PDA

View Full Version : The problem with the newer attractions

termoo
12-13-2003, 08:53 AM
My 10-year old daughter and I just got back from a 3 1/2 day trip to DL and DCA, and I figured out what I don't like about the newer dark rides (Pooh, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Superstar Limo--which I had gone on a couple of years ago, and even Roger Rabbit to some extent). It's the bright flourescent paint that they use on everything--it makes the ride look cheesy and carnival-ish. If you ride the older ones (Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Snow White, even Splash Mtn.) you'll notice the colors are much more subdued and real-looking.

We had a great trip, by the way--crowds were manageable (Monday being the worst of our Mon-Thurs. trip) and alone time spent with my daughter was priceless.

I did notice a big difference, even since I went one year ago, in the overall CM attitude. Lots more chatting among themselves, less enthusiasm--downright grouchiness first thing in the morning from one of the ones at the front gate!) and some attractions had hardly anyone running them. Our first time on the Matterhorn on Tuesday morning, guests were basically loading themselves while the CM stood there doing nothing. It was sad to me. It was the older CM's that still seemed to capture the spirit. And the characters were still wonderful.

Do you think it's a matter or morale, bad hiring, or just the general lack of work ethic nowadays?

Andrew
12-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by termoo
downright grouchiness first thing in the morning from one of the ones at the front gate!

Morning grouchiness can usually be attributed to a need for caffiene (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23218).

Glad you had a great time otherwise!

EandCDad
12-13-2003, 09:52 AM
In general I've found CM's both young and old who have been very helpful and cheery (I frankly, don't care if a CM is cheery, as long as they are competent and hard working, but that's just me). I think there are some CMs who are lame-o. They are nicely disbursed through-out the park in all departments. Usually the nice, helpful, competent CM's outnumber them by far.

I have noticed that most rides have fewer CM's than you would like. However, it doesn't seem to detract from the ride experience usually. However, our kids spend a lot of time in Fantasyland and it seems like most of those rides only need one or two CM's at most.

I like the new dark rides about as much as I like the old dark rides, which is, somewhat, but not that much.

iwannabeanimagineer
12-13-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by termoo
It's the bright flourescent paint that they use on everything--it makes the ride look cheesy and carnival-ish. If you ride the older ones (Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Snow White, even Splash Mtn.) you'll notice the colors are much more subdued and real-looking.
Isn't that just because they're faded? I recall plenty of fluorescent paint on all of the above. They use photoluminescent paint with ultraviolet light to make things "pop", especially on two-dimensional scene pieces. They've been doing it in the Fantasyland dark rides since 1955. The UV (or "black light") is what makes your watch dial, teeth and white clothes glow in those rooms.