PDA

View Full Version : fantasyland

momiekins
09-27-2001, 08:23 AM
we are taking our 4 kids the week of Oct. 21 to DL

according to the disney web page matterhorn, peter pan, small world and mr. toad are all going to be closed.

is this true or have you heard if they will be open and they have not updated the web page?

thanks
jenn

blubayou33
09-27-2001, 08:26 AM
I know for a fact that Mr. Toad, Peter Pan and Matterhorn are going to be down, though I haven't heard about Small World...anyone care to fill in?

EandCDad
09-27-2001, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by blubayou33
I know for a fact that Mr. Toad, Peter Pan and Matterhorn are going to be down, though I haven't heard about Small World...anyone care to fill in?

It may be down to change into Small World Holiday which will likely start in early November (if the past is any guide).

lisap
09-27-2001, 08:43 AM
Sheesh!!
Is there going to be ANYTHING open??, I mean, one can only go on Snow White's scary adventures so many times. We are taking the kids on a week day next week and things are looking pretty sparse....

mad4mky
09-27-2001, 08:51 AM
My youngest girl is going with her Aunt and Uncle next week. When I told her what was going to be down...she almost cried.

Luckily, we are coming down on December 1st and staying for 4 days. Hopefully all will be up and running for the holidays. I told my husband we had to go on a Sunday...I want to meet with some of my fellow MP people while down there. Otherwise, we would've just done weekdays. And how I look so forward to seeing the Haunted Mansion as NBC...I'm so excited!
Hope to meet some of you on December 2nd.:)

Darkbeer
09-27-2001, 01:16 PM
I presume one of the reasons the rides will be closed is the ongoing replacement of the sidewalks/walkways. Right now the Tea Cups and Alice are closed, along with the entire walkway. To get from Dumbo to Small World, you have to go thru the Castle and around. So, when they finish that section, the next section will be the pathway in front of the east side of the area (Mr. Toad and Peter Pan). Matterhorn has been closed, and not sure when it will reopen. As for Small World, I presume they will be doing the changeover to the Holiday edition.

Was at Albertson's last night, and while you will need to get the coupon (by buying a Coke product) by the middle of October, the coupon is good through the first week of December... ($10 off per person)

Mouse
09-27-2001, 01:19 PM
It’s unfortunate that so many rides are currently down in Fantasyland. I don’t think it is mentioned above, but the Tea Cups are also closed. The reasons for the closings is that they are recobbling the area as well as I believe touching up on some of the rides. After this particular stage is done and the rides are reopened other rides in Fantasyland will go down for recobbling in those areas.

Disney is trying to compensate for the closed attractions by adding more characters to the area. You may see some faces that are rarely seen such as the Evil Queen, (Snow White’s step-mother) Esmeralda and the Hunchback. Snow White and the Queen may perform a skit for their audience if the Queen is in the mood. Also in the area will be Alice and Co. You may be able to spot Alice, the Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Tweedel Dee and Dum, the Queen of Hearts and the Queen’s Men. They will most likely be around Casey Jr. And don’t forget the Princesses who can always be found by the castle or in Fantasyland.

Although the closed attractions may be disappointing hopefully the additional characters will help to fill the void.:cool:

EandCDad
09-27-2001, 01:27 PM
We were there on the 15th and 16th and noticed a lot more characters including a lot of rarer characters. It looks like a lot is closed but two or three rides in Fantasyland closed at a time is really not too bad. Hopefully everthing will look a lot better when they are done.

Morrigoon
09-27-2001, 03:36 PM
There's still lots to do with kids, it's just not the stuff they're expecting. If they're open to trying some different attractions (like they have a choice), there's Mansion, Pirates, the canoes, TSI, Autopia, Go-coaster, Roger Rabbit, the Carousel, Pinnocchio and Tiki. Also there's live shows, Animazement, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (or on some days, the Golden Horseshoe Variety Show, both very entertaining), and Laughing Stock (the name for that cowboy/mayor/ellie may show that takes place in front of the Golden Horseshoe throughout the day).

I'm not saying it's the ideal situation to have so much down, but I'm sure your kids will have a terrific time anyway ;)

jslivinski
10-01-2001, 11:28 AM
RE: December 1st visit. The only ride that is scheduled to be closed is Jungle Cruise. We've also heading down that weekend, but I doubt I'll make it to the hub, will have to see how things go.

