PDA

View Full Version : If they had a Cal Ripken day....

Darkbeer
09-26-2001, 10:03 PM
and called DCA, Disney's CAL Adventures for a day, then they should have a Tony Gwynn day!!!! He was born and raised in Los Angeles, and played his entire college and professional career in San Diego!!! How much more California can you get???

Heck, then they can have a Barry Bonds day for San Francisco, and Rickey Henderson day for Oakland/San Diego....

Kevin Brown, well he can spend the $15 million he will get for not playing (due to injury) at the Disneyland Resort to help the economy:rolleyes:

The only thing better will be when they ask Doug Flutie where he will be going after winning the Super Bowl this season:D

Flubber
09-28-2001, 11:28 AM
Couldn't have said it better.

SD sports fans don't have much but what we got we're damn proud of!

Flub

Nigel2
09-28-2001, 11:01 PM
Remember he was on tour at the time they did this, plus you try to come up with a name that would work? But yeah there are alot of unsung players and so forth. Also why isn't anything south of Hollywood Represented in DCA? Unless you cout soarin's video, but thats the extent.

MickeyD
09-28-2001, 11:32 PM
Ok, you guys have hit on something that has always bugged me about DCA's Golden Dreams. At the end there is that montage of California's great athlete, etc. and San Diego gets no love at all. I mean, come on, you don't get any more California than Tony Gwynn.

(Did they really have a Cal Ripken day? That is so sad.)

Darkbeer
09-28-2001, 11:42 PM
Yes, it was even reported her at MP, I think it was April or May, the first time Cal played against the Angels this season. They had a big ceremony, and covered up all the other letters in the enterance plaza than the first three that day.

By the way, I admire Cal Ripkin Jr, he is a class act, but heck, if this is supposed to be a "California" park, Cal never played for a California team, or lived in California....

Nigel2
09-29-2001, 12:20 AM
It probably had to do more with the fact that he had played for so long and he was now doing the tour, and collecting all the goodies that they were willing to bestow on him.

Darkbeer
09-29-2001, 05:42 AM
Tony Gwynn has basically done the same thing, played for so long, for the same team, and set MLB records. They are both assured of entering the Hall of Fame in five years (The first year that they will be eligible, ESPN had originally planned to cover BOTH games last Sunday, which would have been the last home games for both Cal and Tony. My question was if they honored Cal, with no California connections (except that he plays against the Angels), why did they not do the same for Tony, who is a California native, and played for a California Team his entire career???

To be fair, the Angels did honor Tony the last game he played in Anaheim, and gave him some nice gifts.

EandCDad
09-29-2001, 09:22 AM
Darkbeer, you are absolutely right. The goal here was to get some pub for the park, not really honor a specific person for anything related to California. His name worked, it would get them on some national media outlets and publicize a park that desperately needed it.

Tony would have been a more fitting recipient and since he is also on his farewell tour it would have been just as appropriate as Cal. But the Disney's Tony Adventure just doesn't have that ring.

Darkbeer
10-21-2001, 08:53 AM
As I sit here getting ready to watch the LA Galaxy win the MLS Cup, here is another reason to have a special day....

The costs of having one or more of these special events can not be that expensive, and should bring in more than enough additional media coverage/attention, plus sell a few more admissions to people that would like to be there to honor these folks.....

Tony left the game in style....

Rickey broke both Ty Cobb's runs scored record, and got his 3,000 hit this year.

Barry Bonds broke Mark McGuire's Home Run record

The Oakland A's advanced to the American League Playoffs....

Time to see the Galaxy finally win the MLS cup.....

Napsto
10-21-2001, 12:24 PM
Lakers are poised to 3-Peat this year!

Darkbeer
11-04-2001, 07:36 PM
Congrats to the D'Backs, the National League WEST champion wins the 2001 World Series....

Co-MVP's Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling!!!!

But, let me say, if DCA honors the D'Backs, WITHOUT recognizing Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson, Barry Bonds, and the Oakland A's.... SOMETHING IS WRONG.... Last time I checked, the "C" in DCA stands for California....

Congrats again to the D'Backs.....

zapppop
11-04-2001, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
Lakers are poised to 3-Peat this year!

CO
...OL !

Marko50
11-05-2001, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
....Co-MVP's Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling!!!!

But, let me say, if DCA honors the D'Backs, WITHOUT recognizing Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson, Barry Bonds, and the Oakland A's.... SOMETHING IS WRONG.... Last time I checked, the "C" in DCA stands for California....

While I agree with everything you've said - and not said - how could you leave out Rickey breaking Babe Ruth's career walks record this year? - remember the tradition of having the VIP's of the Series/Super Bowl/whatever winners at Disneyland/WDW. Don't be surprised to see either Johnson or Schilling say, "I'm going to....". Though I'm not sure anyone nicknamed "The Big Unit" would be considered family entertainment.