off and the gates. So the notion of going into DtD from the tram location will go away. Also - if they did major security to come into DtD for the general public that would be a nightmare scenario for logistics. You would have to control everything on the entire perimeter. They have screening at Staples Center, per se, but not the entire LA Live.

I see it where they will offer options for multiple areas on the east side to ensure once you enter a secure zone (bridge, Harbor entrance wherever that is) you won't have any way to back track. The western plaza creates many challenges with the way Tram drop off is designed. One factor also is the new hotel they plan to build on the DtD lot entrance. That may create a new opportunity to build/change things.

On the monorail - if you look at the drawings closely that have been posted from the announced plans it looks like Monorail track will be moved into an S shape- essentially moving it away from the bridge and the current bus/tram drop off on the east side - potentially making room for DCA northern expansion (it has been speculated).

candles71
08-24-2016, 06:52 AM
I only saw the tram move on someone's speculation drawing, not a Disney one.
Oh and I think I forgot to say Thanks BBoR, none of the q&a's that I read mentioned the crosswalk.

bumblebeeonarose
08-24-2016, 09:05 AM
I only saw the tram move on someone's speculation drawing, not a Disney one.
Oh and I think I forgot to say Thanks BBoR, none of the q&a's that I read mentioned the crosswalk.

Then I could be wrong and read it somewhere less official.

olegc
08-24-2016, 12:13 PM

This was posted on OC Register's site a few days ago. It states that plans are not yet solid but a separate entrance for Harbor-based hotels will be available (3rd question)
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-725945-harbor-bridge.html