PDA

View Full Version : DL needs to replace HISTA with Philharmagic

jrsharp21
12-14-2003, 09:24 PM
This new Philharmagic at WDW looks pretty cool. I know it doesn't go with the Tomorrowland theme, but Rick Moranis and family need to go. This looks like the most obvious place where Disneyland can put this show.

Tigertail777
12-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Disneyland does need philharmagic, and HISTA does need to split,.... but philharmagic would be far better over in toontown. And besides Toontown needs more attractions too, and I bet there is somewhere in there it could be put.

MrTomMorrow
12-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I would say Mickey's Philharmagic doesn't really fit in Tomorrowland... but then again, they could be sneaky and say that it was part of the "Imagination Institute" - after all, the show is rather imaginative... who knows what thematic finagling they'll come up with next at the theme parks? They are putting Stitch in Tomorrowland in WDW...

disneydreams
12-14-2003, 11:08 PM
I'd like that very much.

On the Disney Channel, they showed Mickey's Philarmagic and it looks so much fun, but it's all the way on the other side of the country! :eek:

Doesn't this look like fun?! (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/attractionDetail?id=MickeysPhilharMagicAttractionP age)

The one in WDW's MK is located in Fantasyland...that makes sense...

I like MrTomMorrow's thinking with the "Imagination Institute" :p

But maybe it should be Tomorrowland to maybe sorta spice up the land?

I really think HISTA and Innoventions have to GO

zapppop
12-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Philarmagic looks like a ToonTown attraction.

Wouldn't Alien Encounter(non-Stitch version) make a better replacement for HISTA ?

merlinjones
12-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Mickey's PhilharMagic belongs in Toontown, not Tomorrowland (or perhaps in the Arts themed Golden Dreams theatre at DCA) - - but pre-Stitch Alien Encounter doesn't belong in Walt's Tomorrowland either.

I saw strapped-in children, unable to reach out and hug their parents, nearly traumatized by that experience at WDW. seeing those the kids scream was disturbing. It's not for Disneyland, IMHO. (Stitch maybe).

CoasterMatt
12-15-2003, 07:28 AM
I'd put Philharmagic in Toontown, and how about just ONCE, something NEW in Tomorrowland, not just leftovers from other parks? Disneyland has just about become equivalent to Six Flags Astroworld - they just seem to get rides that the other parks have tired of.

HighwayInTheSky
12-15-2003, 08:29 AM
Looks like the Szalinski's will be around a little longer.

HISTA gets a remodeled preshow and film the second week
of Jan. Supposed to be just like Epcot. Too bad the main film
won't be updated.

sediment
12-15-2003, 08:48 AM
PhilharMagic was alright, but nothing to write home about. Yes, better than "Shrunk," but the line will shrink with the same pattern that Shrunk has here. It will probably do well for a while in WDW.

jrad32
12-15-2003, 08:58 AM
How about a new non-movie attraction instead of recycled shows. If they want to put Philharmagic in Toon Town more power to them, but it doesn't fit in TL.

HISTA sucks donkeys, and needs to go, but they need to put a new ride there that fits the TL themeing.

Crispy
12-15-2003, 12:19 PM
I'm just curious... I am an east coaster and have vistied WDW far more many times that DL. At WDW, HISTA still continues to be a popular attraction and is not regarded with the same derision as I see DL visitors give it. Families that visit WDW over and over still consider it a "must do." Why all the anti-HISTA sentiment at DL? I thought HISTA was the one positive thing that came out of the 98 Tomorrowland redo.

Cris

merlinjones
12-15-2003, 01:01 PM
>>I thought HISTA was the one positive thing that came out of the 98 Tomorrowland redo.<<

I think the one positive thing to come out of Tomorrowland 98 was the return of Moonliner. It's great to have that image back in the park.

LSPoorEeyorick
12-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by MrTomMorrow
who knows what thematic finagling they'll come up with next at the theme parks? They are putting Stitch in Tomorrowland in WDW...

Well, it's been at least ten years since Tomorrowland ceased to be tomorrowy. After all, isn't Star Tours set a long time ago in a galaxy far away? And lord knows the highways have developed; unless they instated hybrid cars, Autopia just about belongs in Frontierland. It's not Walt's concept, but at least ScienceFantasy land is right next to its science-less counterpart.

ChipmunkStar
12-15-2003, 02:54 PM
LOL, well if it's really like what it says it is, then it doesn't belong in ToonTown.

