PDA

View Full Version : Which Disney hotel?

tracilicious
12-18-2003, 11:20 AM
we are going to DLR during the first week of february. there are AP rates available for all three hotels that week, so we are having a hard time deciding which one.

i've always wanted to stay at GCH because it is so beautiful and close to both parks, but i've heard the rooms are smaller. is it worth the extra money?

we've stayed at DLH before and love the decor. we had a really good time there.

i've heard the rooms at PP are biggest of all the hotels, but is there really much of a difference? are the rooms decorated in disney like at DLH? is the distance from the parks a big inconvenience? this is the cheapest of all the hotels, so it might be nice to save some money, but we also want the ambience that we enjoy while staying at disney.

in summary, the most important things to us (in no particular order) are these:
1. atmosphere
2. amenities
3. convenience
4. cost

so, if anyone has any advice or experiences they would like to share then i would appreciate it. btw- i haveread the reviews, but i didn't find them particularly helpful with comparing hotels.

thanks in advance!

:fez: traci

daannzzz
12-18-2003, 11:29 AM
The rooms at the Paradise Pier hotel are begining to be remodeled. I do not know what the new decore is like but the old decore, while nice, was not nearly as fun as the new rooms at the DLH. The rooms at the DLH are in general bigger (sometimes by quite a bit) than at the PP. The rooms at the Grand Californian are a bit smaller but it is still wonderful (though not as many "Disney" referances as at the DLH) decor and the ambbaince is awesome as is the location. Still , my favorite rooms ate the large rooms in the Sierra Tower at the DLH.

tracilicious
12-18-2003, 01:57 PM
i have a reservation for DLH, and one on hold for GCH, so then i can decide and cancel the other one. i have requested the sierra tower. how do i know which ones are the big rooms? is there a special request i can make?

daannzzz
12-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Request a room in the Sierra Tower with 2 queens and a daybed.

Not Afraid
12-18-2003, 02:34 PM
1. atmosphere - GC or DLH both have loads of it (different kinds, though)
2. amenities - DLH and GC in that order
3. convenience - GC
4. cost - GC>DLH>PP

Darkbeer
12-18-2003, 02:52 PM
The PPH Lobby is getting redone and will be closed from January 5th thru February 16th.

The PPH Pool area is scheduled to be closed from January 5th thru March 16th.

They have already started remodeling the PPH guest rooms (Started November 3rd) and is scheduled to last until May 15th. (They will close down a floor at a time, while the remaining rooms remain available.)

If you are looking for a good hotel at a good price, I recommend the Howard Johnson's on Harbor. Plus, unlike the Disney hotels, you can access shuttle service to and from HoJo's.

If you can get a good deal at the DLH it is a nice place to stay.... even with a discount, I think the GCH is overpriced. (Though it is a very nice hotel). I just don't see spending a lot of money for a room that you won't spend much time in awake.... I rather take the money and have a nice dinner, and then go back to a decently priced hotel room.....

tracilicious
12-18-2003, 03:08 PM
thanks everyone.

darkbeer- i have heard great things about hojo, but it just isn't disney. we will have the baby with us (of course), so we will be spending more time than average in our room. when we do a week of disney we tend to rest more than we would if it was just a weekend trip, something we rarely get to do at home. we usually either come back for a nap in the afternoon, or we leave the parks early and spend the evening in our room, in downtown disney, or just wandering around the hotel grounds.

i'm glad to know that about PP! i guess that rules that out. i think we will stay at DLH. it seems to be a good middle of the road hotel. better ambience than PP, yet cheaper than GC.

now for the really important question:

which tower do you like best and why?

tjrj
12-19-2003, 07:06 AM
We like the Bonita Tower-just be sure to request water view. Otherwise you'll get a nice view of a parking lot:( Bit removed from the other two-which we like. Loved the waterfall right outside our balcony. Rooms are big, light airy feel with plenty of storage.

Pick for families: DLH
Pick for couples: slight edge to the GCH

nightdesigns
12-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Annabella Hotel across the street from DCA. You can pick up rooms on expedia for $59 a night (mini suite). Very nice, looks to be disney owned (disney stuff everywhere, costumes and name tags are definatly disney.). I was very pleased with my stay there a couple of weeks ago. Walking distance to DL or DTD.

wendybeth
12-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Trailicious-
We stayed at the DLH last year and while it was nice, I was a bit underwhelmed. The room was small; it was on the fourth floor, Sierra tower, next to the elevators. Two queen beds, no daybed, and small bathroom with a single sink. It was summer, so we paid about $250 an night, which was too much for what we got. We were there four nights and never once saw a character anywhere near the hotel, excepting Goofy's kitchen. The walk to the park was long, and the monorail was working sporadically, so you couldn't count on that. I understand that there are several hotels that are actually a closer walking distance, one of them, the Candy Cane Inn, we plan on staying at in April. I liked the DLH, but it just wasn't all that magical- I would opt for the GCH just because it's closer, and while the rooms are small, they are very nice.

sediment
12-19-2003, 01:35 PM
I don't think characters at DLH are a usual occurrence. Some kind of event (character breakfast, Practically Perfect Tea, etc) would have to be happening.

