PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn getting Fastpass

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
08-01-2016, 11:35 AM
https://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/142332-4/Matterhorn1-20120618-BW.JPG

Disney pulled a construction permit to build a shade canopy over a new Fastpass installation at the Matterhorn. There was another permit pulled for Pirates of the Caribbean, which is the other ride David Koenig said would be getting Fastpass back in May, but that one doesn't explicitly state that it has to do with Fastpass. (And I'm betting that any future such permits will be vague as to their purpose, since Disney knows that sites scan these public records for information.)

No idea when it's scheduled to open, and whether this relates to the Fastpass testing that has been taking place at Space Mountain.

AVP

olegc
08-01-2016, 12:18 PM
glad to see new fastpass - but sad because they will have to have pretty extensive switchbacks now. At least historically thats what has happened (longer lines for non fastpass holders).

bumblebeeonarose
08-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Matterhorn is a coaster, and could probably use FP. I know there were times I wished I could get FP for it, especially since we have to rider swap that one. But Pirates is such a fast loading ride, and they tried FP on it before, so I don't understand that one. I guess they just want to up the number of FP available before rolling out the rumored FP+ system.

candles71
08-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Neither one needs it. The Matterhorn line is 30 minutes from the back of the mountain. Pirates constantly moves and doesn't need it either.

AnotherJenny
08-01-2016, 03:46 PM
I haven't ridden Matterhorn any way other than single rider since they started offering that. If that goes away in lieu of FP, I'm not sure I would ride as much.

MidwayManiac
08-01-2016, 05:06 PM
While the Pirates FP is unnecessary, Matterhorn is a welcomed addition.

sjhanksaz
08-02-2016, 07:18 AM
i don't see this as a bad thing

3Princesses1Prince
08-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Looking forward to this. As my older kids said "it's about time!" Mostly since my littles like to ride and the older ones aren't fans, so it'll keep our wait times to a minimum.

queenbetsey
08-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Perhaps Disney is putting more rides on the system so they can consider the magic band tech. Just a thought. Back at WDW there are quite a few more attractions on the system so they can spread out the fp+ options. Also will allow for a tiered set of options for fp+ like back east

Engine74
08-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Fast Pass for POTC seems to slow the line down. The last time it had FP it was like Mansion and only used during busy times.

candles71
08-02-2016, 02:24 PM
That is what concerns me about Matterhorn. That line pretty much moves constantly as well. Will FP slow the standby line?
SR at Matterhorn is only really useful if the standby line is more than 20 minutes.

AnotherJenny
08-02-2016, 02:42 PM
That is what concerns me about Matterhorn. That line pretty much moves constantly as well. Will FP slow the standby line?
SR at Matterhorn is only really useful if the standby line is more than 20 minutes.

I eventually seemed to even out with Big Thunder. I think it really depends how many FP the offer per hour, which we obviously won't know.

sjhanksaz
08-03-2016, 01:30 PM
I am a little worried about adding new rides with FP and subsequently if DL adopts the Disney World fast pass system. If you can only pick three in a day who is going to pick one for rides like the Matterhorn. It may make it a mute point

Engine74
08-03-2016, 04:56 PM
I am a little worried about adding new rides with FP and subsequently if DL adopts the Disney World fast pass system. If you can only pick three in a day who is going to pick one for rides like the Matterhorn. It may make it a mute point

I don't see Disneyland getting the same type system as WDW. DL/DCA is more of a 1 and 2 day visitors than WDW. If they bring in free WiFi like WDW the DL App could be used for a FP Plus system for DL.

danyoung
08-04-2016, 05:28 AM
It may make it a mute point

Sorry, I'm so trying to be better and more forgiving, but I just can't let this one go. It's "moot", not "mute".

Now, everyone, back to your lives, nothing to see here . . . . .

sjhanksaz
08-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Sorry, I'm so trying to be better and more forgiving, but I just can't let this one go. It's "moot", not "mute".

Now, everyone, back to your lives, nothing to see here . . . . .