"ATTRACTIONS LIKE THIS:
The Tree of Life
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™
Splash Mountain®
Cinderella Castle"

sediment
12-16-2003, 09:13 AM
For the most part, DL guests are jaded local Californians drenched in entertainment choices (or worse, work in the "industry").
Same reason Country Bears are still in WDW and gone from DL.

olegc
12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Upon reading the description of Philharmagic on several sites, and seeing the DisneyChannel preview, this show really could not go into ToonTown. The idea ToonTown is that these characters live here and they are Toons - slapstic, silly gags, classic shows, etc. Mickey's Philharmagic has too many of the Fantasyland characters (or in fact character depictions from all over) to really be placed in ToonTown.

However, it's not appropriate for Tomorrowland either.

I know - close Village Haus and transform it into the theater - then just build more ODV permanent carts! (ouch, ok, stop throwing things at me).

I'd love to see this in DL - but it may have to go into Fantasyland or- hey, how about MainStreet Cinema.

One final idea - put it into the DisneyAnimation building in DCA. Another attraction for Hollywood Backlot. It fits the theme, goes with the Character Angle (animation), and brings that Magic. No, I am not a huge fan of DCA - but it fits there...

Dean Higgins
12-16-2003, 01:15 PM
I got an idea... how 'bout ditching these lame movie attractions altogether.

Oh wait, that'll never happen because they are so much cheaper to build than full-scale "Pirates"/"Mansion"/"Roger Rabbit" type attractions. God forbid Uncle Mikey should pour some of those millions into the parks instead of his own pockets.

Everytime I go on one of these, I feel ripped off. I feel like I could pretty much replicate all these types of attractions at home. I could just put in the movie and get someone to shake my chair around.

sediment
12-16-2003, 01:58 PM
And don't forget having someone spit in your face! That's always a joy.

Someone will have to prove that these old-fashioned rides are money-makers. We have magic, but that doesn't translate well in a PP Presentation.

We could try some kind of lifetime expectancy: HISTA is nearly dead after some five years or so (someone get the actual number?) and seems in need of a replacement, while HM, POTC are in 30+ years or so, and still attract people to the park in some small way.
Initial capital costs are amortized over some number of years, and the remaining years are gravy.
Maintenance on moving parts is the real bummer for old-fashioned rides versus movies. That's hard bucks shelled out.

Hard-edged surveys are the only way to prove that people show up for the "Disney" rides, and not the "Eisner" attractions.
"Would you come to Disneyland if five of your favorite attractions were not operating?"
"How about three?"
"What are your favorite rides/attractions?"
"Of these rides/attractions, order them by favorite:..."

olegc
12-16-2003, 02:16 PM
That's always the issue with movie-based attractions. They are designed to be easily changed out with a different movie/attraction. However - if the owner of this attraction does not care to update, i.e. sees costs as too high, instead of looking at the probable increase in attendance given the "new" aspect of a new movie.

This will probably fall on Soarin' over California, and maybe even more quickly on Soarin' over Florida (oh, sorry, that's California too).

The issue boils down to not reinvesting the cost savings from the upfront design decision to make a movie-attraction. You could say Star Tours suffers from this a little as well.

Dean Higgins
12-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Imagineers were very proud of what they had in store for an EPISODE I overhaul of STAR TOURS... but Eisner didn't like LUCAS' budget for the new one and scrapped the whole idea.

George and Mike don't talk anymore now either. So wherever LUCAS attractions are at this moment is probably where they will stay.

sediment
12-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Time for Roy and Stanley to make nice with Lucas. And Pixar. And Dole (the company). And FedEx. And...

Tigertail777
12-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Upon reading the description of Philharmagic on several sites, and seeing the DisneyChannel preview, this show really could not go into ToonTown. The idea ToonTown is that these characters live here and they are Toons - slapstic, silly gags, classic shows, etc. Mickey's Philharmagic has too many of the Fantasyland characters (or in fact character depictions from all over) to really be placed in ToonTown.

I am not a big fan of the movie attractions... but philharmagic as far as those kinds of attractions go, looks pretty special.

I don't understand the reasoning why it wouldnt fit into toontown... the "who framed roger rabbit" movie has all kinds of "classical" characters in it, and a lot of them in the ink and paint club. So, toontown has a concert hall for higher class evenings of music for its citizens... I dont see why it doesnt fit in? Obviously Toontown is based on the one in roger rabbit which is a place where ALL toons live, so just cause they are toons doesnt mean they are always being slapstick... thats how they act as actors, I am sure in their time off they do other "normal" things. (and I just realized how absolutely surreal this conversation is LOL).:D You get the idea...