Off-property isn't that far, compared with, say, WDW.

That PP and GLH are right next door to DCA means that you should plan to be at DCA during your pre-rest time. The DLH is a long walk, and the monorail's service is a variable.

Remember, these places are expensive because plenty of people exist who will pay it. Personally, I wouldn't pay $200+ for a room for one family. About $150 tops.

iwannabeanimagineer
12-19-2003, 01:42 PM
I have not stayed at Paradise Pier nor the Disneyland Hotel, but we did stay for a few days a year or two ago at the Grand Californian Hotel. We loved it! The rooms were restful and comfortable. The hotel and its amenities were beautiful and convenient. We loved using the special entrance to DCA. We stayed on the concierge level and loved the continental breakfasts every morning and the cookies and milk every night. The staff/cast members were fantastic. From the moment we gave the guard our name at the entrance booth/gate, the hotel staff greeted us by name and they could not have been more welcoming to our children. We loved exploring the hotel and its decor. It was the absolute best accommodation we have enjoyed anywhere.

Downsides: First, we did not get the theme park view room we asked for and thought we were getting, but we soon realized we would have enjoyed the view for about 30 seconds a day, maximum. Second, although I thought the price was substantially lower than the value we received, my wife is likely to veto any future interest in staying at GCH due to the cost. It was probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us.

disneyfreak2727
12-19-2003, 07:44 PM
We just got back from a stay at the DLH and we had a wonderful time. We have stayed there before and it is my favorite of the three. I would go with Sierra tower, upper lever, downtown disney view. As far as the walk to the main gates my feeling is, if that is too much of a walk for anyone, they are going to have a hard time doing a day (or days) at the park(s) anyways. It is a lovely walk and usually music is playing through downtown disney on the way to the gate. The monorails were both working during our 4 day trip and usually we took that back to the room and walked to the gate in the morning. It is not a 4 star hotel but a good 3 and a half. And it is Disney! What's not to love? :)

prudence
12-19-2003, 09:57 PM
We just got back from a stay at the Grand Californian. Prior to that, we stayed at the Paradise Pier twice. After this, we won't be staying at PPH again! We do like to pamper ourselves, so we liked the turn down service at GC. That's really the only reason we ever went for the concierge service at PP and it comes standard at GC. And being closer to the parks really did make a difference at the end of a long day. We didn't find the rooms to be small at all. There were only the two of us, so we don't require gobs of space. Also, GC has balconies and PP does not. The lobby at GC was some place you could actually hang out, not just the place where you checked in. I haven't stayed at the Disneyland Hotel since I was a pre-teen and you could take the monorail there, so I can't make a comparison there.

But for atmosphere, ameneties, and convenience I would definitely rank GC the best. As for the price difference -- Frankly we've been so disappointed in PP lately that I'd rather stay at a closer and much cheaper off-site hotel than PP.

BJW
12-20-2003, 03:10 PM
I have stayed at all three Disney hotels. Disneyland hotel is definitely more convenient than Paradise Pier as you can get to Disneyland a little faster (however, don't count on the monorail) and are right next to Downtown Disney. Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Zone, and the movie theatre are just a short walk from your room. The advantage to Paradise Pier is you can get an excellent view of the pier and lake at DCA and get your own private entrance to DCA. You can even request an electrical parade-view room. Also, the PCH Grill downstairs has excellent food, although the room service is not 24 hours. The rooms were very nice at Paradise Pier and is probably the best value for your money at the resort. Grand Californian is TERRIBLE! I had a Downtown Disney room, and they had loud music blaring through the speakers all night, even when Downtown Disney is closed. 3 AM and 4 AM is way too late at night/early in the morning to have Christmas carols and off-key jazz music blasting right outside the window. Also, there are very few elevators at GCH. We had to walk what seemed like a mile to get to an elevator. The food at the Storytellers Cafe at GCH is terrible. The only good thing at this hotel is the lobby, they cut corners on the rest of this hotel. However, if you like being next to the gate of both parks and don't mind all the other inconveniences I mentioned its worth it. The only reason they charge so much for this hotel is its proximity to the gates of both parks. Otherwise, it would be a ripoff at its current price. I would stay there again provided I get a room closer to the elevators and away from Downtown Disney because it would be worth the inconveniences to be closer to the parks. However, if you don't mind walking Paradise Pier is the best value.