You dare to correct my English!! you should remain mute.

Just kidding - English is my primary language but alas it is perhaps my only weakness.

danyoung
08-04-2016, 07:59 AM
I was severely "muted" on another site a few days ago over my gentle responses to the misuse of the English language. I'm glad you reacted in the spirit of fun that I intended!

candles71
08-04-2016, 08:04 AM
We are all family here. Family helps each other out. :) Personally, I was sitting on my hands. ;)

Shortpix77
08-04-2016, 08:49 AM

danyoung
08-04-2016, 08:55 AM
I was actually thinking of that scene!

Berry Princess
08-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Matterhorn is a coaster, and could probably use FP. I know there were times I wished I could get FP for it, especially since we have to rider swap that one. But Pirates is such a fast loading ride, and they tried FP on it before, so I don't understand that one. I guess they just want to up the number of FP available before rolling out the rumored FP+ system.

Neither one needs it. The Matterhorn line is 30 minutes from the back of the mountain. Pirates constantly moves and doesn't need it either.

I remember when they put FP on Pirates and Mansion. It was a disaster. The lines took forever to move. They only would have one side open for standy by and the other side was all for FP. Even the busiest of days when the line gets really long it still moves but the fact is if FP is added back to it imagine how it much longer that line will get and where it will end up? Mansion was the same way too. Only time I can agree with FP on Mansion is during the holidays and even then its kind of iffy to me on it being used. Agree that Matterhorn moves better well also. The SR line doesn't make a dent in the wait times either unlike what FP will do.

Perhaps Disney is putting more rides on the system so they can consider the magic band tech. Just a thought. Back at WDW there are quite a few more attractions on the system so they can spread out the fp+ options. Also will allow for a tiered set of options for fp+ like back east

They already said they weren't doing magic bands here. The system for FP+ would be different. It would have to be since its more a locals park unlike WDW. The only option I can see that would make it far to all is just making sure you are in the parks to use the FP system. Its not like they can't do this. The original park map they had would only give you wait times if you were in the parks area. Otherwise you got a thing like moderate or whatever they had for waits when away from the area.

Peter Pan is a rumored one for FP as well and I honestly can't see how this will work there at all. That line is already so long as it is and into the walkway. There is no space for more of a line to build up there if they do FP and where they would let FP riders in as well would be another issue. As I said above the system isn't suppose to work like WDW. From what I have read (rumor wise remember) is that it would work similar to what we have none and still have options for those that do not have a smartphone or don't want to use their phone for FPs but that otherwise it would be like it is now with getting FP. Where one would have to wait the 2 hours or the FP time comes up to get another one. Which if its kept as it is but they are just trying to use more tech and less paper ok fine..as long as the option is there to not have to use the phone still too. We have no wifi in the parks like WDW does. Plus the worry comes into play about your phone's battery dying as well. I know I keep data off on my phone and only turn wifi or data on as I need. I have the cheapest plan for my phone so I wouldn't want to go over my limit. So when we have been in the parks and needed to check wait times I would turn it off and on. I only used my phone for pictures, wait times and to keep in touch with kids/husband. So with how I have used it in the parks my battery lasts the day. If I have to do FP on it too it might drain the battery faster with having to bring that out for getting FPs, showing it for FPs, and everything else I do. I used to have a portable charger but need a new one. Which guess I wouldn't be surprised if Disney started selling "themed" ones of those at some point. LOL

Engine74
08-05-2016, 04:46 AM
I remember when they put FP on Pirates and Mansion. It was a disaster. The lines took forever to move. They only would have one side open for standy by and the other side was all for FP. Even the busiest of days when the line gets really long it still moves but the fact is if FP is added back to it imagine how it much longer that line will get and where it will end up? Mansion was the same way too. Only time I can agree with FP on Mansion is during the holidays and even then its kind of iffy to me on it being used. Agree that Matterhorn moves better well also. The SR line doesn't make a dent in the wait times either unlike what FP will do.