RE: Discount tickets. Where is the closest Albertsons to Disneyland? We normally stay at the Residence Inn in Orange by The Block & UC Irvine.

mad4mky
10-01-2001, 01:01 PM
jslivinski....Hey, Our family is going down on December 1st too! I live on the Peninsula...
We plan on going to DL on Saturday night, Sunday and Monday. I was hoping to meet some MP'eers on Sunday when they meet at the hub. Let me know if you do go down!!! Be great to meet another Bay Area person while there.

tabacco
10-01-2001, 02:25 PM
The Albertson's thing is a SoCal discount. Sellers are supposed to ask you for a SoCal ID (ZIPs 90000-93599) before they'll sell the ticket (although many don't bother). Be forewarned :)

merlinjones
10-01-2001, 02:53 PM
Likely the Wicked Queen is in Fantasyland to help promote the imminent release of Snow White on DVD.

kualakuddlebear
10-01-2001, 03:02 PM
Momiekins,
I too will be taking my children on vacation Oct. 24th for 4 days to celebrate my youngests 5th birthday. She was really disappointed that her favorite ride (Small World ) will be closed. Not to mention all the others.
From what I understand it's because it's the slow season and the are geering up for the holidays ( their busyest time of year).
The show Fantasmic is also going to be closed at this time.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-01-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
And how I look so forward to seeing the Haunted Mansion as NBC...I'm so excited!
So, what's the deal with the special? When is it?

Cadaverous Pallor
10-02-2001, 12:36 PM
OOOOHHHHHH, you said "the Mansion as NBC", not "on NBC". My mistake. You got me all excited there. :D

mad4mky
10-02-2001, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
OOOOHHHHHH, you said "the Mansion as NBC", not "on NBC". My mistake. You got me all excited there. :D

You know, I wondered what you meant!?! I love your avatar! Course I really liked the one before it too...you know the one with THE ROCK!;)

Cadaverous Pallor
10-02-2001, 03:26 PM
Heehee, I like the rock too.....for the first week, everytime I looked at it I got the giggles. :)

But it's all about Nightmare and the Mansion redo. I am SO there.

jslivinski
10-05-2001, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by mad4mky
jslivinski....Hey, Our family is going down on December 1st too! I live on the Peninsula...
We plan on going to DL on Saturday night, Sunday and Monday. I was hoping to meet some MP'eers on Sunday when they meet at the hub. Let me know if you do go down!!! Be great to meet another Bay Area person while there.

I'm really hoping to get a chance to meet some people, but our trips are so hectic I'm not counting on making it to the hub. This time both of our trips (Dec 1 & next week) are going to be quick in/outs. Well, leave Concord late Friday afternoon, spend Saturday & Sunday at D-land and head home Monday morning. With hubby and two kids in tow, I don't hold out much hope for making a meeting, but who knows maybe things will fall into place and I'll make it.

I just noticed that this :sleep: smileys mouth opens and closes, must be snoring since it says hes sleeping. Now I think I must have imagined it, since he stopped.:confused:

kualakuddlebear
10-05-2001, 09:13 AM
HE IS SNORING..... HOW CUTE:)

mad4mky
10-05-2001, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by jslivinski

I'm really hoping to get a chance to meet some people, but our trips are so hectic I'm not counting on making it to the hub. This time both of our trips (Dec 1 & next week) are going to be quick in/outs. Well, leave Concord late Friday afternoon, spend Saturday & Sunday at D-land and head home Monday morning. With hubby and two kids in tow, I don't hold out much hope for making a meeting, but who knows maybe things will fall into place and I'll make it.

I just noticed that this :sleep: smileys mouth opens and closes, must be snoring since it says hes sleeping. Now I think I must have imagined it, since he stopped.:confused:

He's snoring...you are not imagining it.
And, we will be down on the 1st of December. But, we won't be going until the afternoon, as we will drive down that day. We are staying until Tuesday. We too will have kids in tow...3 of them.
But, I will still try to be at the hub on noon on Sunday. Like I said, I hope to meet some MP'ers there. Hope you can try also!