PDA

View Full Version : Segway test-run

TheatreTech
12-16-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm sure at some point, you've seen CMs in TL riding a Segway (HT) (http://www.segway.com/segway/specs_iseries.html), which are one of the coolest things ever.
Anyway, I'm no sure how long they will be doing this, but on Monday my friend and I went to Innoventions to play with the talking hopscotch game thingy upstairs. Where the GM car of the future thing was with the moving virtural reality seats; well, the seats are gone (the car is still there) and in the area there were several CM with two Segways letting guests try them out.

This is the part where I got all giddy and jumped in line. :|
You must be 16 or older to try it(and they did ask for ID. although it took the CM a while to calculate how old I was. BTW, me just showing a drivers license in the first place shows that you're at least 16...:rolleyes: )

It was really cool, and I now want to buy one. If you get the chance, I suggest that you try it out. (Due to the fact that most of us don't have 5 grand to spend on one of our own.)
I hope they continue doing this. (It's the only way they can get me in that building.):p

DisneyFan25863
12-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Great. So you get me all excited, thinking I should head down to DLR just for this, then you tell me that I have to wait 2 more years. Arugh. :mad:

Whats up with Disney and placing restrictions on all the cool stuff to 16 (the utildoors tour @ WDW, this, the backstage tours, etc...)

lilblckrncloud
12-16-2003, 09:36 PM
How long was the line? I am SO thrilled to hear about this - I cannot wait to try it out! I don't know why, but those things have intrigued me from day 1.

blusilva
12-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Great. So you get me all excited, thinking I should head down to DLR just for this, then you tell me that I have to wait 2 more years. Arugh. :mad:

Whats up with Disney and placing restrictions on all the cool stuff to 16 (the utildoors tour @ WDW, this, the backstage tours, etc...)

I would imagine it's a risk-management issue. In uncontrolled situations, a person under the age of 16 is less able to protect themselves against possible accidents. Once you're old enough to drive an automobile, though, all bets are off. ;)

TheatreTech
12-16-2003, 09:39 PM
How long was the line? I am SO thrilled to hear about this - I cannot wait to try it out! I don't know why, but those things have intrigued me from day 1.

They had two running, and each person got to work with it for about 3-4 minutes. I couldn't have waited longer that 15 minutes. Most of the time I was watching the other people.

EDIT

lilblckrncloud
12-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I am SO there! I was already planning on hitting up Innoventions when I go Thursday, but this has made me super excited. Thanks for the info!

PineapplePrincess
12-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I wasn't planning on going in there for...ummm...a long time, but now there is a real reason to go! I can't wait to try one out!:fez:

Ghoulish Delight
12-16-2003, 10:33 PM
I danced at this news :D

I've been DYING for a chance to get the feel of one of those things. Hooray! Innoventions has something more compelling than air conditioning.

DisneyFan25863
12-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Speaking of Segways, did anyone see Leo Laporte go crazy on one today on The Screen Savers?

Bruce Bergman
12-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Speaking of Segways, did anyone see Leo Laporte go crazy on one today on The Screen Savers?

What, you missed the Segway-Cam shots at the end? For shame... :p

Not having the $5K to blow on a Segway, I got one of the electric Bladez scooters (with the big tires & 450W motor). Perfect for checking lights at big HOA's at night, or for jobs where I'm running out to the truck for bits all day and can't park close. And about $4,700 change back.

But that is a good reason to go to Innoventions.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Cadaverous Pallor
12-17-2003, 09:18 AM
We will be there as soon as humanly possible. :)

justagrrl
12-17-2003, 09:59 AM
I hope this is sign of things to come in Tomorrowland. What a great idea!

Moonliner
12-17-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm just glad they got rid of the stupid spinning chairs... They were #1 on my lame-o-meter...

and congratulations to the China movie, you move up to #1.

ModHatter
12-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
I hope this is sign of things to come in Tomorrowland. What a great idea!

And it didn't hurt that there was a cute CM there.

And wasn't I just crushed when the path to the exit was blocked going counter-clockwise, so I just had to pass by again!!!