They already said they weren't doing magic bands here. The system for FP+ would be different. It would have to be since its more a locals park unlike WDW. The only option I can see that would make it far to all is just making sure you are in the parks to use the FP system. Its not like they can't do this. The original park map they had would only give you wait times if you were in the parks area. Otherwise you got a thing like moderate or whatever they had for waits when away from the area.

Peter Pan is a rumored one for FP as well and I honestly can't see how this will work there at all. That line is already so long as it is and into the walkway. There is no space for more of a line to build up there if they do FP and where they would let FP riders in as well would be another issue. As I said above the system isn't suppose to work like WDW. From what I have read (rumor wise remember) is that it would work similar to what we have none and still have options for those that do not have a smartphone or don't want to use their phone for FPs but that otherwise it would be like it is now with getting FP. Where one would have to wait the 2 hours or the FP time comes up to get another one. Which if its kept as it is but they are just trying to use more tech and less paper ok fine..as long as the option is there to not have to use the phone still too. We have no wifi in the parks like WDW does. Plus the worry comes into play about your phone's battery dying as well. I know I keep data off on my phone and only turn wifi or data on as I need. I have the cheapest plan for my phone so I wouldn't want to go over my limit. So when we have been in the parks and needed to check wait times I would turn it off and on. I only used my phone for pictures, wait times and to keep in touch with kids/husband. So with how I have used it in the parks my battery lasts the day. If I have to do FP on it too it might drain the battery faster with having to bring that out for getting FPs, showing it for FPs, and everything else I do. I used to have a portable charger but need a new one. Which guess I wouldn't be surprised if Disney started selling "themed" ones of those at some point. LOL

If I remember right before they put FP on POTC last time there were 3 load lines once you got inside. When the put FP in they went to 2 lines, FP and Stand By. POTC was the start of the people eater attractions. I am not a CM but, it seems to work better without FP to me. Now Matterhorn with FP I think will be a problem. Will one side be FP and one side Stand By, will FP get to choose which side they want and Stand By just be fill in with no choice? Will both side have a FP and a Stand By lines? Guess we will have to wait and see what the plan is.
At WDW they just started renting FuelRods throughout the resort. For $30 you get the rod and a cable that works most Android devices and one that works with Apple. Once you use it you can swap it out for another fully charged rod. I would love to see this come to DL. I will not say I have taken my cable and plug with me into the park and sat in the Golden Horseshoe or Casa Del Zocala and charged my phone from Disney's outlet. ��

bumblebeeonarose
08-05-2016, 06:23 AM
Now Matterhorn with FP I think will be a problem. Will one side be FP and one side Stand By, will FP get to choose which side they want and Stand By just be fill in with no choice? Will both side have a FP and a Stand By lines? Guess we will have to wait and see what the plan is.

We've used rider swap on Matterhorn before. They have you enter the line at the covered area, so you could go in either line. I imagine this will be the same with FP. They could set up a roped queue area outside the current entrance area and allow the FP to enter just before the line splits. Some people do ask to ride a specific side, but a lot of people just go where they're told. I imagine it would still be that way with both FP and standby. It wouldn't really make sense to do FP all to the left or right. Hopefully they don't offer more FP than they can fit in whatever queue system they set up. I hate when areas get backed up because the line is too long.

sjhanksaz
08-05-2016, 06:50 AM

Isn't WDW also using the wrist band things? If that is the case you just pick the 3 rides before the trip and just know when you your wait times are. When we were at WDW it was a nightmare to change them on your phone because there were none really available to change them out for.

That was the bad thing. You only get 3 FP in a day and then you are SOL.

AnotherJenny
08-05-2016, 07:32 AM
That was the bad thing. You only get 3 FP in a day and then you are SOL.

Or you just wait in line. I almost never use FP for anything other than Space Mountain or Star Tours because I'd rather just wait than pull and FP, leave, and go back. Sometimes I pull an FP if it is likely to be time after I wait standby and ride twice. Before FP we waited in line. On rides that don't have FP we wait in line. When FPs run out we wait in line. If/when FPs are further limited, we'll wait in line.