TrekkieDad
12-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by BJW
Grand Californian is TERRIBLE! I had a Downtown Disney room, and they had loud music blaring through the speakers all night, even when Downtown Disney is closed. 3 AM and 4 AM is way too late at night/early in the morning to have Christmas carols and off-key jazz music blasting right outside the window. Also, there are very few elevators at GCH. We had to walk what seemed like a mile to get to an elevator.

We stayed at the GCH two years ago, and our experience was different. Our room overlooked GRR, the elevator was close, and so was the entrance to DCA. Once the park closed, it was very quiet. I wondered about the noise from Downtown Disney affecting those guests facing it. Some people prefer noise and activity, others do not. You need to ask for what you want. That's what we did.

BJW
12-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by TrekkieDad
We stayed at the GCH two years ago, and our experience was different. Our room overlooked GRR, the elevator was close, and so was the entrance to DCA. Once the park closed, it was very quiet. I wondered about the noise from Downtown Disney affecting those guests facing it. Some people prefer noise and activity, others do not. You need to ask for what you want. That's what we did.
TrekkieDad,
I agree that a person should ask for what they want. However, I enjoyed the fireworks view from the DTD view room and watching the band play below, but I had no idea they would have speakers blasting music at 3 or 4 AM. No shops are open at DTD at that time and I don't think they allow people down there then either (I believe it closes at 2 AM or whenever the last venue closes.) It makes no sense for music to keep playing. If we knew this we would have asked for a different room. They didn't tell us how far away the elevator would be. I'm sure a room overlooking DCA would be quiet as the park rarely is open past 9 pm. The other hotels do not have as much walking as GCH. If I ever do stay there again I plan to ask in advance for a room similar to the one you had. I still believe the only reason for staying there is its proximity to the two parks.

nightdesigns
12-21-2003, 08:49 AM
Where is the private entrace from Paradise Pier Hotel into the park? I know about the one in grand since i use it all the time <grin>

leota's necklace
12-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BJW
Grand Californian is TERRIBLE! I had a Downtown Disney room, and they had loud music blaring through the speakers all night, even when Downtown Disney is closed. 3 AM and 4 AM is way too late at night/early in the morning to have Christmas carols and off-key jazz music blasting right outside the window. Also, there are very few elevators at GCH. We had to walk what seemed like a mile to get to an elevator. The food at the Storytellers Cafe at GCH is terrible. The only good thing at this hotel is the lobby, they cut corners on the rest of this hotel.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I stayed at the GCH for my birthday at the end of August. I was a little worried because I got a room right over DD, but I had absolutely no problem. My balcony was right over the lattices with xmas lights on them, which was just enchanting, and I couldn't hear the music once I got back to my room at night. The glass doors were thick enough to block nearly all of the music earlier in the evening. Room noise from DD was definitely not an issue, and this was during the high summer season.

I also had a very tasty meal at Storytellers, and had no problem with the walk to the elevator: even with my bags it wasn't bad, and if I needed to get downstairs FAST, there was a stairwell nearby that took me down to the Brisa Courtyard. I had taken a look at the hotel's floor plan online before I made my reservations, so I knew exactly where the elevators were (if you have internet access, no fair blaming the staff for not telling you!). Since the hallways are lovely, with attention paid to the plush William Morris-style carpeting, themed and textured wallpaper, and Craftsman-style sconces, I actually enjoyed the walk and tended to amble more than usual. The main staircase is gorgeous and its polished wood felt good to the hands.

The room was a good size and nicely laid out. I got a room with a queen and a bunk, so there was a touch more floor space, and the separate vanity and bath made that area of the room feel quite spacious. Though I was by myself I'm sure my husband and I would have had enough room. I think our room in the Sierra tower at DLH felt smaller, while our room over the waterfalls in the Bonita tower felt a smidge larger.

The extra touches made the stay there special: from the little notes and chocolates left at turndown to the spa-quality toiletries to the large fluffy towels and comfy light bathrobes, everything felt like a treat. And the bed was heavenly -- just firm enough, comfy pillows, and luxury bed linens. I slept like a rock.

I left the GCH much lighter in the pocket but rested and relaxed. If you can afford a splurge, and truly appreciate design and theming beyond that of the Disney characters, I highly recommend the GCH. If you will be in and out of the hotel all day, and have younger, active children, I'd stay at the DLH.

Darkbeer
12-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by nightdesigns
Where is the private entrace from Paradise Pier Hotel into the park? I know about the one in grand since i use it all the time <grin>

Here is a photo album showing the path....

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4088391&a=30555099&f=0