PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Disneyland... I'm engaged!

foolofatook
12-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Hello,

I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post. My boyfriend and I just got back from a five-day trip to Disneyland, during which he proposed to me! It was on the balcony of the Disney Gallery on Saturday morning. We were alone and it was very romantic. His timing was great, too, because it was maybe 5 or 10 minutes after that they started setting up the chairs and tables for some tour luncheon.

He knew I'd want to shop together for an engagement ring, so he presented me with a beautiful what he called "proposal" ring and then we went down to The Jewel of Orleans to look at the gorgeous estate jewelry! We found a ring that is possibly the one, but felt a bit freaked out about choosing and buying something so quickly. The owner was kind enough to bring it back up to San Francisco, where we are going to shop a bit more (but still, that ring has the added bonus of being chosen at Disneyland ;) )

As for the trip itself, it was really fun, though the weekend was more crowded than we expected it to be. Boy, those fast passes are a lifesaver! Though we live in northern California, we are big Disneyland fans and try to come every year around this time, sometimes right after Thanksgiving, sometimes at the beginning of January so we can experience the changing of "Christmas" Disneyland to "regular" Disneyland.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my special news.

I also wanted to thank Mouse Planet and all the posters on this forum for always providing such interesting, as well as helpful Disney information! I guess I have one good story to share to share with you. I have an ex-boyfriend whose father worked many years at Disney (I believe in the 50s, 60's, maybe 70s too?). When he was the head operator (sorry I don't know the correct job titles) of It's a Small World he had a CM who refused to let a guest ride two times in a row. Well, my boyfriend's father stepped in and allowed the guest to ride again, then asked the CM if maybe he would like to take a break after finding out that the guest was Roy Disney (Sr.)!

Not Afraid
12-17-2003, 12:06 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

And a ring from the sparkley store too!

What a lovely way - and a lovely place - to propose!

Keep us aprised of the wedding details as they come together!

And, welcome (Officially) to the Pad!

Lisa

CoasterMatt
12-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Congratulations!!

Welcome to the Pad, have fun

cirquelover
12-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Congratulations:)

DopeyWife
12-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Congratulations!!!

cstephens
12-17-2003, 01:43 PM
What a great story! Congratulations!

MickeyD
12-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Awww, how sweet! Congratulations!

itsinthemagic
12-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Congrats to a Disney engagee (is that a word?) from another Disney engagee! We were engaged December 15th of last year at DL. Isn't DL the best place to get engaged?

Congrats again!

stinkerbell
12-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Congratulations, and Welcome! :)

Also, I LOVE your screen name! :geek: :D Brilliant!

foolofatook
12-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

I will try to update you on future details; at this point all we are thinking about is how and when to tell family and friends! Plus, all we know for sure is that the honeymoon will be at WDW, no matter what!

Itsinthemagic, congrats on your engagement, too! Wow, our engagements are almost exactly a year apart. Must be something in the Disney holiday air!

Cadaverous Pallor
12-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Congrats and welcome, 'took! :D

Have fun planning the wedding...don't forget to sneak in a hidden mickey or two. ;)

LibraryGirl
12-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Congratulations!

foolofatook
12-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

Have fun planning the wedding...don't forget to sneak in a hidden mickey or two. ;)

Hey, thanks for the great idea! :) You've got the wheels turning in my head...°o°

justagrrl
12-18-2003, 10:01 AM
What a nice story. :) Congratulations.

julia
12-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Congratulations! Welcome to the group!

What a great story to share...for the rest of your life! Thank you for sharing it with us - it made my day! It will be an experience that will be incredibly special for the rest of your life. (I still smile and swoon when I remember when my husband proposed to me -we've been married for 9 years.)

The Hidden Mickeys in your wedding is a great idea! A good friend of mine and her husband had "Hakuna Mattata" engraved on the inside of their wedding rings - it is a very special touch for them because they love Disney so much.

Keep us up-to-date on how things are going with your planning - enjoy it!

Have a magical day!
Julia

foolofatook
12-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by julia
Congratulations! Welcome to the group!

What a great story to share...for the rest of your life! Thank you for sharing it with us - it made my day! It will be an experience that will be incredibly special for the rest of your life. (I still smile and swoon when I remember when my husband proposed to me -we've been married for 9 years.)

The Hidden Mickeys in your wedding is a great idea! A good friend of mine and her husband had "Hakuna Mattata" engraved on the inside of their wedding rings - it is a very special touch for them because they love Disney so much.

Keep us up-to-date on how things are going with your planning - enjoy it!

Have a magical day!
Julia

Thanks! I'm glad I finally decided to post. And where else would I get such appreciation for the Disney proposal?;)

I like your friend's idea of such a meaningful engraving on their rings. I can tell that this forum is going to be a great wealth of suggestions for helping to make the wedding personal and really special. We love Disney, but I don't think either of us want to do an all out *DISNEY*-themed wedding. I think it's going to be the subtle things (ie-hidden mickeys, occasional Disney (first dance?) song) that I'm going to love.

JazzBaby
12-18-2003, 01:33 PM
All my life I've wanted to have someone say to me "gee, what a beautiful ring" and be able to respond "Thanks. I got it at Disneyland!"

Best wishes, I hope you'll be very happy.

cstephens
12-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by foolofatook
We love Disney, but I don't think either of us want to do an all out *DISNEY*-themed wedding. I think it's going to be the subtle things (ie-hidden mickeys, occasional Disney (first dance?) song) that I'm going to love.

Yeah, we did that for our wedding, and we liked being able to find subtle things as well. We had a Mickey hidden on our cake, we had nice crystal toasting glasses that had Mickey heads on them that you could only really see if you were up close, and my husband gave his best man and groomsman Mickey head cufflinks to wear.

Planning a wedding can be very stressful, but please try to enjoy it as well. It can be a wonderful time.

jrsharp21
12-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Congrats!

I recently proposed to my girl friend at Disneyland on December 5th at Snow White's Wishing Well. I presented her with a glass slipper, a glass rose on a pillow and then the ring. I have some real good pics of it too as my mom was quick with the camera. Her mom has it on video tape and the song from the well is playing in the background as I was doing it. Perfect timing.

AAbabwa
12-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Congratulations and good luck.

foolofatook
12-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by jrsharp21
Congrats!

I recently proposed to my girl friend at Disneyland on December 5th at Snow White's Wishing Well. I presented her with a glass slipper, a glass rose on a pillow and then the ring. I have some real good pics of it too as my mom was quick with the camera. Her mom has it on video tape and the song from the well is playing in the background as I was doing it. Perfect timing.

Congratulations to you!

I did find out that my boyfriend originally wanted to propose at Snow White's Wishing Well, but at the time we were there there was a queue nearby to see one of the princesses (Snow White? Cinderella? I don't remember which one).

Your proposal sounded well thought out and very romantic. I'm glad the song in the well was a special touch for you. When we were standing by the well making wishes, my boyfriend asked, "Doesn't this song ever stop?" I guess he didn't want to ask me over the volume of the song! Anyway, he was pretty sneaky and casually walked us over to the Gallery balcony without my getting suspicious. Now that I look back at it, he did seem a little anxious. He was worried that I would discover the ring box that he was trying to hide near the top of his pants pocket!

disneydreams
12-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey! Congraulations on your engagement!

anyway, after reading the post about the "Hakuna Matata" engagement rings, I was browsing through Ebay and stumbled onto this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1378&item=2210717000). It's a pair of Nightmare Before Christmas engagement rings.

On the outside, it says "We're simply meant to be" and on the inside "Nightmare Before Christmas"

Not sure if it's your size or taste, but just thought you might like to see it. :)